R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Just received a letter from MINI

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM
sneal46
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just received a letter from MINI

Apparently they are asking me to bring the car in (2008 MCS) for a recall on the timing chain tensioner. My question is.... will they replace it regardless or only if there is a "problem"? I live 2 hrs from the dealer and would not be happy to bring it there and then they say everything is fine.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sneal46
Apparently they are asking me to bring the car in (2008 MCS) for a recall on the timing chain tensioner. My question is.... will they replace it regardless or only if there is a "problem"? I live 2 hrs from the dealer and would not be happy to bring it there and then they say everything is fine.

From what i was told they will only replace the tensioner if you have the orginal one still in it. if you have had it updated already then they wont do it.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM
sneal46
1st Gear
The original is still in there so the chances are good that they will change it. That is good to know.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
wow, so it's rolling out now?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 AM
bimmershark
1st Gear
they will probably check the slack in your chain as well if that is beyond the max they will replace chain guides and tensioner ...at least for my 08 they did

Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dang I called my dealership yesterday and they told me only thing they have on my MINI is a recall on the turbo heat shield. No timing chain for me I guess...

Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 AM
schmoops
Neutral
Originally Posted by sneal46
Does the letter actually refer to a "recall" ... or some type of service action?

If you don't mind, would you share the text of the letter? Or a photo of it with your personal information removed? Thanks!

Originally Posted by bimmershark
they will probably check the slack in your chain as well if that is beyond the max they will replace chain guides and tensioner ...at least for my 08 they did
When I spoke to the SA yesterday (after confirming I was eligible, and making my appointment) he said "we check the chain for slack, if it's stretched we'll replace the chain, rails and tensioner. If it's not, we'll just replace the tensioner.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 AM
schmoops
Neutral
dup

Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
It is a "service campaign" from what my SA has told me. I've got my 07 MCS scheduled for the 5th for the campaign, CEL and misfire issues, and also for the replacement of the heat shield. Here is what I was told about the process for the service campaign ..

- If they haven't already, they'll pull the VIN to check the history and see if timing components have ever been changed before.
- They will inspect the timing chain slack.
- If it still has the old part number, they will replace all of the timing components.
- If you have an updated or newer part number, it falls outside of the service campaign.
- If you have issues with newer components or fall outside the campaign range, how dealerships handle that is at their discretion.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:21 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I called the closest dealer to me (Flow Mini in Raleigh,NC) and after checking my VIN he said I fall under the campaign guidelines for heat shield and timing chain. Said to plan on leaving it for at least seven hours.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I got the letter today too

It does not display any of the official headings and wording that the SAFETY RECALL letter I have in hand for my Honda ...

It says come in for us to check ... you may or might and IF we find an issue we'll replace .. IF NECESSARY.

Name:  MINIchainltr_zps29301ba2.jpeg
Views: 219
Size:  64.2 KB

Had this letter come last week I MIGHT not have moved on to a Focus ST last Friday. After 15 years of my daily driver being a MINI ... the ST gives me the feel I remember getting in my 2002 Cooper S

Mine was an early 2007 (still with the old tire pressure system - pre-TPMS) so maybe they are sending the letters in build order.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
sneal46
1st Gear
Yes, that is the exact letter that I received. What would this be classified as? A CYA letter? I will try to get as much done over the phone as I can before driving it into the dealership.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Get clarification from your dealer whether its on all belts or just worn belts.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if they are going to do anything about all the people who have had to replace their tensioners or entire timing chain assemblies on their own dime? I'm glad to see MINI finally trying to do something about the issue, but not happy I've already thrown ≈$1,700 at this myself.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
I'm feeling cheated by MINI at this point too unless they reimburse me for the timing chain replacement that was required at about 28,000 miles. At the time I contacted them about a goodwill repair and they said tough luck. The current campaign seems to be that if they screwed you in the past too bad for you. If you managed to not have your engine fall apart until now it is your lucky day. I just want to be reimbursed for the timing chain replacement. I have the receipt and would be happy to send a copy to them.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gregdconsulting
I'm feeling cheated by MINI at this point too unless they reimburse me for the timing chain replacement that was required at about 28,000 miles. At the time I contacted them about a goodwill repair and they said tough luck. The current campaign seems to be that if they screwed you in the past too bad for you. If you managed to not have your engine fall apart until now it is your lucky day. I just want to be reimbursed for the timing chain replacement. I have the receipt and would be happy to send a copy to them.
Why wouldn't you contact MINI USA and just ask them about it? It's clearly a severely common issue .. and at 28,000 miles, were you not covered under a warranty??

Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
vetsvette
Send them a letter with copies of your receipt and ask the question. Also, I would call HQ Mini USA and talk to someone. Not one of their minions, but someone higher up the food chain. Be polite, but firm when asking your questions. Start out by telling them what you like about your Mini and then address your concerns. This has worked for me on many occasions when dealing with one kind of faulty equipment or another. It costs you nothing but the postage and gives them a chance to develop a happy, and in their minds, repeat customer.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
I am planning to contact MINI again, I was just waiting for the official service bulletin to come out and to see if they would step up and take care of us.
My 2007 warranty expired May 2012. The timing chain failed in September or October. The mileage is low because I was living in Boston most of the time and the car was living in Seattle. The timing chain started to fail 1 hr. from Madison WI on the drive to Boston. MINI of Madison was great, but there wasn't time to work on a goodwill repair.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM
CooperS84
3rd Gear
I haven't received a letter but I'm curious if my 08 Cooper S with 113k on the clock would fall under this service campaign, think its worth a shot calling MINI?!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by CooperS84
I haven't received a letter but I'm curious if my 08 Cooper S with 113k on the clock would fall under this service campaign, think its worth a shot calling MINI?!
I called a local dealer about mine. He asked for the VIN, and then confirmed that mine falls under the campaign. Wanted to make an appointment for me right then, but I can't get there until next week. I'll let y'all know what happens at that time. Definitely worth a call!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 AM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
It seems from all the posts here the letters are being sent out first to 2007 owners and then the 2008, 2009 and on. If so, it makes sense so not to overwhelm the dealers. I will patiently wait my turn.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I wonder if they are going to do anything about all the people who have had to replace their tensioners or entire timing chain assemblies on their own dime? I'm glad to see MINI finally trying to do something about the issue, but not happy I've already thrown ≈$1,700 at this myself.
I spent a lot more than that, especially with the towing bills. I'll never buy another MINI nor, by extension, a BMW.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Redrek43
1st Gear
I called the local mini dealer and when I mentioned at that I talked to mini about the death rattle when it's cold out(here in Colorado) he said that there is a something out to fix it(timing chain and tensioner) and to bring it in Friday on my day off so I'll let you know what they say. I have an 09 mcs with 58k on it

Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
I spent a lot more than that, especially with the towing bills. I'll never buy another MINI nor, by extension, a BMW.
It's doubtful I will buy another MINI, but that is mainly because I don't like the design direction. If they stay on this course of only offering to do these repairs on their dime for those who have been fortunate enough to not have to deal with it and leaving the rest of us out in the cold, that would just be one more reason for me to not buy another MINI.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I received the exact same letter as well for my '08 R56.
Set up an appointment to take it in tomorrow to have it checked.

Service guy on the phone referred to this as a (and I quote) "recall".
Just FYI.

Quick Reply: R56 Just received a letter from MINI