R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Smardav
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 exhaust

Hi all, I am new to Mini. I just bought a R56 BRC Cooper S Hatch with 6-speed manual as my new daily. What a joy to drive for its price. I want to replace it’s exhaust as it doesn’t produce enough sound to me. I want some growl when revving, pop during engine brake, but NO drone on hwy cruising. Three exhaust that comes to mind are Borla, Milltek, or Quicksilver. Which one would you recommend for price vs quality? I am open to other brands as well.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:40 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Exhaust sound is highly subjective and personal. I highly recommend you listen to someone else's Mini, that has a sound you like, and get a system like theirs.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:27 AM
holkki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a new downpipe, add sound and power in the same package...My choice is akrapovic, not too loud ,but there are also other good options .The exhaust gases flows better, which also increases engine sensitivity to take revs easily.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I have the Invidia Q300. Great quality for the price (about $300 cheaper then the next system) but it does drone. I added a $100 resonator and that pretty much takes car of the issue.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I would listen to them on youtube and see which one you like best, sound is subjective, one person likes loud decats and another person just wants to be louder then stock. Milltek, borla..ec cant go wrong. The Akrapovic sounds and fits great. The Valved systems by IPE and FI are awesome sounding but loud for some people.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-19-2018, 08:44 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
By far the Akrapovic is the best, but does cost the most, but worth it and fits perfect every time
https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html

Otherwise the Invidia is a good choice a bit louder though and fit not as well, but does fit pretty good for the price.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/invidi...haust-r56.html

The Quicksilver is also good and fits a bit better with good sound
https://www.waymotorworks.com/quicks...7-r58-r59.html

Those are all full exh that connect to the downpipe and go all the way back. The others like the Borla are just rear muffler sections so hard to justify their cost being just a muffler.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
By far the Akrapovic is the best, but does cost the most, but worth it and fits perfect every time

Otherwise the Invidia is a good choice a bit louder though and fit not as well, but does fit pretty good for the price.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/invidi...haust-r56.html

The Quicksilver is also good and fits a bit better with good sound
https://www.waymotorworks.com/quicks...7-r58-r59.html

Those are all full exh that connect to the downpipe and go all the way back. The others like the Borla are just rear muffler sections so hard to justify their cost being just a muffler.
Man that Akrapovic exhaust does sound magnoglorious on a drive-by. Does the exhaust sound deeper/heavier than a factory JCW exhaust?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:57 AM
Cab00se
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
If you're after a better sound when running it through the gears but don't want the highway drone I'd suggest going with a catless downpipe. I wanted more growl from mine and it's perfect paired with the stock exhaust. Definitely louder when going through the gears but when cruising on the highway it's just slightly louder with no drone, plus you get a nice bump in the seat helping the turbo breathe better.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:09 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cab00se
If you're after a better sound when running it through the gears but don't want the highway drone I'd suggest going with a catless downpipe. I wanted more growl from mine and it's perfect paired with the stock exhaust. Definitely louder when going through the gears but when cruising on the highway it's just slightly louder with no drone, plus you get a nice bump in the seat helping the turbo breathe better.
I appreciate your insight. I cannot run catless, here in Dallas we are emissions tested annually.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
leave the cat.. ditch the resonator ASAP! If you can find a used JCW rear section/ muffler for cheap.. it will sound great. Otherwise its likely you can find a replacement muffler like Magnaflow, to get rid of the OEM box.

*straight pipe/no res from the cat to JCW muffler, cracks and pops all day. I have to be careful around cops when the car is hot.. it cracks loud enough to get the red&blues going.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by jcwcoopster
Man that Akrapovic exhaust does sound magnoglorious on a drive-by. Does the exhaust sound deeper/heavier than a factory JCW exhaust?
It's a different tone hard to describe but still pretty tame.

I have it on my GP and feel it doesn't drone like the stock JCW did on the highway. But get more low end sound and more pop and burble than I did with the JCW.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
It's a different tone hard to describe but still pretty tame.

I have it on my GP and feel it doesn't drone like the stock JCW did on the highway. But get more low end sound and more pop and burble than I did with the JCW.
Ok so I think I am sold on the Akrapovic exhaust. I would like to do the DP they have and realize that I could get a check engine light. If I am only running a stock tune on the my Mini JCW do you think I ma still going to get a dreaded CEL? The exhaust system sounds especially good with the DP installed.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 AM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Chop off the resonator and cat. Videos on YouTube don’t really do any justice of actually sitting in someone’s mini though.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by asysavanh
Chop off the resonator and cat. Videos on YouTube don’t really do any justice of actually sitting in someone’s mini though.
Well I won't be chopping off the catalytic (terrrible for humans and car won't pass inspection/emission testing)

Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Well I won't be chopping off the catalytic (terrrible for humans and car won't pass inspection/emission testing)
If it's the downstream cat it will pass emissions fine.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:02 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
If it's the downstream cat it will pass emissions fine.
I have the one main cat. JCW cooper.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Ok so I think I am sold on the Akrapovic exhaust. I would like to do the DP they have and realize that I could get a check engine light. If I am only running a stock tune on the my Mini JCW do you think I ma still going to get a dreaded CEL? The exhaust system sounds especially good with the DP installed.
We have done this combo several times and actually not had a light, but sometimes you still can. If you do we would work with you as there are a few options to fix it.

We have them in stock and ready to ship too. As the price is now the lowest it's ever been with FREE Ship

downpipe

Old 02-22-2018, 04:37 PM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
We have done this combo several times and actually not had a light, but sometimes you still can. If you do we would work with you as there are a few options to fix it.

We have them in stock and ready to ship too. As the price is now the lowest it's ever been with FREE Ship

downpipe
Will the Milltek Down Pipe mate up to the Stock JCW exhaust with no modifications? Is the same true of the Akrapovic Down Pipe mated to the JCW exhaust?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
yes and yes. *Both are 2.5" and have the same taper bell end for connecting to the Vband at your flex adapter

Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Will the Milltek Down Pipe mate up to the Stock JCW exhaust with no modifications? Is the same true of the Akrapovic Down Pipe mated to the JCW exhaust?
Yes both will bolt right up. I prefer the Akrapovic myself.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 AM
bongshi4
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cat and res

I removed my 2nd cat and resonator with stock gen2.5 S exhaust.

It's louder and gives more pops.

There is no drone up to 80mph, and if you go above 80mph, you can hear bit of drone sound, but it's quite okay that you can ignore.

Check this video link for my exhaust sound.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Without removing any cats, I had a pretty decent sound with no drone just by deleting the resonator. Simple straight pipe welded into place with my stock 2011 MCS system. Then went with the Remus Powersound cat-back system. Really love the sound, and don't notice any drone. The Remus has manually adjustable flaps in the outlet pipes, so you can adjust the sound a bit. I always run mine wide open. LOL. Listening to sound clips is great, but remember that computers do not reproduce the sound you will hear in person.