R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The r56 Ownership Experience

Old 12-29-2015, 12:16 PM
tchain
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The r56 Ownership Experience

Fellow motoring enthusiasts... I've been lurking on the forums for years and have appreciated the invaluable assistance that many of you have offered to r56 owners, like me, as I've driven and put up with my 2009 r56 MINI Cooper S JCW. Today marks the day when my years of frustration with my MINI have finally caught up with me. Today is, perhaps, the final day of my MINI ownership experience and I thought I'd share some highlights of my r56 struggle. It's worth noting that my car is bone stock and has never been autocrossed or driven in an overly aggressive manner. So, in the interest of being as brief as possible, here are the finer points:

May, 2009 - Purchased my British Racing Green JCW.
May, 2009 - With only 900 miles on the odometer, I've just had my first warranty claim to replace my High Pressure Fuel Pump.
May, 2009 - 2 days after picking up my car for the HPFP, I'm back in service for a new steering angle sensor. Unfortunately, it takes 4 visits before this issue is properly diagnosed and repaired.
July 2009 - my first clutch is replaced. I am not a novice manual driver. This is not my first MINI - it's my 4th.
October 2009 - My second HPFP replacement takes place.
November 2009 - First Timing Chain replacement.
January 2010 - My windshield cracks directly down the center while the car is sitting still and hadn't been driven in 2 days. MINI refuses to cover under warranty. $250 insurance deductible paid by me.
March 2010 - Leather on Driver's seat begins to come apart near the seam by the head rest. Upholstery replaced under warranty and the seam splits again. this is subsequently re-addressed by the dealer an additional 3 times and is never repaired properly. This is apparently caused by the lumbar support, which pulls the seams and causes the split. Problem exists to this day.
May 2010 - Rain sensing windshield wipers fail. Dealer unable to fully correct problem. Issue persists to this day.
June 2010 - Second steering angle sensor failure.
August 2010 - plastic trim pieces start breaking on the car. Specifically those small plastic rings that surround the door lock buttons on the doors. Replaced by dealer.
October 2010 - Second clutch failure. Replaced by dealer. I now have 8000 miles on the car.
February 2011 - Third High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement.
March 2011 - Second Timing Chain replacement. Worth noting that I'm now having to check my oil every two days because the car is using so much oil.
May 2011 - Third Steering Angle Sensor replacement.
November 2011 - Entire transmission replaced due to faulty throw-out bearing.
March 2012 - Car is in for high pressure fuel pump issues as well as yet another steering angle sensor issue. During technician test drive, the tech misses a downshift and throws the car from 5th gear to 1st while traveling approximately 70 mph. Engine destroyed. Engine replaced by dealer at their expense. Car has 42k miles on it.
May 2012 - Valve cover now leaking - Gasket replaced.
July 2012 - Third Timing Chain replacement.
May 2013 - Clutch failure. Replaced at my expense with aftermarket single mass flywheel and clutch. Have not had any problems since.
July 2014 - Replaced leaking valve cover gasket at my expense
September 2014 - replaced rear crank seal at my expense.
March 2015 - Thermostat replaced at my expense.
June 2015 - Water pump replaced at my expense.
November 2015 - HPFP replaced again, under extended warranty.
December 2015 - Timing chain tensioner failure. Being told that I need to spend $2500+ to repair this issue - for the 4th time. Car has 81000 miles on it. Dealer is not confident MINI will help.

I completely left out the recurring issues with the Bluetooth phone connection, sunroof leaks, sunroof not seating properly, leaks happening in the passenger floorboard, hatch closing issues and exterior trim issues. Ugh!

So, that's it, in a nutshell. I'm thinking this is the end of the line for my r56. The car has been fun to drive, but it is easily the least reliable car I've ever owned, out of many. On top of that, I've been less than impressed with MINIs willingness to address issues that have plagued this car. Obviously, there have been a few recalls and its nice that the HPFP warranty has been extended, but the timing chain issue is literally costing consumers like us thousands of dollars when it really shouldn't be - especially considering that the part itself is advertised as a "lifetime" part. Just venting my frustrations here a bit. Its so frustrating to own a paid off vehicle that essentially is going to be prohibitively expensive (relative to its current value) to continue to drive. That's pretty sad considering my car is only 6 years old.

Anyway... that's the story...

Last edited by tchain; 12-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. For all these repairs at your own expense, you've been going to the dealer? Sometimes, if you don't feel like working on your own MINI, indy shops can help keep the costs down a great deal. If you had thoughts of sticking with a MINI at all you could also possibly look into a 2013+ JCW/2011+ MCS with the N18 engine as they have been known to be less of an issue from the N14 that you currently have. Anyways, good luck with everything.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-31-2015, 07:09 AM
tchain
1st Gear
I've actually been going to a local independent mechanic who specializes in MINI who has done excellent work on my car for a fraction of the cost of the dealership. He's been a lifesaver!

I did get a partial response from MINI on any kind of assistance they might offer. The initial response was that since I haven't serviced my car at the dealership since the warranty expired, they couldn't possibly offer any assistance... nevermind the fact that I have detailed service records.

Have any of you ever experienced a MINI with broken timing chain tensioners and guides that somehow doesn't make any unusual noise?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:09 PM
Toboyd
Neutral
You're not alone in the "divorced from a Mini" club. I'm also thankful for this forum, but also had a lot of problems with my 2011 Mini base. While far less than what you went through, I'd also agree that this is THE most unreliable car I've ever owned which includes Ford/Chev & Pontiac/Toyota/Honda/Hyundai - and I'm talking first-gen Hyundai from the 90's, not the Hyundai of today that's won many awards.

It's was a great daily driver for the first two years. I couldn't have been happier driving a car that handles great, is cheap on gas, and has BMW behind the Mini badge. THEN the problems started...

2013:
*Heater putting out lukewarm air unless driven on the freeway for 5 min @ high RPMs. The dealership is a 20 min drive on the freeway and I told them it needs to be cold started - they said there is no problem, so it's obvious they didn't put the time in to wait for it.
*Rear sway bar bushings and links replaced due to rattling noises over bumps.
*Front sway bar bushings and links replaced after due to rattling noise still present after rears replaced.
*Computer indicates brake pad replacement needed, but measured OK. Tech said ignore it for now.
*Rear hatch lock/latch replaced because rear hatch doesn't always open.
*Rear hatch gasket - they forgot to put in when they replace the lock/latch, so the door would rattle over bumps.

2014:
*Computer still indicates brake pad replacement needed, but still measured OK. They said a "firmware update" was needed to override and enter the proper values. Brakes were changed a few months later anyways - non-warranty of course.
*Timing chain replaced - non-warranty, was told this is normal wear(!)
*TPMS inactive error immediately after tire balance - they couldn't figure out why, so tires were rotated and a "firmware update required".
*Lightbulb error, dealership said it was a bad bulb and swapped it (non-warranty).
*Returned because bulb swap didn't work after a week and rear light housing was replaced due to corrosion.

2015 (out of warranty):
*TPMS inactive error because tires were rotated back to original position, making me think they simply made the computer ignore the sensor that was causing an error, possibly to avoid them paying for damage from shoddy tire balancing.
*Rear sway bar bushings replaced, but rattling still there after 15 min taking off the lot. Was told Mini's have smaller parts and cold/warm weather changes cause faster wear.
*Loud rattling noise when engine is cold. I even recorded this on my phone and played it back for the service adviser, but was later told there's no problem and it's normal.

Knowing that timing chain/tensioner issues has plagued this model for years and being told that's normal along with having a shoddy rear bushing replacement that's normal to do every two years was my breaking point.

Calling BMW HQ, I'm simply brushed off to the dealership. I've had all service and maintenance done at the dealership, but having that relationship doesn't change a thing. They're there to make money, not hand out goodwill.

To add insult to injury, my friend's 2009 Honda Fit which is close to the same size as the Mini and has more mileage and is two years OLDER - has only had regular maintenance done on it. So, to be told the size of car makes it more prone to wear is a plain lie.

I know most Mini owners are still in the "whipped" stage that I was in for years, but the timing chain issue is not a matter of IF, but WHEN for many. I'm upset my 2011 isn't included in the potential settlement for this issue, so if I'm facing a $2500-4500 to fix a "lifetime" component @ under 40k miles, I quit!

I only hope owners of the new gen have a better experience, as I will definitely miss the amazing handling and being able to find parking much easier than everyone else.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a 2008 with over 100,000 miles that has been a very good car. I also have a 2012 that's been perfect. I have had BMW do "goodwill repairs" on my cars also.There are always exceptions - in your case a bad car when I believe most to be average in reliability or above. I onced owned a reported "reputable and reliable" Volvo that was the worse and most unreliable car ever built. So...........thanks for sharing with us. That's what this forum is about. Take care.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:20 AM
tchain
1st Gear
You are absolutely correct - there are always cars that perform worse or better than the majority of the same model year. In the case of the 2009 R56, it currently has the lowest rating possible with JD Power regarding both quality as well as reliability. So, for whatever that's worth, it seems as though most owners of 2009 r56s haven't been particularly impressed with reliability or quality.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My wife drives a 2008 R55 Cooper. We bought it used in 2012 at 32,000 miles. Now at 70,000 miles I'd have to say it has been a pretty reliable car. We've replaced both vanos solenoids the HVAC fan motor & the thermostst housing. Other than that it has only been normal maintenance wear items. I do change the oil every 5,000 miles rather than MINIs recommended 10,000 miles. I do all routine maintenance myself & use an independent for the tougher jobs.

I owned a 2006 R53 MINI bought new until last Feb. It required more upkeep than appliance type cars, but oh man what fun it was. It was replaced due to health issues. The replacement is a VW GTI. I had planned to buy a new MINI, but the changes made ruined it for me so I moved on.

We enjoy our R55 MINI & while not as reliable as a Honda it is also fun to drive & not boring-dull like an appliance type of car.

Sorry you guys are having so many problems. tchain you owned that MINI longer than I would have. That is quite an amazing list you have there. Toboyd your dealer is well & truly full of horse *****. I find it amazing they told the things they did with a straight face.

Good luck with your future cars guys. Remember life is too short to drive a boring car.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:43 PM
JimmyChooToo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, just bought a 07 MCS manual with 90k last night knowing full well these can be very unreliable cars. Paid $6k. Hey somebody has to buy these cars used or the resale value would go to zero.

The lease on my '13 VW CC is up in 50 days and I need a beater car. I couldn't bring myself to lease another VW. It would have been the third in a row. The VW was extremely reliable but had crappy brakes. The smooth 2.0T revs silently to a high rpm but the car with the DSG doesn't seem to go anywhere. Doesn't snap your neck back.

So why did I buy the MCS? The handling is amazing. It's like an underpowered and much less refined Porsche 911. For $6k and it handles like a 911, I had to at least try. If the MCS lasts me 3 years I will be very happy.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:34 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JimmyChooToo,

You are absolutely correct. I have owned a 911 and the MINI handling is similar and with a tune and some mods, the power is acceptable. Biggest difference is I can park it anywhere and I don't care about scratches or dings. Plus the price difference is... significant. I never wanted to drive the Porsche anywhere because people just seem to go out of their way to "F" with you, both on the road and when parked. Nobody cares about me in my MINI.

Eric

Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
" I have owned a 911 and the MINI handling is similar " found this to be be true and in most cases the MINI handling is better. get allot of looks in my R58 JCW.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on the "Not reliable Mini club" and also the "Divorced Mini Club"
I have a list as well of parts that should not fail after only 13,000 miles.
I will not list. I to will relinquish this money pit to someone else. Yes plenty of things good about the Mini but many bad things out weigh the good by 5-1. IMO..

Last edited by coachvminis; 01-07-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:43 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Wow a fwd front engine MINI handles like a rwd rear engine 911. Who knew? I enjoy the MINI's handling, but it ain't no 911.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Gipper
2nd Gear
I never said the MINI handled the same or better than the 911, only that it was similar. Both handle well and have precise steering and I was able to carry similar speeds through similar corners with both cars, but power on through a corner or at corner exit the 911 is far superior. Just my opinion, your mileage (or experience) may vary.

Eric

Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 AM
JimmyChooToo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Wow a fwd front engine MINI handles like a rwd rear engine 911. Who knew? I enjoy the MINI's handling, but it ain't no 911.
I have a Base 911 (Carrera 2) and the modern ones (water cooled) are basically grand tourers unless you buy the extreme versions like the Turbo or GT3. So yeah, seat of the pants feel, they seem pretty similar to me. I just drove them back to back yesterday. The 911 has way more power, you sit way lower and the engine makes sweet music at 5000 rpm, but that's about it. And remember, I'm not a pro-driver. I'm not even exploiting 90% of what either the Mini or the 911 can do. I'm just going to work, picking up groceries and going for joy rides.

Steering, character, being good looking, cult following, history, interior packaging, ultra short wheelbase (97 inches - coincidence??), visibility and ride all seem about the same between the Mini and the 911 (granted I've only had my Mini for 2 days). And both make me smile when I drive it and very few cars do that.

And Eric is absolutely right, in the Mini you don't worry like crazy about scratches and being F'd with. There are plenty of brand new 6-figure 911 being keyed stories on the Porsche forums. Are there any of those stories here? I doubt it. You would need to be a psychopath to key a cute BMW Mini. That's like wanting to hurt small furry animals.

Last edited by JimmyChooToo; 01-07-2016 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:35 AM
Toboyd
Neutral
Jimmy, I think everyone should experience a Mini, but I would do it either as a lease or what you did - on the cheap. Even though the dealer treated me like a dog, I still considered a trade-in towards the 2-series because the Mini is a memorable driving experience. And payments I can handle, but not a giant lump-sum repair bill. But the more I researched BMW's reliability, the more disappointed I felt (ie: 5-series radiator is basically the Mini's timing chain all over again). So, I concede and am now looking at an 'appliance' car because I need reliable daily transportation that I have to share with the wife.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:25 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Jimmy I have a fair amount of wheel time in a 996 Carrera. While the MINI is a very fun car the Carrera 2 is on another level. Maybe the Carrera 2 needs to be driven faster for folks to see the difference.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 PM
tchain
1st Gear
Found my new r56 replacement. This one actually is British and is properly beautiful...

Old 01-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
That is a gorgeous car...

...that I would be afraid to drive, park or leave anywhere besides in my garage.

Eric

Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tchain
British and is properly beautiful...

That car is drool worthy.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by tchain
Found my new r56 replacement. This one actually is British and is properly beautiful...
The Jaguar F-TYPE is a beautiful animal. If you haven't already, you should watch the Top Gear episode where they review this beauty.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM
tchain
1st Gear
As beautiful as it is, it's still just a car - it lives to be driven, so to speak...

That's a great Top Gear - man, I really miss that show. Really looking forward to the new Amazon show...

Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Heck yes drive them!

Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Toboyd
Neutral
Wow, that is quite a jump in budget. I suppose the Mini was cheap at the pump...

Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 AM
JimmyChooToo
1st Gear
Quick update. Took it to the dealer for a $69 oil change, for any recalls and to reset the airbag light (they couldn't find anything wrong and just reset it). They charged me 0.5 hour for the airbag (not bad, nice of them) and out the door for $159 total including tax and environmental fees. They also came up with a $8,000 recommended list of things to do on a $6,000 car with 90,000 mile and 9 years old car. HAhahahah. Hahahaha. Too Funny. I think the tire rotation and balance is the only thing I will do and it will be cheaper than the dealer's $62 at an independent tire store.

Next I took it to a auto glass replacement store and had the windshield replaced. Perfect glass is a pet peave of mine. Out the door with a perfect windshield for $259. Ordered Opt7 H13 LED headlight bulbs off eBay (I had an eBay bucks coupon so it was $62 total) and a $16 3M headlight refinishing kit off Amazon. So far I'm in at $496 in mods and repairs. I think I'll stop now.

My goal is to make it to 120,000 miles and 3 years. Maybe it will have a $2,000 junk value by then. So far so good. Car drives great. Discovered the sport button. Love the steering feel even more now. The torque steer is Way more than a VW CC, but that means the engine is working & pulling correctly, right ??? Love this car and the Getrag 6 speed. Shifts great.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:34 AM
JimmyChooToo
1st Gear
Forgot, I think I will also buy a fire extinguisher for $20 as the last mod. I've been reading that my car and year can spontaneously combust just like a Ferrari. Hahahaha.

Search this Thread