R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Connected

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Bill-SD
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini Connected

I bought a 2013 MCS a couple months ago and it has the Mini Connected option. For the life of me, I can't get that to do anything. It came with a Y cable that plugs into an old iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 and tried using the Y cable with an adapter, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how the Mini Connected works, or could point me to some documentation about it?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2017, 05:29 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-15-2017, 05:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
http://www.mini.com/connectivity/index.html

You need the correct Y cable. This is the newest one for the Iphone 5 upward lighting cable.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/apple-iphone-5-5c-6-6+-lightning-usb-y-cable-music-media/61122408012/

The older Y cables were media and audio separate part # cables. The newer Y cable is media and audio music both.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill-SD
I bought a 2013 MCS a couple months ago and it has the Mini Connected option. For the life of me, I can't get that to do anything. It came with a Y cable that plugs into an old iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 and tried using the Y cable with an adapter, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how the Mini Connected works, or could point me to some documentation about it?

Thanks!
Was the adapter an Apple adapter or an Amazon/3rd party one? 3rd party adapters don't seem to work with the Y-cable. Double check to see if you have the right Y-Cable as well. Yours should have no box in the middle and the headphone jack plug should have 3 rings on it.

That being said, the only feature MINI Connected offers for the 2nd gen MINIs would be 3rd party app integration. If you use Pandora, Amazon Music, Spotify, or some others, you can control the app on the screen rather than the phone. However, I think Bluetooth audio is easier and requires less set up each time.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM
pizzaman09
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Bluetooth audio works great and you can still control it with the steering wheel controls.

For long trips I will link up the phone for music, for everyday driving a CD makes me happy, or radio.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Bill-SD
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Was the adapter an Apple adapter or an Amazon/3rd party one? 3rd party adapters don't seem to work with the Y-cable. Double check to see if you have the right Y-Cable as well. Yours should have no box in the middle and the headphone jack plug should have 3 rings on it.

That being said, the only feature MINI Connected offers for the 2nd gen MINIs would be 3rd party app integration. If you use Pandora, Amazon Music, Spotify, or some others, you can control the app on the screen rather than the phone. However, I think Bluetooth audio is easier and requires less set up each time.
I did try with an Apple adapter. My with uses it on her BMW and it works on that. I do listen to Pandora so it would be nice to see the station/song info on the screen. Since I haven't gotten that to work, I assume I should be able to see the info display? I just feel like the car came with the connected option, and I'm not taking advantage of it.

I did set up Bluetooth audio but that only plays my iPhone playlist. Should I be able to stream app radio also?

Old 03-23-2017, 06:16 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill-SD
I did try with an Apple adapter. My with uses it on her BMW and it works on that. I do listen to Pandora so it would be nice to see the station/song info on the screen. Since I haven't gotten that to work, I assume I should be able to see the info display? I just feel like the car came with the connected option, and I'm not taking advantage of it.

I did set up Bluetooth audio but that only plays my iPhone playlist. Should I be able to stream app radio also?
Double check to see if you have the right Y-cable - there are two and one of them does not work with your setup.

You can use whatever app you want for Bluetooth Audio. Just connect to your phone via BT audio first (CD/MULTIMEDIA --> EXTERNAL DEVICES --> [PHONE NAME]) then launch Pandora or whatever on your phone.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes, you might have one of the older part # cables when they were separated one for music and one for media. Now they are all in one.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Bill-SD
1st Gear
Hmm, maybe it is a cable issue. I tried with the Y-cable/Apple adapter that my wife uses on her 2014 BMW. I assumed that was the same as on the 2013 Mini. I did get a Y-cable with the Mini when I bought it. I'll try using the adapter with that cable and see if I have better luck.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 PM
hanks
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
find someone with NCSexpert and have them change your USB Audio to digital. You will then have audio over USB.

The following users liked this post:
stiksandstones (12-14-2021)