North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Cold Engine Sound Lasting Into Warm-Engine Driving (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/268303-cold-engine-sound-lasting-into-warm-engine-driving.html)

Engender 04-04-2014 03:06 PM

Cold Engine Sound Lasting Into Warm-Engine Driving

Hello all,

You guys know that kind of extra rattle you have when you first start your R56S on a morning with temperatures below zero? It kind of sounds like something is sort of loose . . . and then after the engine warms up it goes away?

It seems like this sound is lasting into my drive, even during this warmer weather. Strangely, this sound seems to appear when I turn my wheels about 45 degrees to the left.

What could this be? I'm paranoid that it's a timing belt/chain failing. But, I don't think I hear the sound so loudly at idle as I hear in those videos on youtube.

I guess my question is, primarily, should I take it into the dealer ASAP? Thanks for any help!

AZdsrt 04-04-2014 06:10 PM

Sounds like timing chain. I'd get it looked at, if it is the timing chain only bad things will happen..

Engender 04-05-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AZdsrt (Post 3908237)
Sounds like timing chain. I'd get it looked at, if it is the timing chain only bad things will happen..

I made an appointment for Monday. There's no way the timing chain is going to snap within 48 hours, right? Right?

blakeslee_a 04-06-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Engender (Post 3908758)
I made an appointment for Monday. There's no way the timing chain is going to snap within 48 hours, right? Right?

I thought the same thing next thing I knew I was calling a tow truck.. If possible I wouldn't drive it

ZIPPY "S" 04-06-2014 01:29 PM

If the place you are bringing it to isn't far you should be fine.. But towing it is your best option. If its the timing chain issue that is something you want fixed right away. Good luck!

zrickety 04-06-2014 06:58 PM

Your car should be covered by the 'campaign.' I was paranoid mine would blow up too, but I made it to the dealer for the fix.

Engender 04-07-2014 07:56 PM

Turns out it was just that my oil was 3/4 of a quart low. Additionally, my service advisor told me that I already had the updated timing chain tensioner covered by the campaign.

Another service advisor advised me to check my oil every 1,000 to 2,000 miles. Further, this other service advisor (who is not my normal SA but was standing there when I asked my SA about the updated timing chain tensioner) said that many of the problems that are attributed to the timing chain failures are in fact consequences of being low on oil.

From my reading of posts related to the timing chain, there does seem to be some sort of relationship between oil and the timing chain, although I don't fully understand what that relationship is.

I'm relieved that I only had to pay for an oil change! Check your oil!!

zrickety 04-08-2014 05:56 AM

The tensioner is oil fed, so when pressure drops the chain is not as tight. I wonder if you were more than a quart low. Just be aware that the plastic guides can also break, so the rattle may come back even with full oil. I found out the updated timing set is only $100, but special tools required.

Engender 04-08-2014 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by zrickety (Post 3910201)
The tensioner is oil fed, so when pressure drops the chain is not as tight.

Good to know. Would slackness in the tensioner have anything to do with the fact that I appear to be loosing oil? Every time my service light comes on, I take it in within three weeks . . . so I think I've been pretty rigorous when it comes to maintenance. When I first got the car, I paid for additional oil changes in between the factory recommend ones for the first 10,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted by zrickety (Post 3910201)
I wonder if you were more than a quart low.

How many quarts does the MINI hold? Also, this is probably a question I should have asked my service advisor, but do you know what kind of oil I should use to top off if necessary? That is, I know there are different "weights," but is there a recommended brand? I hesitated to ask my service advisor to avoid getting sold a bottle of MINI oil.

Slave to Felines 04-09-2014 10:20 AM

Check the owner's manual. There are specific oils that meet the specs that MINI has for motor oil. There's a Mobil-1 that meets them, and evidently you can often find it at Wally World. There are others as well--the owner's manual has a list for you.

solskjaer1999 04-09-2014 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Engender (Post 3910438)
How many quarts does the MINI hold? Also, this is probably a question I should have asked my service advisor, but do you know what kind of oil I should use to top off if necessary? That is, I know there are different "weights," but is there a recommended brand? I hesitated to ask my service advisor to avoid getting sold a bottle of MINI oil.

It holds 4.4 Quarts.

solskjaer1999 04-09-2014 11:24 AM

Although putting 5 quarts in isn't an issue. I do 5 quarts but 4.4 is the precise amount.

Engender 04-09-2014 05:05 PM

Great information, thanks guys!

Bosgarage57 04-09-2014 07:09 PM

Glad that's all yours was Eng, just got my mini and im experiencing a faint noise on start up. all this im hearing about broken timing chains and blown motors has me concerned.