R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Alot of oil in pcv valve intake manifold side

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 03:05 PM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alot of oil in pcv valve intake manifold side

Is it normal to have alot of oil in the pcv pipe? I already replaced the valve cover and still getting g alot of oil through the pcv but it's only going in through the manifold side, the turbo side pcv is dry and clean and the pipe from the outlet of the turbo is clean and dry as well yet the other day I removed the intercooler and their was oil trickling out of it, my car burns oil and it's very noticeable and embarrassing. I don't know if this is comming from the pcv system or if i have bad valve stem seals or bad rings, it starts burning oil after the car has been driven for several miles I'm just wondering why thier is so much oil ending up in one side of the pcv and not the other, I ordered a oil catch can to see if this helps with the oil burning if that doest do it it's most likely my rings or seals. If so can I just put new rings or do I habe to re hone the bores?

Old 09-01-2022, 03:39 AM
PeaceVam
Neutral
I used to have the same issue with pcv pipe, so I installed the catch can and drove with it for about six month. It did help with the oil consumption a bit, but I still had to replace seals and rings to get rid of smoke completely at the end. No honing or boring was necessary in my case. And the most interesting part: after rebuilding the engine in a couple of month I realized that there is no more oil collects in the catch can, so I got rid of it.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:39 AM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PeaceVam
I used to have the same issue with pcv pipe, so I installed the catch can and drove with it for about six month. It did help with the oil consumption a bit, but I still had to replace seals and rings to get rid of smoke completely at the end. No honing or boring was necessary in my case. And the most interesting part: after rebuilding the engine in a couple of month I realized that there is no more oil collects in the catch can, so I got rid of it.
I think its my rings also I feel like the excessive blow by is causing the oil to be pushed into the pcv I tried a can of engine restore that seems to have helped only for a few miles until it started smoking again I'm wondering if I can just replace the rings for now without any honing just to get rid of the smoke but I don't want to end up with more problems but it's not like the engine isn't already going to need a rebuild or replacment maybe when I get my second car running I can find the time to do the rings, how well has your engine been since replacing the rings?

Old 09-01-2022, 12:23 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
With the right tools and technique, you should be able to replace the valve stem seals without removing the head. It will be an in depth teardown to get to the point of replacing the seals, but not as invasive as replacing the piston rings. Might be worth the exercise as a stop gap. And, if it fixes your issue, even better.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:42 PM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
With the right tools and technique, you should be able to replace the valve stem seals without removing the head. It will be an in depth teardown to get to the point of replacing the seals, but not as invasive as replacing the piston rings. Might be worth the exercise as a stop gap. And, if it fixes your issue, even better.
Yeah I was planning on replacing the seals when I do my timing chain every now and then I'll hear it rattling on cold starts but it goes away after letting the car idle for a few minutes, has me thinking thiers something up with the tensioner getting jammed slightly and not putting pressure on the guides, I feel pretty confident bad piston rings but like you said valve stem seals are easier to do I hope I'm wrong and it is the seals last I checked the compressons on the cylinders it was at 135 ish dry, to me that seems bad for a car with 140k but I'm just a diyer what do I know according to the fuel consumption on the tach I'm getting around 35-36 mpg in the city but I don't know how accurate that may be.