R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front Passenger Airbag Status Light: How is Supposed to Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Passenger Airbag Status Light: How is Supposed to Work?

So, the R53s (and some R56s, apparently) are getting a recall to fix the sensor for the Front Passenger Airbag sensor and status light. But, how is the front passenger airbag status light supposed to work in the R56s outside of the recall?

I was at my dealer for a service this morning, so I asked to make sure my understanding was correct. As I understand it, the default is that the passenger airbag is always on. When there is a child in a specially designed child seat, the light comes on and the airbag goes off.

My service advisor said that my understanding was not correct. According to my SA, the light is on when the airbag is off. So, the light is on and the airbag is off when the seat is empty. Additionally, the light is on and the airbag is off when there is a child in a specially designed child seat. The light is off, however, and the airbag is on when there is an adult-sized person sitting in the passenger seat.

After reviewing the owner's manual, I find we were both wrong. Confusingly, the light is off and the airbag is off when the passenger seat is empty. When there is a child in a specially designed child's seat, the light is on and the airbag is off. Finally, when there is an adult-sized person sitting in the passenger seat, the light is off and the airbag is on.

Is my reading of the owner's manual correct? If so, WTF?

Here is a table reflecting my reading of the owner's manual:
Front Passenger Airbag Status Light: How is Supposed to Work?-ma4plot.png

If my reading is correct, how did the engineers agree to this? Wouldn't you think that someone should have been, like, "the light says the airbag is off, so it should always be on when the airbag is off, right?" Maybe (hopefully?) my SA was correct and my passenger airbag sensor is broken . . . .