Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2011 R56 Cooper S clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Jdoublea18
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R56 Cooper S clutch issues

Looking for some help analyzing symptoms/faults...

My wife's mini recently started experiencing light clutch slipping in higher gears. Car has ~75k miles on it...possible for the clutch plate to need to be replaced.

She was trying to limp along until we could put the car up for service. The other day the clutch pedal sank to the floor while she was running errands...the car got towed home. I've been trying to troubleshoot for the last few days.

The clutch pedal is rock hard...1-2 inches of travel at most. Slave cylinder can be removed from bellhousing with no effect on the clutch pedal operation.

Mechanical linkage from the pedal to master cylinder seems to be in decent shape.

lots of reports of slave cylinder failures around 2005 for minis....could a slave or master cylinder failure cause the pedal lock and the lead up to full seizure leading to partial clutch engagement/slippage?

anyone seen similar symptoms before? I've read quite a few other posts from folks but none seem to pair the two issues...I'd hate to drop the transmission if the the hydraulic side and vice versa.

thanks for any help!
Jeff

Old 03-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Jdoublea18
Neutral
Bump
Originally Posted by Jdoublea18
Looking for some help analyzing symptoms/faults...

My wife's mini recently started experiencing light clutch slipping in higher gears. Car has ~75k miles on it...possible for the clutch plate to need to be replaced.

She was trying to limp along until we could put the car up for service. The other day the clutch pedal sank to the floor while she was running errands...the car got towed home. I've been trying to troubleshoot for the last few days.

The clutch pedal is rock hard...1-2 inches of travel at most. Slave cylinder can be removed from bellhousing with no effect on the clutch pedal operation.

Mechanical linkage from the pedal to master cylinder seems to be in decent shape.

lots of reports of slave cylinder failures around 2005 for minis....could a slave or master cylinder failure cause the pedal lock and the lead up to full seizure leading to partial clutch engagement/slippage?

anyone seen similar symptoms before? I've read quite a few other posts from folks but none seem to pair the two issues...I'd hate to drop the transmission if the the hydraulic side and vice versa.

thanks for any help!
Jeff

Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I've seen a few posts about the clutch fork breaking. If the clutch was slipping, you'll need to take it apart anyways..

Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM
sharmadaven
2nd Gear
Personally to me it sounds like a clutch fork. From my knowledge a bad slave cylinder shouldn't cause a rock hard pedal. Did a Clutch change this December and wasn't too bad. Pelican has a good article on a how to. If you do go through with it I recommend maybe replacing the dual mass flywheel depending on the condition, input shaft seal and rear main seal.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
So the only noticeable signs before the clutch pedal sank was some slipping? When the clutch disc wears and becomes thinner, the point of clutch engagement moves up (toward the driver) in the range of clutch pedal movement. Eventually, the clutch disc becomes so thin as to no longer contact the pressure plate, there is no engagement and the clutch slips completely. It does sound like there could be a possible clutch issue and something else, possibly the clutch fork as mentioned.

We have lots of great info about the clutch here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Replacing.htm

Once you figure out the issue and if you decide to replace the clutch we have some kits and other components here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0. If you want, I can throw together and quote so you can see what all you should replace while in there for the job. Just let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST