North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Consequences of a DP CEL? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/293834-consequences-of-a-dp-cel.html)

potterstein 09-29-2015 09:27 PM

Consequences of a DP CEL?

I have to change my oil filter housing gaskets, so i figured now is a good time to upgrade the DP as long as i'm in there.

Thinking I'll be going with this DP, as Way has quite a following here on NAM, and the price seems right.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-cat...8-r59-r60.html

I plan on getting a Manic tune somewhere down the road when the funds present themselves, but until then...is it just an annoying yellow CEL, or is it an annoying limp mode CEL?

Thanks!

GEMSTER 09-30-2015 12:21 AM

Its just a light on the dash. No limp mode.

GAT 09-30-2015 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by potterstein (Post 4129139)
I have to change my oil filter housing gaskets, so i figured now is a good time to upgrade the DP as long as i'm in there.

Thinking I'll be going with this DP, as Way has quite a following here on NAM, and the price seems right.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-cat...8-r59-r60.html

I plan on getting a Manic tune somewhere down the road when the funds present themselves, but until then...is it just an annoying yellow CEL, or is it an annoying limp mode CEL?

Thanks!

Don't quote me on this but if I recall correctly, WMW offers some sort of plug-n-play component specifically made to eliminate the DP CEL. I think it was in the $100-$200 range. Always an option if you can't wait until your Manic tune.

JohnDoe11 09-30-2015 06:16 AM

I recently installed a DP and the CEL came on after 200 miles.
Other than the code and another 100 miles the cars running great and sounds great.

To get ride of the CEL I just use my obd2 and clear the codes and I'll wait out to see when I'd have to do it again.

Rick.Astley 09-30-2015 08:27 AM

Just a CEL - depending on where you are, it may just be an inconvenience during smog. Plenty of Mini folks run them.

potterstein 09-30-2015 10:59 AM

Well this is all very good news :) Looks like this plan is a green light.

Systemlord 09-30-2015 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by GAT (Post 4129198)
Don't quote me on this but if I recall correctly, WMW offers some sort of plug-n-play component specifically made to eliminate the DP CEL. I think it was in the $100-$200 range. Always an option if you can't wait until your Manic tune.

A tune is the only way to eliminate a CEL, the plug-in-play device you're referring to doesn't prevent the ECU from registering the CEL, you just won't get the yellow light on your speedometer.

squawSkiBum 09-30-2015 10:50 PM

Consequences of a catless DP?
1) even if you turn off the CEL with a tune, you'll NEVER pass an emissions test. Looks like AZ requires testing every 2 years. Good luck with that.

2) More smog for everyone to breathe.

OK I'll go back under my bridge now.

potterstein 10-01-2015 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by squawSkiBum (Post 4129541)
Consequences of a catless DP?
1) even if you turn off the CEL with a tune, you'll NEVER pass an emissions test. Looks like AZ requires testing every 2 years. Good luck with that.

2) More smog for everyone to breathe.

I suppose having to swap the stock DP back on every 2 years may be a bit of a hassle...but when you think about how AWESOME A CATLESS DP AND TUNE IS...not that big a deal.

As far as smog is concerned...lol. Drive an electric car you dirty hippy!

Systemlord 10-01-2015 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by potterstein (Post 4129866)
I suppose having to swap the stock DP back on every 2 years may be a bit of a hassle...but when you think about how AWESOME A CATLESS DP AND TUNE IS...not that big a deal.

Name calling like that won't get you very far on NAM, but you did ask about the consequences of running a DP.

potterstein 10-01-2015 07:03 PM

He literally implied he was a troll. I can't poke a little?:roll:

squawSkiBum 10-01-2015 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by potterstein (Post 4129866)

Ever driven a Tesla Model S dual motor set to Insane mode? I have. Now THAT is awesome, not a little 4 banger spewing hydrocarbons and NOx because the cat was removed to gain a few HP. And wouldn't that be clean hippy?

You did ask about the consequences. I have another thread somewhere about the legal, environmental, and ethical issues of deleting your catalytic converter. Look it up if you're interested.

potterstein 10-01-2015 07:49 PM

I have been on a ride along, and yes, they are quite thrilling.

I apologize for responding to your snide comment (see: "good luck with that") with sarcasm.

If a mod would like to delete this thread, I wouldnt mind. Seems a bit off topic now anyway.

squawSkiBum 10-01-2015 09:05 PM

No worries. We all need to keep a sense of humor, and I have been called far worse things.

wzabrouski 10-01-2015 09:07 PM

The akrapovic delete r also block every CEL code.

Joeygonz 10-02-2015 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by wzabrouski (Post 4129906)
The akrapovic delete r also block every CEL code.

Akra delete r is good but a little pricey for its purpose.

How about BMWhat App? For $40, it can suppress codes until a tune is installed and later on can also be used for some diagnostics and some coding?

Tigger2011 10-02-2015 09:30 AM

BMWhat or Carly as its called now doesn't suppress the CEL but it will clear the code and extinguishes the light. At least until the ECU runs the cat test twice and fails. Then the light will be back. Lather, Rinse, Repeat...