North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Painful cooper s car seat... Solution needed!!! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/242421-painful-cooper-s-car-seat-solution-needed.html)

Minifrench 12-20-2012 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bart1 (Post 3644298)
For the door, maybe take off your panel and see if the moisture barrier is intact.

unfortunately there is no barrier in the gen 2.

Bponce23 12-20-2012 02:30 PM

well i'm sure it isn't a lumbar issue... i think i'm going to go to a pro upholsterer and see what the charge. I really want to keep the look of the seats... have them match and stuff... i got the cloth/ all black seats...

Luckyelfie 12-20-2012 02:43 PM

I found the lounge leather seats to be the most comfortable on my larger frame. You should try them out.

Bponce23 12-20-2012 02:53 PM

WOO HOO.. i just talked to a local upholstery shop... 150-180 to redo the seat part with softer foam....

problem is the seat heaters... said they are glued on and are a real pain to deal with ... i said that i don't give a crap about the seat heater and he can cut them off for all i care... as long as he gives me a softer seat... my fart will warm up the seats on cold days :)

pw16 01-02-2013 08:31 PM

I have the same problem. Sometimes even my smallest two toes go numb. My position in the seat makes a difference but doesn't alleviate the problem entirely.

I have the base seats and retrofitted the lumbar. The lumbar makes a big difference for my back. I regret trying to save money by getting the base seats.

Fastlane 01-03-2013 05:54 AM

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I think it also contributes to the left bolster comfort issue....

On my r50 cooper, the drivers seat was exactly centered with the steering wheel. When I first got my r56, I immediately noticed that the seat was offset to the right by as much as an inch or so. IMO, I tried to compensate for this (not really on purpose) by shifting my body to the left in the seat. This puts more pressure on the left thigh against the bolster.....hence the discomfort. That's my theory, anyway.

Minifrench 01-03-2013 12:09 PM

I don't have anymore this pressure on my leg since I set up my seat higher (much higher). It helps to support more "weight" of my leg. The higher I go the more comfortable it is and when i go back to a very low set up (very sporty position) the pain is coming back.
You should try.
Finally I decided to just feel a little bit the pressure but having a more "sporty" position. Higher I was like driving a 4X4. It is a compromise.

MNIPWR 01-03-2013 01:55 PM

For the people with this issue have you ever thought about sliding your seat backwards?

jbat66 04-14-2013 09:21 AM

I went on a 14 hour drive in my wifes Countryman, but before hand I got a pair of seat pads from wallyworld. (walmart) The seat pads are foam inside of a zipped up liner. I took the foam out cut the sides off so they laid down in the bottom of the seat between the bolsters. I then put the foam back into the liner. I stack both on top of each other and I have a great ride now. I just need to find a way to make it to I don't have to readjust them everytime I get into the car.

Originally Posted by jbat66 (Post 3644633)
Funny I have the same problem in my Convertible S 2013, but more so in my wife's S Countryman 2012.

I have been playing with the idea of making a pad, that just fit between the bolsters so that I'm up a little bit, and that would make the bolsters not "pinch" as much.

I will be watching this thread for more ideas.

mrluckypa 04-14-2013 09:48 AM

Sport seats (that come standard on S) are the only seats that I can sit it comfortably for at least 8 hours any other cause back pain I just can't have lumbar support thanks to a dumb ass 16 year old who broke my vertebrae three years ago.

Seats in my CM are just perfect and even better when I turn the heat on.

MNIPWR 04-14-2013 10:32 PM

Just to throw this out there. The human Body is not supposed to be sitting for that long. So no kidding if you start to feel uncomfortable. Common sense people. If you can sit 8 hours anywhere before you back hurts after your broken back then you really can't complain. I can sit for about 30-45min before I feel discomfort. You own a mini people. It is not designed to be comfortable. It is designed to be fun!

Gator Vlad 05-14-2013 03:48 PM

Do NOT get Recaro seats! Very painful!