R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clicking clattery sound from turbo at moderate acceleration. Help! I'm begging!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
No I never did. I just live with it. I took it to 2 different Mini dealerships and they swore they couldnt hear anything or at first they did then changed their tune to they didn't. It hasnt gotten any louder or any more frequent so I'm just motoring on. Please let me know if you find it though.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
stevenpollock
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperjunkie
No I never did. I just live with it. I took it to 2 different Mini dealerships and they swore they couldnt hear anything or at first they did then changed their tune to they didn't. It hasnt gotten any louder or any more frequent so I'm just motoring on. Please let me know if you find it though.
So last night I realized I was very low on oil. I just had my oil changed this morning and haven't noticed it since, although I am driving a little more carefully now. My own-not a-mechanic theory is that the turbo was being starved of oil on hard accelerations and when I noticed it most, turning hard while accelerating, and what we're hearing is the turbo spooling dry.

I had a weak fuel pump back when I had my R53 and it ended up costing my an engine. Naive me didn't think anything of my oil light coming on when I was turning hard.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
The whole starving turbo theory seems to make sense but mine only makes the sound at partial throttle. If i hear the noise and floor it the sound quickly fades away. And my oil has been changed several times and that doesnt seem to faze it.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM
slavik
2nd Gear
any updates on this?

Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
card in a bicycle wheel!

Well I have been experiencing this same exact noise which started I think, this summer but as was stated it may only be that I am now hearing it because I have the top down. I typed into google... card in bicycle wheel and to my amazement came to this post. I have no resolution! but wanted to let you know I have this issue as well. My vehicle is a 2010 s vert ...so if anyone finds out what this actually is..please let us know! I have an aftermarket warranty and can not afford to chase it down through the dealer the exact issue knowing they will try to replace anything and everything if they admit to hearing the sound. It is very prevalent though only when traveling next to a barrier that actually enhances the sound coming from the car. Otherwise the sound is almost not noticeable on the open road. I have no loss of power also and the car actually has been nothing but great! so until I feel some sort of hiccup or experience anything more , I will treat it like the OP and just drive her!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Steve Meyer
Neutral
I just bought a used manual 2 door 2.0 turbo GTI with alot of after market parts. the 1st owner had tricked it out pretty nice. but it was getting stuck in 1st gear and I was told the clutch was a performance clutch but completely burnt out. with the clutch that was in it the pedal was really firm and I had to be giving extra gas to make sure it changed out of gear. but man could that baby move! I just got it back today with a new clutch and fly wheel. it's alot easier to drive and still fast as hell with the turbo. but it definatly lost some quickness. I started writing because there was a violent clicking under my hood when I was idle. but when I Gabe gas it stopped. I was told by the dealer who I bought it from that it was the turbo, but it has since stopped after I got the new clutch and fly wheel... maybe it is one of those 2. hope this helps