Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbosmart kompact dual port

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:37 AM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbosmart kompact dual port

Very excited to say I finally have my hands on the turbosmart kompact bov. I'll be making a more in depth look and review of it coming up soon. I'll do a comparison between it and the Forge atmospheric BOV. Stay tuned!

Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Try to get good sound clips
I failed miserably on that part lol

Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Nice, looking forward to it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM
WTMF
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
turbosmart vs forge

Hatch,
Do you have results of the turbosmart vs forge?
Thanks

Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Jubatusjames
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeBURRITO
Very excited to say I finally have my hands on the turbosmart kompact bov. I'll be making a more in depth look and review of it coming up soon. I'll do a comparison between it and the Forge atmospheric BOV. Stay tuned!
Yea, any news on this? I'm planning on getting and installing one in the next couple weeks and would love to hear what you think about this particular mod

Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
As far as performance goes there's absolutely no benefit to them! I ended up getting the forged upgraded diverter valve just cause I got sick of hearing the blow off all the time ! They both blow off all he time. even under 1500rpm's !! Once in a while' forge valve actually would get stock open ! Seemed to only do it' if in low rpms! All you would have to do is tap the throttle an it would unstick its self' I tryed upgrade 30 psi Springs ! An still had the same problem !

Upside to the upgrade diverter valve ! You can actually hear it go off !! In higher rpm's an it sounds good !

Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Jubatusjames
Yea, any news on this? I'm planning on getting and installing one in the next couple weeks and would love to hear what you think about this particular mod
Did a review of the 50/50 Turbosmart here. NAM link As BigBoost mentioned no real performance improvement compared to factory recirc vavle till your hitting higher boost levels. Currently running 1.7 bar and the Turbosmart has been flawless in operation. A little further down the thread theres a short video with audio.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 PM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize about kind of falling off the wagon a bit, lol. But the video is done! here it is!

Also. The audio of myself talking is very quiet, sorry!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Jubatusjames
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Did a review of the 50/50 Turbosmart here. NAM link As BigBoost mentioned no real performance improvement compared to factory recirc vavle till your hitting higher boost levels. Currently running 1.7 bar and the Turbosmart has been flawless in operation. A little further down the thread theres a short video with audio.
Cool, thanks. Yea I'm not expecting any performance gains, but I will be going Manic stage 2 soon so I'm going to upgrade the valve. One specific question I have is can the turbosmart dual port be converted to a full recirc valve if one so chooses? As in, does it come with a way to block off the atmospheric blow off? They're website kind of makes it seem so, but it's not specific.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Jubatusjames
One specific question I have is can the turbosmart dual port be converted to a full recirc valve if one so chooses?
They make two different models. Dual port and plumb back. My MINI specific dual port came with no provisions to convert to full recirc. The EFR dual port I installed for a customer had no option for it either. You could perhaps use a hose clamp and a piece of rubber but I wouldn't recommend it. If you look at the gas ports on the underside of the two valves you will note they are very dissimilar. Blocking off the atmospheric port would probably lead to compressor stalling.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Take a look at the dual port's shown here --- http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...-Kompact-BOVs/ I've installed the TS-0203-1022 model and used it as both DV and BOV (not at the same time). All hardware was there, including a blanking plate for an unused port, just had to furnish my own hoses. However, I'm not using an OEM turbo, my Garrett uses an external version, so I have no place to mount the MINI specific version. If you're connecting something like this to a MINI-type turbo, use caution as Tigger suggests. If the ECU detects no BOV / DV functioning, it will throw a CEL.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:09 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Just installed and reinstalled my new turbosmart BOV which I bought from ECS as an r60 part. Everywhere I look I see it listed as an r56 part which I don't see why that would be a problem. My problem with it is that no matter what spring tension I have it set at all it does is flutter. I can hear what I think sounds like a vacuum or some sort of air leak when I am building boost which wasn't there before so I swapped the boost tap that came with it for an alta boost tap because thats what I thought it was and I wasn't too keen on it to begin with. This didn't solve anything so I thought maybe the O-rings on the valve were not seated correctly so I took it back apart and removed it off of the turbo to find everything looking ok so I re installed it and it does the same thing, just flutters no matter how much boost im on. Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Little turbo problem's
Next time you
Hesr it
Try tapping the gas paddle
Had the same problem
With the fogre vavle
I ended up ordering the forge upgrade valve
When I want with a 47mm turbo!
Cuz I got sick of it blowing off all the time
Ended up having to go back with the forge blow off vavle
It was starting to back spool the turbo in higher boost
Sound like a kick *** rally car haha
Not so healthy for the turbo tho
Mini problem

Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by countrymanwot
Any ideas?
Loosen the top until you can see the o-ring. Tighten it back down until you can't see it anymore. Once the o-ring is no longer visible tighten 1 1/2 to 2 turns tighter. If the valve is off put your finger inside and try to push it open. You should be able to but it should not be easy, and there should be no play in the valve at all. Use that as your starting point. A fully pneumatic BOV will always exhibit a small amount of flutter right at its cracking pressure. However this should only occur when snapping the throttle shut at very low boost where there is little pressure differential (~3 psi or less).

Old 02-28-2018, 07:28 AM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm gonna be putting the Plumb Back version on my car next week. just in case the 42mm doesn't play well with the OEM.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Yeh the plumb black
Is just turbo smart version
Of the upgrade diverter valve ?

You could try to put some lithium grease inside
The vavle so it opens & close easier
It help my problem but when it does do it try tapping the fuel paddle:
But I don't think there's really anything you can do
I know Audi guys that are having the same problem
With the bov/dv on the turbo like that !

Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 PM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Installed the TS Plumb Back and it seems to work good. at part throttle with low boost pressure it makes a flutter sound. If I go WOT though and get up above 15-22psi it goes off like a normal DV woosh followed by a small amount of flutter on the end.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:10 PM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but I need some tips with fine tuning this Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port.

Got it installed nice and easy. Took Tigger2011's advise and started by threading in the cap until I couldn't see the o-ring, and then turned an additional 1.5 turns. Took it out for a shakedown run. Everything is working nicely, but I'm definitely not building boost as quickly or all the way up to 22psi as I was before with the crummy OEM DV (I'm running a 47mm K04 with a Stage 3 RPM Tune and all the other bells and whistles on a fJCW N14). Topping out at 15psi where I would normally hit 18-22psi.

So, can I just keep tightening the adjuster cap a turn at a time until I regain my boost performance?

Thanks

Last edited by scottyb043; 10-01-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Absolutely. That's the great thing about an adjustable BOV. Fell free to tighten it and see what it takes to make it happy with your setup. What I posted above is a good starting point. Since the valve works on the pressure differential between manifold pressure and pre-IC boost pressure I'd check to make sure there are no leaks where the boost adapter is installed. I'd probably also use a small inspection mirror and flashlight to make sure the bottom most o-ring is fully seated inside the turbo. If I got to five or six turns with no change I'd probably disassemble, inspect the valve and also make sure there was nothing blocking the vacuum line from the manifold. If there is a lack of boost pressure coming through that line, then the only thing holding the valve closed is the spring pressure.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:48 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Yeah, I think something is amiss.

I've got it fully cranked down now and I'm still not building full boost. I checked it to make sure everything was clean and functioning well. Do you think I can connect the return hose from the DV to a different location than boost tap provided in the kit that mounts on the intake manifold? I've got an AEM intake kit and I noticed that there was some interference between the air filter box and the MAP sensor now that it has been raised by the provided sensor spacer. The filter box isn't sitting flush on all four feet anymore, and with the hood closed, additional pressure is being put on the boost tap. I'm thinking my issue might be related to my boost problem somehow. Was thinking I could probably make a tap at the PCV hose where it comes off of the throttle body and put the DV hose in that location instead. I'm doing this for the internal MAP sensor from my WMI kit (I put a tap on my PCV hose connected to the back of the valve cover), and it has worked flawlessly.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
With the engine running disconnect the vacuum line running to the BOV. You should be able to hear it sucking and feel the vacuum when you place your finger over the hole. The engine should also idle rougher when it's sucking in air. Also check the physical measurements between the face of the BOV mount flange on the turbo and the machined face inside. BW specs on the K03 is 17mm. As noted you can also look at the interface gap between BOV o-ring and face inside the turbo's throat with a flashlight and small inspection mirror or one of those cheap bluetooth video inspection cameras that connect to your phone. There should be no gap if the turbo and BOV have been machined to specs. If there is a gap there it won't matter what vacuum source you use or how tight the spring is.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:20 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
With the engine running disconnect the vacuum line running to the BOV. You should be able to hear it sucking and feel the vacuum when you place your finger over the hole. The engine should also idle rougher when it's sucking in air. Also check the physical measurements between the face of the BOV mount flange on the turbo and the machined face inside. BW specs on the K03 is 17mm. As noted you can also look at the interface gap between BOV o-ring and face inside the turbo's throat with a flashlight and small inspection mirror or one of those cheap bluetooth video inspection cameras that connect to your phone. There should be no gap if the turbo and BOV have been machined to specs. If there is a gap there it won't matter what vacuum source you use or how tight the spring is.
Ah, now this makes sense regarding the fit at the turbo. I'll double check.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:03 PM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Damn...

Well that explains my issue. Looking at the new BOV, it’s evident that the inner O-Ring isn’t completely sealing against the throat of the turbo. Once I start to build boost it is slipping past the O-ring out to atmosphere. I’ve got a K04, which might explain why this happened. Given the design of the OEM DV, which automatically adjusts to the dimensions, looking at this BOV, it either fits or it doesn’t. Looks like I’ll probably just go with the latest OEM DV with the ALTA spring in it.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a very lightly used Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port?

Old 10-03-2020, 03:47 PM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Took it out for a quick spin with the OEM DV back in and she's back to normal again. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Had a feeling the compressor housing hadn't been machined to BW specs. Awesome to hear you got her boosting and burning rubber again!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Turbosmart kompact dual port