R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Any one ever try this.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:26 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Any one ever try this.

taking a
big brake kit
front's
&
putting them on the back
12 piston up front
&
12 piston in the back
any one!
iv seen it
in the V8 world

could be fun

Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,706 Likes on 1,375 Posts
Would look killer, but would need to install a bias valve to make sure the rear brakes don’t overpower the fronts. With all the weight in the front of the Mini, the brake balance would be way off, and you’d be locking up the rear wheels constantly.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Would look killer, but would need to install a bias valve to make sure the rear brakes don’t overpower the fronts. With all the weight in the front of the Mini, the brake balance would be way off, and you’d be locking up the rear wheels constantly.
Totally agree.

Take a look at this conversion -

http://www.gtt.uk.com/product/mini-g...ke-conversion/

Old 11-19-2017, 07:25 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
I’ve never
played with a
proportioning
valve
but i can’t imagine
It being to hard
good
proportioning
would Cost
any where from 45 to 250 bucks
Miata guys are doing it can’t be
to hard
hahahahhahah

Old 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thats crazy. Best brakes i have used so far is the GP2 ECS BBK conversion. Its like a MINI GT3 RS. When you hit the brakes hard, you better hold on.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-massive.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
what njaremka said. Brake balance is important.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, thats why we have the upgraded JCW rear for the NON JCW cars. Also, we include the upgraded GP2 master cylinder for that kit. Pedal modulation is key. I would say on any kit as large the 6 pots or larger in volume then the 4 pots you will need a gp2 type master. Otherwise its light at first, then all brakes. The JCW 4 pots and systems that are around (brembo, stoptech..) that size and smaller are good without the larger master.
The ABS JCW flash for the 4 pots helps and is a must for the GP2 kit otherwise the ABS is way too sensitive.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you can certainly do that I am sure... but it begs the question.... WHY? Stock brakes all around can snap necks.. there is no additional braking power to gain with huge brakes in back.... Larger brakes will provide no benefit except they last longer on the track before overheating/fading... a matched set like the JCW etc is best upgrade... your idea... IMO... falls into the lights under the car, stretched tires look etc... if that is what you like... go for it!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I have tracked with the GP2 kit at many local track meets, had the Cooper, Cooper S, and JCW 4 pots before. My corner braking was far better. I had to watch the MINIs behind Me because the MINI club members would not brake as fast and bump me. They asked what I was running and I pointed to the GP2 setup. You can feel a huge difference on the track and daily driving. Its night an day between the 4 pot JCW to 6 pots. And another huge jump from the single Cooper and Cooper S to 4 pot JCW. Thats what I felt. Been tracking MINIs since 2004.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Don’t think
it would be hard
to find the balance
might be time consuming
but doable
without a doubt
the jcw / gp brake’s
would be plenty
but
Once again this is where the mini world
Falls flat on their face when it
comes to performance oriented innovation
There is no reason why people build thousand horsepower four-cylinder’s but they still do it
i’m really starting to believe there’s just not enough innovation in the mini world

Old 11-28-2017, 12:59 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Ive never tracked mine.. but I already feel like I can rotate the car very well by late braking on the stock JCW 4pots. I cant imagine what the increase to 6pots will feel like..though id bet you could nose dive through the tarmac and/or spin the car like a top with the power in those front calipers!

*whats the weight difference like between the GP2 fronts and JCW stock?..any idea?

Old 11-28-2017, 01:09 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You can feel a little bit more weight on the front end on the 4 pots vs. the 6 pots. Yes they do stop like crazy. It does not noise dive as much as you would think. Its balanced with the larger GP2 master. Compare it to a Cooper S set up and you can feel the weight much more and the nose dive. But the car has such a tight factory suspension and its short it does not nose dive like other cars with huge front brakes. For stopping, in general, the 6 pots are on a whole nother level. You can brake late and feels like you are going into the windshield. It's like a supercar with warmed up carbon ceramic brakes.

You have to watch what cars are tailing you in traffic because no matter what car they have you can stop faster than them hands down. And the brakes don't heat up after a track day, tried to get them hot and they did not get that hot. Of course, i was on stock pads. Aggressive pads and that will change. The factory JCW brake ducts help also.

Search this Thread