R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Civic Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM
kxmini
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Civic Spare Tire

Well it's time to replace the original RFs on my wife's 08 MCS (Buzz w/17: Crown Spoke wheels). Got 40k out of them. Going to replace them with non-RFs and want to get her a spare. I've done some searching on using a Civic donut, but didn't find a lot of posts about it.

Is the Civic spare a viable option? What model years are useable?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kxmini
Going to replace them with non-RFs and want to get her a spare.
Were you planning to mount the spare in the vehicle?
With the 'S'-model, the center exhaust interferes with the OEM mounting location of a spare tire.

've done some searching on using a Civic donut, but didn't find a lot of posts about it.
There's only one thread I've seen referencing a Honda Civic spare:
* https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

Is the Civic spare a viable option? What model years are useable?
Mid-90's through the mid-to-late 2000's could would.
Also remember, that with the 'S'-model brakes up front, a 15" spare will not mount.
You will have to transfer a rear wheel to the front and always place the 15" spare on the rear wheels.

Here's the how-to on getting an OEM spare through MINI:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-74-00-a.html

- Erik

Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is probably the best wheel to look for --> Honda 15" 4X100 ctr bore 56.1 used on CIVIC.

CIVIC, EX 89-on 4X100 56.1
CRX SI 86-91 4X100 56.1
DEL SOL, V-TECH 92-on 4X100 56.1
INSIGHT 01-on 4X100 56.1
PRELUDE SI 86-91 4X100 56.1

*Note all the Honda wheels I have ever had were ball seat*

I setup our Mini S with a spare tire from a late 90s VW Jetta (98 2.0 not VR6). I used the 15" wheel that has the larger overall dia. It only fits on the rear of the Mini. (I had the spare wheel sitting in the garage so I just used it)

The Jetta spare wheel is a 4X100 with a hub center of 57.1 v.s. the Mini's hub center of 56.1. That is only .5mm radius different. The other difference is that the Jetta spare has ball seats not cone seats. You can not get (14mm) M14 X 1.25 wheel bolts with a ball seat. I use ball seat adapter washers. The washers help center the wheel and I can use the Mini cone wheel bolts. I got some extra wheel bolts that have a gray finish just so we would have some in the event that one of the hex heads rounds off someday.

Wheel bolt info:
Mini gen2 2012 (R55/56/57/60 COOPER & S) wheel bolt: M14 X 1.25 (stock length 28mm) 17mm head with conical taper (check bolt specs for your year). Never use cone seat lugs or wheel bolts on ball seat wheels without adapter washers. Never use ball seat lugs or bolts on cone seat wheels. You can get wheel bolts and adapter washers at Prestige Wheel Inc:
http://www.prestigewheel.com/index.html
http://www.prestigewheel.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=5478

Mounting the tire the easy way
I found a cover for the wheel and used a webbing strap to secure the spare wheel in the trunk. The webbing loops around the tire and the tails attach to the seat locking points. You should make sure the spare is secure and can not move in the event of a collision. The stock trunk net was used to make a pocket to keep our extra tools and our extra parts in the wheel's barrel. I extended the rear seats to the more forward position (rotate the strike pin 90 degrees). The trunk cover can still be used in this configuration. It is not very comfortable to sit in the back seat in this configuration but we can adjust it back if needed. (See step three photo below)

You may want to put wheel blocks/ chocks (Mini S does not have them) gloves, Ziplock bags, a few trash bags (to put the dirty flat tire/ wheel assembly in) and some hand towels in your kit.

I bet you know how to mount a spare tire but it just may help you if you think about all the steps as you collect the parts for your kit.

The steps to use the spare tire:
1) Make sure you use the parking brake when using the factory supplied jack. If you don't your car could fall of the jack. Wheel chocks would help.
2-4) Remove the trunk cover and place it in the car but make sure you don't fold the rear seat on it!!!

5) Remove the spare tire and all contents from the trunk.
6) Remove the jack from the lower compartment.
7) Set the jack to the needed extension to interface with the rear jack point. NEVER PUT ANY PART OF YOUR PERSON UNDER A CAR WHEN USING THE JACK.
8) Insert the jack into the rear jack point near the rear wheel you want to remove first. Even if the front is flat you need to remove the rear wheel first. When you are on the side of the road it is easy to start working on the front first only to find out you have to start all over.

9-10) Remove any wheel or lug covers. Remove the rear wheel by breaking the bolts with the wheel part way touching the ground (the E brake will help on the rear too).
10 continued-11) Jack the car up so the wheel is all the way off the ground (about 15mm). Then remove the rear wheel and place it under the car.
12) Place ball seat washers over cone seat wheel bolts when installing spare with ball seat holes.

13) Mount spare. Insert first lug by hand making sure it is snug.
14-16) Load the other lugs keeping the wheel centered and tighten lugs in X pattern.

Then you can swap the front if needed but move the jack to the front location. Repeat the steps that apply.

Print this out and put it in with the tools so you make sure you don't forget the details. It can be handy if a friend drives your Mini.

Last edited by OceanMini2; 05-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outmotoring.com has a couple options too, a larger one and a smaller one.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
kxmini
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies so.

Bluefox, My plan is to put the spare behind the driver's seat. My wife is only 5' tall so there will be plenty of room for it. Hope to get some kind of bag like Oceanmini has in his pics. Thanks for the link to how to mount one though. That's pretty impressive what that guy did. I was aware that the spare would not fit the front. Mid 90's to late 2000 spare should be fairly easy to find. Thanks for the info.

Oceanmini, Wow! You put some effort into your response and I really appreciate it. I'm sure I will not be the only one to find it very useful info. I'm guessing I want have to deal with the ball seat issues since I'm dealing with an 08, but will be on the lookout just in case.

Kirby11, I'm hoping the Civic spare is more the size of the smaller one that Outmotoring carries. I will consider that if I can't come up with one from a junk yard. Hoping to save some money by using the Civic spare.

If anyone else has any input please post. I like to get as much info as I can when I do stuff like this.

Chris

Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
I have the smaller one from Outmotoring and it's really small (almost silly looking), but it will get the job done of getting you off the highway and to a tire place. I only carry it on longer trips, but I always have slime kit in the car with a compressor and plugs.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 AM
onionjello
1st Gear
I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S and i found a used spare tire for a Honda Civic at a salvage yard for $50.00. You can mount it under the car easily, just click on the link for step by step instructions on how I did it myself:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

Old 02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Do r56 cooper s come with a jack?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
kxmini
2nd Gear
I got a donut from a 94 civic that worked just fine on the back.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Powashiftin
Do r56 cooper s come with a jack?
Ours does.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Vandaldog
Neutral
@ OceanMini2 -- "Place ball seat washers over cone seat wheel bolts when installing spare with ball seat holes."

Fantastic info! Can you tell me where you found the adapter washers you show?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vandaldog; 05-03-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Clarification of question
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 PM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Vandaldog
@ OceanMini2 -- "Place ball seat washers over cone seat wheel bolts when installing spare with ball seat holes."

Fantastic info! Can you tell me where you found the adapter washers you show?

Thanks!
Try Prestige Wheel Inc:
http://www.prestigewheel.com/index.html
http://www.prestigewheel.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=5478

Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Tallman
3rd Gear
Remember, if your front wheel drive vehicle gets a flat on the front, substitute with the rear wheel. Then apply the Temp. on that empty rear hub. Less chance of damaging your engine.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tallman
Remember, if your front wheel drive vehicle gets a flat on the front, substitute with the rear wheel. Then apply the Temp. on that empty rear hub. Less chance of damaging your engine.
It is better for the trans too. If you have an LSD it is a must. And if you have a 15" spare you have to put it on the rear of your R56 S.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
OceanMini,
If you remove the tool tray and the lower trunk liner/cover, would the spare sit in the hole (for the tool tray) allowing the seats to sit in the normal position? Or is there still insufficient space for the spare to stand up, and close the cargo cover and hatch?
Tks,
E

Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Summons
OceanMini,
If you remove the tool tray and the lower trunk liner/cover, would the spare sit in the hole (for the tool tray) allowing the seats to sit in the normal position? Or is there still insufficient space for the spare to stand up, and close the cargo cover and hatch?
Tks,
E
That may work too. You could put the jack in the tire and put some carpet in the well. You can angle the tire more (move the part that sits on the floor back) and move the seat back and still use the cover. How often do you use the back seat?

Last edited by OceanMini2; 06-07-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
I do use the back seat fairly often; on short local drives when I could get away with not having the spare with me. It's having to remove it on short notice and relatively frequently, that has me hesitating; I'd want to carry the spare on my commute (Summons is my DD).
There's no urgency yet - I still have the factory RFs - just thinking down the line...
E

Last edited by Summons; 06-07-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Grammar error - used to use
Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Summons
I do use the back seat fairly often; on short local drives when I could get away with not having the spare with me. It's having to remove it on short notice and relatively frequently, that has me hesitating; I'd want to carry the spare on my commute (Summons is my DD).
There's no urgency yet - I still have the factory RFs - just thinking down the line...
E
You can still use the back seat but your passenger will complain if you drive for more than hour. I am not sure that anyone could last that long with the seat in the normal setting. Try moving your seat forward and see what you think.