North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 PCV Block-off / OCC Installation Question (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/238252-pcv-block-off-occ-installation-question.html)

Crimson Nape Racing 09-28-2012 11:15 AM

PCV Block-off / OCC Installation Question

I searched and found various pieces of info in various places, so please forgive me if this is just my ignorance, but the BSH website is a little short on info and I don't want to do anything that could harm the car. Here is what I think I know:
1) there are 2 PCV hoses.
2) installing the OCC on 1 won't do you much good.
3) BSH says to install it on the driver's side, but never mentions the other one. I always "Seafoamed" the passenger side, so that is where I assumed it would go.
4) the passenger side should be plugged (or a second OCC installed) to get the full benefit.

I know some have said oil consumption went way up when they blocked the passenger side PCV. I just did it last night and will watch the oil consumption. I used a solid plug to block the passenger side, not the $60 BSH dual port thing. TIA for the board's knowledge.

countryboyshane 09-28-2012 11:42 AM

I have my passenger side PCV tube blocket off with the plug that Peugeot was selling for the 207 model. I've done this since early Spring 2012. I haven't noticed very detrimental oil consumption but then again it's not my daily driver. Last time at the track I had some smoky puffs when I was idling around the paddock but couldn't really distinguish if it was the blue-ish smoke associated with burning oil or whether I blew out some carbon after a 20 minute session on track. No problem with smoke when I was on the track or people complaining my car was an insect fogger. I guess we'll see how things go in the long run.

You could try plumbing the passenger side PCV port into a junction that would join the drivers side tube and then plumb that all into one OCC. IMHO this is such a pain and silly thing to do with all these hoses and cans that aren't particularly proven over the long haul. I would rather just clean my intake manually and delete the pipe that's dumping that crud into harms way.

bluefox280 09-29-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing (Post 3598199)
I know some have said oil consumption went way up when they blocked the passenger side PCV.

I am one of the OCC owners that did NOT see increased consumption after installing the passenger PCV block-off.

I've had extremely good results with the OCC.
Remember that when blocking off the passenger side, ALL vapor must go through the OCC regardless of vacuum or boost conditions.

- Erik

DneprDave 09-29-2012 03:58 PM

I blocked off the passenger side PCV line with BSH's Dual Boost Port, as I have a boost/vacuum gage installed. I also have the BSH Oil Catch Can. I did this when the car had only a couple of thousand miles on it. It doesn't use any oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

Dave

Crimson Nape Racing 09-30-2012 03:42 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll keep the block in and just make sure I keep an eye on the oil level (in the engine and the catch can).

Tonysg 09-30-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by DneprDave (Post 3598790)
I blocked off the passenger side PCV line with BSH's Dual Boost Port, as I have a boost/vacuum gage installed. I also have the BSH Oil Catch Can. I did this when the car had only a couple of thousand miles on it. It doesn't use any oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

Dave

Hey Dave I also noticed that after putting my BSH OCC and blocking the passenger port that I now do not see any dip in my oil level. the 1st 3 weeks I had the car seemed like there was a very slight drop in oil levels, I ended up putting in 1/2 quart during that time, now none

bwoznik 10-08-2012 10:28 AM

Can anyone help me locate the Peugeot blanking caps. I cannot seem to find any on the net and there are no dealers local to me.

Any help is appreciated. My BSH OCC is set to arrive in a couple days and I would like to do both installs at the same time.

Brian

bluefox280 10-08-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bwoznik (Post 3603908)
Can anyone help me locate the Peugeot blanking caps.

If you can't source the Peugeot P/N #0361.S4...
You can head to your local Audi dealer and order the same cap: P/N #036131510

Also, ECSTuning.com now carries them too:
* http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/036131510/ES274329/

- Erik

Porthos 10-08-2012 09:26 PM

Yeah I blocked mine off and I believe I am burning more oil. Though that could have been simply from the type of oil I was running. I just changed it Friday and will be keeping an eye on it.

bwoznik 10-09-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by bluefox280 (Post 3604271)
If you can't source the Peugeot P/N #0361.S4...
You can head to your local Audi dealer and order the same cap: P/N #036131510

Also, ECSTuning.com now carries them too:
* http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/036131510/ES274329/

- Erik

Thanks a ton Erik!

NY_R56 10-09-2012 04:40 PM

You can also get it from a VW dealer too. That where I got mine.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Crimson Nape Racing 10-19-2012 10:26 AM

silly question, but does the other end of the vent hose have the same connection? do you get 2 of these and remove the hose altogether? I ordered 1 and then realized I have to block off the hose too. I suppose a baggie and zip tie would work on the hose, but that's too cheesy even for me.

bluefox280 10-19-2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing (Post 3611396)
silly question, but does the other end of the vent hose have the same connection? do you get 2 of these and remove the hose altogether?

Correct; the passenger PCV hose has the same connection on either end.
You'll need two (2) caps to completely delete the hose.

- Erik

Bigprfed22 10-19-2012 11:54 AM

Cap the pass. side, vent the driver to atmo :-)

Crimson Nape Racing 10-19-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluefox280 (Post 3611475)
Correct; the passenger PCV hose has the same connection on either end.
You'll need two (2) caps to completely delete the hose.

- Erik

Thanks. It's off to the Audi/Volkswagen dealer again.

cooperjunkie 10-22-2012 08:32 AM

I'm about to do this as well and I have a few questions. I see that there is a group buy now for a catch can. Any thoughts on it? Also, what is the benefit or disadvantage to venting to the atmosphere like Bigprfed22 said? I have vented Hondas like that with the lil filter before and never had a problem. Thoughts?

Bigprfed22 10-22-2012 08:50 AM

I vent to atmo w/ a catch can lol, doing a slight part:lol:

Originally Posted by cooperjunkie (Post 3613014)
I'm about to do this as well and I have a few questions. I see that there is a group buy now for a catch can. Any thoughts on it? Also, what is the benefit or disadvantage to venting to the atmosphere like Bigprfed22 said? I have vented Hondas like that with the lil filter before and never had a problem. Thoughts?

texasmontego 10-23-2012 11:10 AM

Just did this 2 weeks ago.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...al-w-pics.html

Those caps work perfectly. I removed my PCV hose completely.

bisnitch 10-22-2015 06:14 PM

Does anyone in the USA, know where I can buy 2 of these? That site looks down and there are none on ebay right now.

Indimanic 10-22-2015 09:15 PM

Blocking off the pass side port has the additional benefit of NOT allowing boost pressure to cause the failure of the 1 way valve in the VC. Its best to install an aftermarket 1 way valve in line but still use the pass outlet for proper crankcase venting. I just "y"ed in the 2 VC vents then go to the OCC. THe DME wants to see the crank case air mass so venting to atmosphere should be avoided but its not critical. I've done both.

ECSTuning 10-23-2015 07:35 AM

You can get the MINI version here: 11617596034

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...estions-2.html

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...7dcf016e12.jpg

SPRINTCARS 10-23-2015 04:26 PM

Lmao. I love it. Who here knows anything about low tension rings and how they work ? Why they were developed ? What ring package is installed in these N14 motors of ours ?

coachvminis 02-17-2017 09:16 AM

I was told venting to atmosphere is a bad idea and get ring float?....If blocking the pass pcv hose? Is this correct?....I want to block off the pass side pcv and I just installed a new valve cover and thinking OCC. I cleaned,decoaked my valves...So OCC or vent to atmosphere? with blocking the pass pcv...I want to delete the hose alltogether so two caps are in order...anyone?

Sstrickstein 02-17-2017 11:37 AM

Jerry from Eurotechs told me the stock low tension piston rings seem to need the added vacuum the passenger side PCV provides to seat well. If you have replaced rings or pistons with quality aftermarket you don't need this so block it off

DneprDave 02-17-2017 11:50 AM

Jerry from Eurothechs is wrong. During the combustion cycle, there is more than 1500 psi combustion pressure in the cylinder at the beginning of the power stroke, a few inches of vacuum isn't going to make any difference in the ability of the rings to seat.