Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

What's the fuction of this hose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the fuction of this hose?

After repairing the leaky oil filter housing gaskets and VC gaskets I noticed this hose isn't connected to the back of the engine due to broken clips.

Can someone explain the function of this hose?

Name:  20170225_194358_zpsojtchnfd.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  3.07 MB

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Okay, I did some more research and see that it's a sound generator. Does it matter that the end away from the engine doesn't seal? Also, I blew in both ends and the sound generator isn't allowing air to pass either way. Is that normal?

Old 02-25-2017, 06:31 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
It's my understanding that there is a diaphragm inside to allow sound through but not allow air through.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
The broken connectors is solid, so that makes sense. I'll have to keep looking for the vacuum leak I suppose. Thanks

Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Search this forum there is a replacement from later N18 engines that replaces that part. Better flow.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
yeh it's just a sound generator! does nothing at all. just get the delete pipe from way motor works ! or get the forge pipe from ecs tuning or what not.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
That is the noise maker with the hose. It is designed to pump noise into the cabin so you can hear the engine. But really doesn't do anything that helps you as it disturbs the airflow and bleeds off a slight amount of boost. That is why we always take them off and replace the plastic pipe it connects to with our noise maker delete pipe
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-no...5-r56-r57.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-02-2017, 03:41 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deleted mine...Forge makes an Intake hose thats fits directly to your throttle body to replace that...

Old 03-02-2017, 06:46 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW! I had no idea this thing would ever even be conceived of let alone put into a production car! My Clubman has one of these and I'd welcome less stuff under my hood using up space and making my engine appear to be MORE noisy than it is! WACKY!

I have an intermittent pressure loss issue that doesn't SEEM to be from either the turbo or the HPFP so far as my mechanic can tell. Does anyone know if the parasitic loss of intake pressure from this noise device might be a source of a leak in pressure?

Also, if I remove this, does anyone know if there's a part to close up the hole this will probably leave in the firewall?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dkdzyn
WOW! I had no idea this thing would ever even be conceived of let alone put into a production car! My Clubman has one of these and I'd welcome less stuff under my hood using up space and making my engine appear to be MORE noisy than it is! WACKY!

I have an intermittent pressure loss issue that doesn't SEEM to be from either the turbo or the HPFP so far as my mechanic can tell. Does anyone know if the parasitic loss of intake pressure from this noise device might be a source of a leak in pressure?

Also, if I remove this, does anyone know if there's a part to close up the hole this will probably leave in the firewall?
wait tell he finds
the
turbo muffler

Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by dkdzyn

Never seen one cause any check engine light or issue, we just remove it for the performance aspect. So your issue is likely something else.

Most people that remove it don't do anything with the hole, but some have just put tape over it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I think on the F56 G3 cars it plays "fake news" engine noise through the speakers. And you can't turn it off!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Never seen one cause any check engine light or issue, we just remove it for the performance aspect. So your issue is likely something else.

Most people that remove it don't do anything with the hole, but some have just put tape over it.
Thanks. I'll keep chasing the issue.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BigBoost
wait tell he finds
the
turbo muffler
Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh.... I figured THAT one out once I began looking at the various bypass pipes offered by Forge.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:49 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Like others have said it's just a sound generator to pump some noise into the cabin. They only did this with the N14 engine, the N18 on the LCI cars don't use it. You can replace it with the N18 hose from the dealer or go with a hose from NM Engineering or others. Make sure to put a little insulation in the opening in the firewall and tape over it to prevent water and pest from getting inside.