R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Question about Official MINI GPS Mounting Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question about Official MINI GPS Mounting Kit

I bought the MINI mounting kit plus the bracket GPS mount, since I have a new Garmin Nuvi 2497 (no Mini brand).
I have some questions about the devices and about the mounting kit, surely you can help me before starting the installation:

1) I could see the mounting kit I bought has 2 wires and it must be connected to the X19527 OBD2 port instead of Tach X9002 power line (4 wires mounting kit).
Anyone know if it is a clear install to the OBD2 back side or the 2 wires should be connected to the ODB2 port assigned pins as a "device"?
In the second case I don't like that, since I should disconnect the GPS to connect (in example) a OBD2 scanner.
I'm a clean installations lover ...

2) In the case of there is not way to make a clean install to the OBD2 port, it is anyone offering all the necessary to get the mounting kit connected to X9002? (pin housing and socket housing).

3) I'm trying to change the factory splash screen from the blue Garmin logo to something related with MINI, but it seems the Nüvi 2497 is not allowing it.
There is not option in Picture Viewer to set the image as the "start image".
No images on the GPS when exploring it through the PC. It seems the images are coded inside the software.
In other Garmin models is really as easy as copy & paste an image just with the correct size.

4) I like the idea of installing the reverse camera with the Nüvi 2497 (Garmin BC 30)
And since I'm using a extra camera on the windshield to record the traffic I will get the Garmin DriveAssist soon so I could delete the aftermarket chinese front camera and manage front and rear camera from the Garmin unit.
Anyone with front camera view issues with the Garmin built-in camera on this MINI mounting kit?

5) Finally, I was searching on NAM a thread about the best place on a R56 to insert the reverse camera (with less modification, avoid drilling if possible, etc) and a guide about the place to connect the power (reverse bulb wiring colors on tail light socket, I believe) but without success...

Last edited by miniuy; 03-20-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:52 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniuy
I bought the MINI mounting kit plus the bracket GPS mount, since I have a new Garmin Nuvi 2497 (no Mini brand).
I have some questions about the devices and about the mounting kit, surely you can help me before starting the installation:

1) I could see the mounting kit I bought has 2 wires and it must be connected to the X19527 OBD2 port instead of Tach X9002 power line (4 wires mounting kit).
Anyone know if it is a clear install to the OBD2 back side or the 2 wires should be connected to the ODB2 port assigned pins as a "device"?
In the second case I don't like that, since I should disconnect the GPS to connect (in example) a OBD2 scanner.
I'm a clean installations lover ...

2) In the case of there is not way to make a clean install to the OBD2 port, it is anyone offering all the necessary to get the mounting kit connected to X9002? (pin housing and socket housing).

3) I'm trying to change the factory splash screen from the blue Garmin logo to something related with MINI, but it seems the Nüvi 2497 is not allowing it.
There is not option in Picture Viewer to set the image as the "start image".
No images on the GPS when exploring it through the PC. It seems the images are coded inside the software.
In other Garmin models is really as easy as copy & paste an image just with the correct size.

4) I like the idea of installing the reverse camera with the Nüvi 2497 (Garmin BC 30)
And since I'm using a extra camera on the windshield to record the traffic I will get the Garmin DriveAssist soon so I could delete the aftermarket chinese front camera and manage front and rear camera from the Garmin unit.
Anyone with front camera view issues with the Garmin built-in camera on this MINI mounting kit?

5) Finally, I was searching on NAM a thread about the best place on a R56 to insert the reverse camera (with less modification, avoid drilling if possible, etc) and a guide about the place to connect the power (reverse bulb wiring colors on tail light socket, I believe) but without success...
Anyone?

Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Today the mounting kit was received!

Old 04-09-2017, 04:57 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Mounting Kit installed in less than 30 minutes and working like a charm.
Now, waiting for the Garmin BC-30 camera to install it.

Anyone with the tail lights wiring pin/color socket diagram?
I will need to connect the cam power wires to the backup light lines.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
bumping!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM
lkarider
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
My first post so any comments/critique will be appreciated. I have a 2012 MINI Cooper S Roadster with a Garmin 2509 mounted on an aftermarket mount purchased from GoMiniGo.com. I also added a Garmin BC-30 Backup camera. I had problems with the camera installation, until I found that the Camera instructions contained a Warning that cars with a system that sense burned out exterior light bulbs (they especially list "BMW") will not work without inserting a relay in the "Trigger Circuit." Since MINI is made by BMW and has a bulb sensing system, the light circuit is not a "clean" DC circuit and will not trigger the camera to activate. l tapped into the power circuit for the Boot Illumination Light and found a common relay at my local Auto Parts Store to add to the connection to the Backup Lights. This is not "elegant", but I ran a wire down to the rear of the Bumper and tapped into the wire into the Backup Lights. I then used Liquid Rubber to weatherproof the connection. I recall the Brown wire is the Ground and you need to tap into the other wire (I forget the color and I am not at home where MINI is garaged.) My camera mounting location is next to the License Plate Light. I drilled a hole into the underside of the area where the Lights and the Boot Latch is located to run the wire from the camera. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Lkarider, thank you for your answer.
I have the back up lights check disabled (NCS) then I assume there should be no problems with the camera power.

I have read that the camera easily gets dirty in the place that you installed it (less than in the bumper, but it gets very dirty).
Is that true or just an exaggeration?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:56 AM
lkarider
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIuy,

Regarding the camera mounting location being prone to dirt, I find that it does get foggy in the rain. I don't notice any degradation from dust or other dirt.
Good luck with your mod.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
lkarider,

thank you for the explanation.
Next week I will be receiving the camera and then installing it on the license plate area.
I will be sharing the pics.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:30 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Anyone with the backup power wires colors info for the 2010 R56?
Still on the way of installing the BC-30 cam...