North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 NM Carbon Fiber Front Lip Splitter (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/225433-nm-carbon-fiber-front-lip-splitter.html)

user 837978240 02-26-2012 08:07 AM

NM Carbon Fiber Front Lip Splitter

Has anyone purchased this from NM Engineering ($499). If so, what is your experience with this from NM?

I'm interested but would like to see some feedback from those who have already installed this.

Dr.Fox 02-26-2012 09:33 AM

It's funny you posted this today...I ordered mine last week and it just got here a couple days ago. I'm looking to put it on today, so I'll post some pics. At first glance, like all other NM products, the quality looks amazing. Now to test the fit...

Douglas H 02-26-2012 10:33 AM

I am considering the NM front splitter vs. Group4 front splitter.

I like the cleaner look of the NM but wonder if adjustability of the Group4 splitter will be more important than looks.

At speed, I am also concerned about the NM with only 4 mounting points on the underside of the car.

Either way, both look great for street use.

Dr.Fox 02-26-2012 10:38 AM

Actually, the NM has 9 mounting points, so it should be secure. It's not adjustable, but there are air channels that should help with downforce.

Douglas H 02-26-2012 10:49 AM

My mistake. I read the installation instructions a few weeks ago.

Let me know how secure you feel the NM splitter is once mounted and what type of material the mounting hardware is being attached to on the car and how secure it feels to you.

sLy201 02-26-2012 01:33 PM

may i ask the stupid question as to how this is functional ?? ive seen these on MINIs and thought they were just for looks ... but as im reading i find out there is functionality behind this ?? sorry for the dumb question just dont know much about aerodynamics on this car.

Dr.Fox 02-26-2012 03:55 PM

Install

3 Attachment(s)
So, I installed the front lip today. Here are some pics throughout the process. I'll start off by saying that the lip is of incredible build quality and it shows in the fit. This is about the only piece of aftermarket bodywork to fit like it's supposed to without modification.
I show a pic of the screws on the bottom, as this was a point of concern for some of you - the lip is very secure once everything is buttoned up again.

In terms of the functionality, the scoops or vents made in the splitter serve to increase downforce on the front end of the car at high speed, but the way that stock plastic lip is behind these openings, I'm afraid it's going to dampen this effect. I think I'm going to trim this plastic piece a bit so the air can flow under the car.

Dr.Fox 02-26-2012 03:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some more...

Douglas H 02-26-2012 04:57 PM

I agree. NM produces outstanding quality products.

It looks and fits beautifully. Nice mod and thanks for the glowing review.

Can you tell any difference at 80 mph or higher in how the car tracks?

user 837978240 02-26-2012 05:36 PM

Thank you for posting the pics of the install. The fitment looks great!

Yes, it's on the high end of cost for front lip spoilers, but looks like the fit and finish are first class.

ngweibing 02-26-2012 06:05 PM

nice splitter

sLy201 02-26-2012 06:07 PM

that looks reaal nice ... like someone else said did you feel the difference ???

Dr.Fox 02-27-2012 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas H
Can you tell any difference at 80 mph or higher in how the car tracks?

Originally Posted by sLy201
like someone else said did you feel the difference ???

No, not really. However, I haven't had the car at jail speed yet :lol: I really got this more for the looks, although I think if you make sure the air ducts in the splitter are functional, this splitter will be more functional - as I mentioned above, the factory lower lip that supports the rubber under the chin of the bumper, blocks the air from the NM splitter's ducts. All you would have to do is trim the plastic with a Dremel and you're good. The only downside to this is when/if you take off the NM splitter, you have this short plastic stock lip hanging down. There may be a way to trim this in a way that it doesn't completely get destroyed should you take the splitter off...following me?

Originally Posted by G33KGUY
Thank you for posting the pics of the install. The fitment looks great!

Yes, it's on the high end of cost for front lip spoilers, but looks like the fit and finish are first class.

The fitment is amazing - just as it looks on the website. The trick is making sure you take the time to tape it up for a solid mock fit before you mark your holes. And even after I drilled my holes, I had to re-check and expand some of the holes for perfect alignment.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Dr.Fox 02-27-2012 06:16 PM

Just as a side note, those of you who have the facelifted front bumper (2011+ ??) should double check with NM for fitment. Because of how precisely this splitter is molded to the bumper, it has to be exactly the same.

user 837978240 02-27-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Fox (Post 3461391)
Just as a side note, those of you who have the facelifted front bumper (2011+ ??) should double check with NM for fitment. Because of how precisely this splitter is molded to the bumper, it has to be exactly the same.

Right on Dr. Fox. I was working with Detroit Tuned and per their conversation with NM Engineering, the 2011 front lip is more rounded, which means the current front lip spoiler will not be fully flush. Detroit Tuned also stated NM Engineering is working to release an updated front lip spoiler for the 2011+ models in April.

Needless to say I'm waiting until April. I have a 2011 MCS.

Dr.Fox 02-27-2012 06:30 PM

See, there you go! I remembered it was slightly different after looking at my dad's '11 front bumper/lip.

bugeye1031 06-14-2017 02:12 PM

Pulling this thread up in case anyone does a search - unfortunately, Neuspeed is no longer manufacturing this item, and they have none in stock. I checked with a few vendors that showed this product on their sites, but they don't have any either (most just drop shipped them from Neuspeed/NM Engineering). They told me that there just wasn't enough demand any longer. Too bad, it looks like a nice product.