Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain N14 main bearing info and sources

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 AM
John_theCapn
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N14 main bearing info and sources

According to RealOEM and this link, there are 5 "colors" of bearings to choose from. This all depends on the letters marked on the block and crank.
If I decipher what I have and take the resulting colors, I can get the OEM part numbers and go shopping.
Yep, that's all well and good, but $660 is not my idea of fun. After trying to find other sources, I ran across Mahle's kit: VM1022. King's set is: MB5758SI.

Here's where it gets interesting. Since the colors represent different bore diameters and the thicknesses associated with that, how can the Mahle and King kit be universal? When installed do they crush to fit? Kind of like rear differential shims do? What effect on the crankshaft balance will this have? I mean, if there are tolerance gaps in some journals and it's tight in others, that's not good, correct? Would that be corrected by oil pressure? Is this even enough to worry about? If not, why would BMW/PSA even do the color coding in the first place. Reasons, I am sure.

Where have all you sourced your main bearings from? OEM/dealer, other?

PS: I could ask my engine bldr guy, but he's swamped at the moment, so I am on my own here.

Last edited by John_theCapn; 09-21-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:00 AM
John_theCapn
3rd Gear
I was able to find this info after more searching...

Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral

Someone has gone to Peugeot for me and ordered a complete set of bearings for 100E, Check out MINI's Price Hmmm. The Engine is EP6 DT from Peugeot who produce it. The BLACK mains are standard, the GREEN are for cranks with a bit of mileage on them the YELLOW and ORANGE are for polished or turned cranks. Yes I should be giving you sizes but this is what I have.
This goes back to my question..... If the block/crank combo calls for Yellow/Green, then are the standard kits (Mahle and King) going to work?

Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
send an email to this seller on ebay...I bought two sets from him with overnight shipping for 350...Amazing, right...good luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-R55-R56...0AAOSwubRXHjk9

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM
John_theCapn
3rd Gear
I did just that... and here is the reply.
Thank you for your inquiry.

We have been selling BMW bearings for a long time and I can confirm to you that the color coding for this engine specifically do not make any difference.

If you need standard size, you can just order standard, it will fit 100%
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
send an email to this seller on ebay...I bought two sets from him with overnight shipping for 350...Amazing, right...good luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-R55-R56...0AAOSwubRXHjk9

Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
excellent!

i had no issues with them

Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM
John_theCapn
3rd Gear
Just to give everyone an update...

After doing some pain-in-the-rear reasearch, I found that MINI(BMW) is kinda like Nissan in the way they do bearings. The difference between the green, yellow, orange and brown is very small thickness amounts. Like .00005 or some ridiculousness. This goes to show that they are insanely particular about somethings, but stupidly apathetic about others. Pistons, valve guides and seals especially.

My engine guy was nice enough to cover his mistake (losing the main bearings) and replaced them with a set of King's. So far, break-in has gone well, with no issues.