R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Alta/Cobb Accessport

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta/Cobb Accessport

My MINI is my daily driver. I really want to grab an Accessport, but I'm unsure if it's really practical for an every day car. Also, are the gains worth it? I see and hear stories but, anything can be pretty much hearsay.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, it will give you some extra kick for sure. And it is practical because it can read/clear engine light codes.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 67morris
Yeah, it will give you some extra kick for sure. And it is practical because it can read/clear engine light codes.
Is it practical for a daily driver, though?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, I like it! Why wouldn't it be practical? You can also select a linear map and it will give you a smoother throttle response. Your car may run a little hotter if you have a stock intercooler, but as long as you stay with stage 1, you should be fine.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Cool! Thanks for the info. I'm running pretty much all stock on a 2008 MCS. I'm going to try and pick one up soon. I'm really wanting a little more out of my car since I bought it.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Zimbob
Neutral
Cobb makes high quality products. I have their Access port on a 335I. It is easy to operate has several tunes on it right out of the box. I can do a sport tune with modest gains or an aggressive tune with a lot of power. It also can read and clear codes from the ecu.I can also read engine functions ,and even do performance testing like 0 to 60 times all the way up to 1/4 mile timing. Its easy to go back to stock as well.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 67morris
Yeah, I like it! Why wouldn't it be practical? You can also select a linear map and it will give you a smoother throttle response. Your car may run a little hotter if you have a stock intercooler, but as long as you stay with stage 1, you should be fine.
exactly! i waited to get a cai, intercooler and an exhaust before installing the AP. i was ear-to-ear smiles right away when i got on the road. i leveled at 35 mpg's which isn't bad at all as a daily driver. and when you have the sport button on… it is really, really nice… enjoy!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up a used AP and I'm not impressed at all with it. The car runs worse than it did before the AP, but I've only tried the Stage 1 92oct TPS tune.

I'm also 100% stock right now but I've got an AEM CAI on the way with plans for exhaust, DP and front mount. And probably some turbo piping.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hidperf
I just picked up a used AP and I'm not impressed at all with it. The car runs worse than it did before the AP, but I've only tried the Stage 1 92oct TPS tune.

I'm also 100% stock right now but I've got an AEM CAI on the way with plans for exhaust, DP and front mount. And probably some turbo piping.
I think these are prerequisites?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:00 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
I think these are prerequisites?
Not according to everything I've read about the AP. But we'll see how it goes as the upgrades go.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:22 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Not according to everything I've read about the AP. But we'll see how it goes as the upgrades go.
Don't forget the intercooler to the list of must haves...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Should pull like mad.

By worse, do you mean you have trouble keeping from spinning in 2nd and into 3rd? Cause that is my experience with stage 1 92 tps running 93 octane bp fuel.

What do your boost, Afr, timing, and front o2 temps show?

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring

Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
Don't forget the intercooler to the list of must haves...
I haven't forgotten.

Originally Posted by nine5raptor
Should pull like mad.

By worse, do you mean you have trouble keeping from spinning in 2nd and into 3rd? Cause that is my experience with stage 1 92 tps running 93 octane bp fuel.

What do your boost, Afr, timing, and front o2 temps show?
Worse as in when I put my foot in it, it feels like the turbo was taken off the car. It used to have that "turbo rush" feeling and now it doesn't have that. It's like it won't get out of it's own way now. No power at all.

I haven't datalogged anything yet. I just got it and threw it in and I've been busy since then. Plan on doing some of that today if I have time.

I'm running 93 octane as well.

I've also been reading the giant thread on the AP, but I haven't found the answer to several questions I have. But it's a HUGE thread and I haven't read all of it.

Does the AP maps use TPS as a reference on when/how the custom map takes over? Example, I'm cruising around 20% throttle and the tune is just stock, no extra boost, timing or fuel. When I get past the 20% mark, then it starts pouring on the extra fun?

What's the difference in the TPS and non TPS maps? I know linear throttle and "super" linear. How can you get more linear?

Does the sport button change from stock map (sport off) to Alta map (sport on) or is the Alta map always on and the throttle response is the only change, similar to the stock MINI maps?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Tps vs non tps is throttle mapping. Tps is what I use. Purely a mapping difference between actual pedal position and what the throttle does (remember we are throttle by wire so they can be remapped).

As far as the map, the map is always on. Sport button just changes the steering weight and throttle mapping further, just the same as stock.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Grab a log if you can. I'd be happy to look it over as well and can send you a log of mine. Just let me know. Sounds like you may be boost cutting or maybe blew a hose off.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:14 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Grab a log if you can. I'd be happy to look it over as well and can send you a log of mine. Just let me know. Sounds like you may be boost cutting or maybe blew a hose off.

I just loaded the non-tps 92 octane map and it runs WAY better. Like I expected it should.
Is it possible that it just didn't load right?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:56 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Could have. You have a chance for error on any given flash.

Are you by chance running a sprint booster or any other tps modifying device?

Did you try the 91 octane maps as well?

Have you taken logs? The 'no turbo' feeling sounds like boost cut. Generally seen over 21 psi. What are you hitting when you feel this?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Could have. You have a chance for error on any given flash.

Are you by chance running a sprint booster or any other tps modifying device?

Did you try the 91 octane maps as well?

Have you taken logs? The 'no turbo' feeling sounds like boost cut. Generally seen over 21 psi. What are you hitting when you feel this?

Nope. First mod for the car.

I might try it again, although I'm not unhappy with what I'm running now.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running ALTA Cobb Stage 1 FMIC for awhile, it's been 3 years so far so good. At first there was lots of error code like P2885 (boost leak) but after I replace the valve cover and DV, it never came back.

I have catless DP, second Cat removed, Helix FMIC and GFB DV+.

The only downside for ALTA Cobb AP is ALTA completely gave up on it. Good luck getting any support from them.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
I'm running ALTA Cobb Stage 1 FMIC for awhile, it's been 3 years so far so good. At first there was lots of error code like P2885 (boost leak) but after I replace the valve cover and DV, it never came back.

I have catless DP, second Cat removed, Helix FMIC and GFB DV+.

The only downside for ALTA Cobb AP is ALTA completely gave up on it. Good luck getting any support from them.
So far they've been pretty quick about answering questions in the "way to large and out of control" official Alta Access Port thread.

What's the purpose of the GFB DV+? does it just hold boost longer before blowing off?
I had read that the stock valves are prone to leaking and cracking and that the GFB is made of metal instead of plastic to eliminate that problem, but what other purpose does it serve and did you notice any improvements over stock?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:39 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@hidperf

I did a short review here.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...55-post40.html

In short, GFB DV+ holds boost a lot better