R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Looking to start preparing for the 2018 seasons. Would like some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Mario Pereira
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to start preparing for the 2018 seasons. Would like some suggestions

Hey guys and girls, it's my first time posting. I had bought a 2013 MCS last August and it currently has 45k miles. So far I have done an intake, DP, and catless exhaust. I am preparing to go stage 2.

My question for you guys is what should I focus on first. I was either going to do FMIC, tune, and tires. Or do suspension, sway bars, rims and tires. The reasoning behind the suspension and rims upgrade together is more for the nice drop and more aggressive look with offset rims. The suspension I have now isn't in bad shape yet. But I don't want to put power down and my car lose performance through turns because it won't stick well. I'm also open for other opinions on which route I should choose for upgrades. As well as what I should add to my wishlist. I appreciate any feedback thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Mario- How are you going to use the car? If it's a daily driver, follow your gut on how a particular mod would make the car more fun to drive. It sounds like you mods so far are aiming toward more power. If that's your inclination, consider a tune from someone with MINI experience and a good reputation...and since you're in a hot climate, perhaps a FMIC if you think you need it. If the suspension mods and wheels are to get an aggressive look, then go that way, but the bang for buck might not be as much....and there are many suspension mods that are ill-advised.

If you might autocross the car, then you should consider starting with some mild suspension tweaks....maybe a rear sway bar.

If you're not sure what your final goal is (that would be me on many past cars), I'd recommend continuing to figure it out by doing some mods that sound like fun to you and can be reversed without too much effort.

The following users liked this post:
Mario Pereira (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Mario Pereira
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As of right now it is going to be my daily driver for maybe the next 2 or 3 years. I am definitely aiming for more power and have done pretty extensive research on the manic stage 2 tune which is what I was preparing for. I'm not familiar on what kind of suspension set ups work and what additions would be as you said ill-adviced. I just figured if I did rims with any offset to make it flush it would look stupid without a suspension upgrade. As far as a rear sway bar, I plan on removing the back seats so I would want to do something like how the GP is. Like I said I haven't done much research on this yet.