R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Rear break stock or performance kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by renchjeep
Way definitely knows WAAAY more about MINI's than I ever will. I will not dispute his advice. I was simply relating my experiences with drilled/slotted rotors. I did also install all 4 corners Powerstop drilled/slotted with their ceramic pads on a neighbor lady's 2005 Tahoe. She was very pleased, and if she were displeased, I would hear about it, trust me. One correction to make.....I used drilled/slotted and ceramic pads in 4-wheel kit form from a company called Harts Brakes on my MINI. As I stated, no issues, and I have approx 20k miles on them now. I was simply trying to provide the OP with another option. I am not an engineer, nor did I intend to step on any toes. And, I will certainly let you all know if any cracking issues occur.

As an aside, I work on Police vehicles for a living. I have been seeing factory solid rear/non vented rotors cracking at an alarming rate on our Ford Police Interceptor AWD twin-turbo sedans. One of our Ford Interceptor AWD twin-turbo SUV K9 units was chewing up brakes quickly, along with glazing, squealing, and warping rotors on all 4 corners. I installed all 4 drilled/slotted and pads (I don't remember the brand), and no issues since then. I am using this unit as a test for future brake solutions on the rest of our PD fleet.

Once again, all personal experience, and your mileage may vary. Rant mode off. Motor On!
WAY stated there will be no difference in braking with the slotted/drilled rotors, said nothing about them being less safe or cracking...

Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
You think the brakes on a street car aren't going through significant heat cycles like on a race car? Maybe a street car is not going to be as extreme, but the heat cycle fatigue can crack drilled rotors even on a street car, and if that happens when you need to brake in an emergency situation it does make your car less safe. And I'm not saying solid rotors can't crack, but drilled rotors are simply more prone to it.

Companies put them on their cars for the same reason you put them on yours, they look nice. The average consumer doesn't know they actually decrease brake performance and are prone to cracking moreso than solid rotors.
These companies would be under a constant barrage of lawsuits if your statement were true. Sure, a drilled rotor has less tinsel strength than one that has not been drilled. High performance street cars use slotted/drilled rotors, look at any $100,000 - $2mil+ cars, they are slotted/drilled. If they posed a safety issue, I'm sure there would be tons of litigation....