R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Found a new intake valve cleaner...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andre71
This is the first time I have ever reviewed a product. After reading all the blogs stating that stuff like this does not work but nobody wanting to be the first to use t.ry it I decided base on the review of other CRC products. I own a 2008 mini cooper clubman s with just under 104,000 miles. My mini was running terrible and the only way to fix it was to do a walnut blast, so I thought. I followed the directions as stated on the can. Waited an hour and took the car for a spin. At first the car sputtered the first mile or two. and then the idle smoothed out and the car started running much better. After a few days the car has started to really gain back it's responsiveness, the rough idle has gone away as well as the lifter noise. All I can say is this stuff is amazing....Give it a try, you won't regret it.
hmmm, new member and this is your first post... just saying.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 AM
andre71
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccplus
hmmm, new member and this is your first post... just saying.
Think what you want bud! I will be laughing while you're spending hours to fix what took me and my son about 10 minutes. I am not one to post on blogs, or right reviews but this product worked so well for me I just wanted to pass along my experience. For the skeptics, keep doing it your way, for the ones who try this product you will be happy with the results.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by 05r50
The only real way to know is to remove the intake manifold and look which is on the backside or firewall side of the engine.
+1 on this.

DIY here on how to remove and clean.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andre71
This is the first time I have ever reviewed a product. After reading all the blogs stating that stuff like this does not work but nobody wanting to be the first to use t.ry it I decided base on the review of other CRC products. I own a 2008 mini cooper clubman s with just under 104,000 miles. My mini was running terrible and the only way to fix it was to do a walnut blast, so I thought. I followed the directions as stated on the can. Waited an hour and took the car for a spin. At first the car sputtered the first mile or two. and then the idle smoothed out and the car started running much better. After a few days the car has started to really gain back it's responsiveness, the rough idle has gone away as well as the lifter noise. All I can say is this stuff is amazing....Give it a try, you won't regret it.
Pics or it didn't happen

Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Tuner Boost
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remember all solvent based upper induction cleaners do result in scouring of the pistons and cylinder walls when the smaller particles of the coking brrreak loose and some are forced between the piston and cylinder wall....see this all the time when tearing down. But the results are very noticeable. No substitute for a manual valve cleaning or media blasting with crushed walnut shell.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Pics or it didn't happen
Totally correct, there's no way for you to know unless you remove the intake manifold. It takes incredible pressure and walnut shells to remove baked on oil based carbon not to be confused with gasoline based carbon deposits. If it were that easy people wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to have their intake valves blasted by walnut media not to mention the development of creating special tools.

Even if the product did work you wouldn't be able to stop the carbon from crumbling apart uncontrollably causing damage to the piston rings, valves and cylinder walls under boost. It would be like sand blasting the combustion chambers while under boost.

Last edited by Systemlord; 04-01-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Tuner Boost
2nd Gear
Systemlord is 100% correct. Only way to prevent this is from one of the very few can systems that do stop nearly all the ingestion, and almost all only trap 15-40% tops.....so read a few of the independent long term tests to see. Read the "another legitimate catchcan thread" for all sorts of data.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:57 PM
ASuman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the Wynns product.
In my opinion much better then Walnut Blast, Seafoam
All thou alot of people like the Walnut Blast, the bottom line is that it is just Hyped.
Not really needed.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
After having manually cleaned my valves using a combination of picks and walnut shell blasting a couple years back, I'm not convinced that there exists a product that would take that stuff off or dissolve it. People may be getting a marginal amount of the gunk off with chemicals...maybe enough to make a bit of a performance difference....but I have yet to see anyone show any before and after pics of fully-coked valves being totally cleaned by chemicals. The stuff that came off of my valves was virtually hard as a rock and had to be chipped off for the most part.

I'm not insinuating that people aren't telling the truth here...I'm just a skeptic when it comes to using these chemical methods to do a complete cleaning job on really caked valves.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:24 PM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had mine walnut blasted at 52,000 and the difference in performance was night and day ....I will have another done (if I am lucky and the car is still running) in another 30,000 because it really seems this is the only way to get the gunk out.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ASuman
I use the Wynns product.
In my opinion much better then Walnut Blast, Seafoam
All thou alot of people like the Walnut Blast, the bottom line is that it is just Hyped.
Not really needed.
Have you ever seen walnut blasting being performed and seen the actual results? I don't understand how walnut blasting can be called hype, there's plenty of before and after pictures (You Tube videos) showing the results. Perhaps an assumption without having all the facts?

Last edited by Systemlord; 04-02-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I used the CRC yesterday. Very quick and easy. Idle was significantly more stable afterwards and the engine ran much smoother. Obviously, there are no pictures, but the CRC treatment did some good.

Andre71 - where did you inject the CRC?

Eric

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Tuner Boost
2nd Gear
Systemlord is correct.....no damaging residue from the crushed walnut shell media......and I am an actual GM trained tech (back in 1974) and an Automotive Engineer and member in good standing of SAE (Society of automotive engineers) and work primarily on these issues and the solutions for them......tear down and examine and long term test every type gas DI engine you could imagine.

Watch this video if you have any doubt, and I can post tons of pics f the damage CRC/Seafoam/BG and the other solvent based cleaners if any want to see the scouring first hand:

There are thousands and thousands of examples. The crushed walnut shell blasting process is done with the cylinder to be cleaned at TDC so no debris can enter the combustion chamber. The abrasiveness of the media will not harm any component, and no solvent can come close....what the solvent based cleaner do is expand the deposit so a good portion breaks loose and most is expelled out the exhaust port. This shocks the catalytic converter (do a google search to see how many fail immediately after a solvent based cleaning as this debris and solvent hitting the red hot catalyst material fracture it.....and how many turned rod bearings when the oil is not immediately changed after the solvent cleaning as a good amount of the solvent enters the crankcase mixing with the oil and the dilution and debris then circulates through the engine. The oil pump first circulates the engine oil through the rods/mains/on many engines before it reaches the filter, and the filter does not remove the solvent. Again, I travel the country and Canada training service center techs on the new DI engines and the unique issues they have and see all of this time and time again.

Hope this sheds some light for those that don't fully understand all of this as most only base decisions on assumptions, and yes, after a solvent based service of course the engine will regain some lost power and pep.. but at what long term sacrifice?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Mini G1
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used it an have seen results in both gas mileage and pickup. I have a little over 100k on my mini and I doubt it has ever been done. Now I realize walnut blasting is the gold standard but this seems to have done something.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:58 AM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tuner Boost
Systemlord is correct.....no damaging residue from the crushed walnut shell media......and I am an actual GM trained tech (back in 1974) and an Automotive Engineer and member in good standing of SAE (Society of automotive engineers) and work primarily on these issues and the solutions for them......tear down and examine and long term test every type gas DI engine you could imagine.

Watch this video if you have any doubt, and I can post tons of pics f the damage CRC/Seafoam/BG and the other solvent based cleaners if any want to see the scouring first hand:

BMW N54 Engine Intake Valve Cleaning with Walnut Shell Blasting Equipment - YouTube

There are thousands and thousands of examples. The crushed walnut shell blasting process is done with the cylinder to be cleaned at TDC so no debris can enter the combustion chamber. The abrasiveness of the media will not harm any component, and no solvent can come close....what the solvent based cleaner do is expand the deposit so a good portion breaks loose and most is expelled out the exhaust port. This shocks the catalytic converter (do a google search to see how many fail immediately after a solvent based cleaning as this debris and solvent hitting the red hot catalyst material fracture it.....and how many turned rod bearings when the oil is not immediately changed after the solvent cleaning as a good amount of the solvent enters the crankcase mixing with the oil and the dilution and debris then circulates through the engine. The oil pump first circulates the engine oil through the rods/mains/on many engines before it reaches the filter, and the filter does not remove the solvent. Again, I travel the country and Canada training service center techs on the new DI engines and the unique issues they have and see all of this time and time again.

Hope this sheds some light for those that don't fully understand all of this as most only base decisions on assumptions, and yes, after a solvent based service of course the engine will regain some lost power and pep.. but at what long term sacrifice?
What about a bottle of Techron? Would that also be damaging like the other solvents; given BMW recommends it.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:53 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Last edited by yesti; 10-19-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:06 PM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Please read the thread from the beginning, we're going in circles here. Fuel doesn't touch the valves. You'd clean the combustion chamber a little but not the valves. BMW also recommends not changing your engine oil till 15k miles are you going to do that too? They recommend changing the ATF fluid never. Which is fine if you're leasing the car but if you own it then a little knowledge comes in handy.
I’ve read through from the beginning. My question is regarding the text I quoted, not what you’re answering.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM
yesti
5th Gear

Last edited by yesti; 10-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:21 PM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
How are you planning on using the techron? Pouring it in your gas tank or sucking it through the intake? If it's gas tank then you know my answer. If it's intake then see the post you quoted for the answer.
I understand how DIs work. My question is regarding the potency of bottled Techron in correlation with pre-mixed Top-Tier Premiums, compared to the other OTC solvents.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 PM
yesti
5th Gear

Last edited by yesti; 10-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 PM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
I'd guess a bottle is more potent than what's mixed in the gas at Chevron which is why you shouldn't use it with every fill up. Here's a question for you, how does BMW recommend using techron?
This is why I asked user Tuner Boost, who says he’s an industry tech. Figured he might have better info then guesses. As far as your question regarding how (why?) BMW recommends, that depends on what the facts are regarding their potency and effect, which none of us actually know.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:27 AM
yesti
5th Gear

Last edited by yesti; 10-19-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: sanity
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 AM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
I think the point we're all trying to make is regardless of how the solvent works, its the debris that causes the damage. If the solvent somehow vaporizes the deposits then you should be good, but if it causes it to dislodge from the valve it will score the cylinder, and/or break your turbo, and/or overheat your catalytic converter. I'm pretty sure BMW recommends techron as a fuel system cleaner (pour it in the tank) which you know does nothing for the valves. And is a walnut blast every 50k (2-3 times in the lifetime of the car) really that much to ask?
The point you are trying to make is already understood and stated previously. At issue is in fact how the solvent works, which again none of us fully understand. No one is questioning the effectiveness of media blasting; that was not the susbstance of my original query.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 PM
rcmini27
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used the CRC spray per the instructions. Because I used it in January I can judge the cold weather starts and performance. There is a clear improvement in cold starts but no great difference in mileage. I don't have any microbore pictures and plan on doing more to the valves later. I just have to pick up the special tool for the walnut blast. The MCS has 120,000 miles on it so I am sure there was some carbon build up. It really spit and sputtered when I started it after the one hour soak but it ran nicely after about 30 seconds. For the $16 it cost and the improvement in cold starts, I am pleased and would recommend it.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 AM
redlinealley
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I used the CRC a couple of months ago and had some improvements of pick and go. A month later I tore the intake off and the valves were still gunk up with carbon. I performed a walnut blast treatment and a lot better now. I personally think the CRC is ok to use on the intermittent between walnut blasting, but does NOT get rid of the carbon build up

Quick Reply: R56 Found a new intake valve cleaner...thoughts?