R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How do I get the horn to chirp when I lock the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do I get the horn to chirp when I lock the doors?

Probably another dumb question but how do I do this? I looked in the manual and followed the instructions but when I get to the menu where that option is supposed to be, all I see are the option to lights flash or "Off".

Is this maybe a feature that comes with certain packages that I don't have or am I missing something?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Covered here starting at post #15........

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-feature.html

Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
Covered here starting at post #15........

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-feature.html

Thanks. So basically you'll only have that particular option if you have the alarm package. The manual isn't very clear on that.

Oh well.... on to my next dumb question.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was disappointed to find that I could not get the chirp to sound either! Now I have to sit there and watch that the doors actually lock properly before I leave my MINI's side.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
My wife say's I'm as deaf as a post, but when I hit the lock button I hear a distinctive klunk when the locks engage. It's loud enough, I don't need the horn to chirp. (All is good, I don't like the chirp anyway)

Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just look at my rear lights go up once when i want to make sure i press the lock on remote.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too miss this feature and considered buying the alarm package till I found out they quit prewiring the car for them and the cost went up to over 500$ for the install because of that(not counting cost of the alarm or the wiring kit). It requires ripping the dash almost completely out I was told since they have to run wires from the head unit into the steering column and out to the engine bay area. Sounded like a nightmare. According to my tech they even claim something like 10 hours of labor in their booklet and he said thats probably about 10-20 less than really needed. He practically begged me not to go ahead and do it.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
I know this is the Gen2 forum, but on the Gen1 MCS's the gas cap locks same as the doors.

So when the Gen1's first came out it was disscovered that to get the chirp you went to Radio Shack and you bought a little piezo electric chirper (I really can't recall what it's proper name is) thing.

You would then hook this little bugger up to the wires for the gas cap lock and when ever the locks locked you'd get the chirp.

There's a thread here on NAM from 4 or 5 years ago that tells how to do it.

Anyways, just a thought.

....Les

The following users liked this post:
Derrick A. Lundberg (07-21-2020)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
I went through the same thing you did, I was hoping there was a way of programming it, which the manual indicates, but doesn't specify that it's only with the added alarm package. I do miss the chirp though. A lot of people complain about it, for understandable reasons (obnoxious, unnecessary, etc). I had the remote on my old civic and always double clicked the "lock" button to hear the beep. Now that I'm without it, I find myself wondering whether or not I actually remembered to lock my MINI. Having that audio reinforcement is too embedded into my head. Although the locks in the MINI have a "clanking" noise to them, I tend not to be paying much attention when I'm locking my car, sort of a force of habit at this point, and a more distinct noise would help me remember better

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by moreorless
I know this is the Gen2 forum, but on the Gen1 MCS's the gas cap locks same as the doors.

So when the Gen1's first came out it was disscovered that to get the chirp you went to Radio Shack and you bought a little piezo electric chirper (I really can't recall what it's proper name is) thing.

You would then hook this little bugger up to the wires for the gas cap lock and when ever the locks locked you'd get the chirp.

There's a thread here on NAM from 4 or 5 years ago that tells how to do it.

Anyways, just a thought.

....Les
Here's your solution if you really want one. The solenoid that locks the gas cap is easily accessed thru the little removable panel on the left side of the boot.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the alarm option and yeah, you need it for the chirp.
I know many people debate the effectiveness of the alarm, but I love it.

Yes you get the chirp, and yes you get the alarm, but you also get a pulsating red slow above the tach that has a slow back and forth red light a la Knight Rider. C'mon, Knight Rider people! That alone is worth the option.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
RDemo2
2nd Gear
I was very surprised and disappointed to discover that I couldn't get mine to chirp either as I don't have an alarm.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Is there any way someone who does have the alarm can video tape what the "chirp" sounds like and post it? Now I'm getting really curious

Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
I went through the same thing you did, I was hoping there was a way of programming it, which the manual indicates, but doesn't specify that it's only with the added alarm package. I do miss the chirp though. A lot of people complain about it, for understandable reasons (obnoxious, unnecessary, etc). I had the remote on my old civic and always double clicked the "lock" button to hear the beep. Now that I'm without it, I find myself wondering whether or not I actually remembered to lock my MINI. Having that audio reinforcement is too embedded into my head. Although the locks in the MINI have a "clanking" noise to them, I tend not to be paying much attention when I'm locking my car, sort of a force of habit at this point, and a more distinct noise would help me remember better
ditto that! I too can hear the clunk of the locking mechanism, but sometimes if its loud outside, the clunking is hard to hear. If I cannot hear it, I feel compelled to sit there and unlock the doors so I can lock them again. A bit OCD, I know . . . You should see how many times I check the alarm clock at night!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Well then, that makes me happy I got the alarm package

Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by ammodave
Here's your solution if you really want one. The solenoid that locks the gas cap is easily accessed thru the little removable panel on the left side of the boot.
Would it be possible to post a pic of the solenoid as viewed from the removable boot panel?

Much appreciated...

Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
It is annoying that there's no audible confirmation that the car is locked. I'm still waiting for my MINI (with the alarm option), but I just sold my 335i and it didn't have an alarm and also didn't chirp (and that car cost well over $50,000). I don't understand why Toyota can make a Yaris chirp, but BMW can't seem to do it. After all, the car does have a horn whether you have the alarm or not. The clunking sound of the locks going down help, but only if you're standing right next to the car. If you walk a few feet away and then press the lock button on the remote, there's no chance you'll hear the clunk. Needless to say after three years of that, the alarm was a must have option for me on my MINI.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM
NoHoR56
2nd Gear
To each his own. I think the whole chirping car alarm thing is pretty obnoxious. And the whole point of the chirp is to announce to the world that you have an alarm NOT to let you know you've locked your doors. To be honest most higher end cars are not the ones targeted for theft. It's Camrys, Accords and SUVs. You don't need a car alarm in a car like a BMW or a MINI since most of the components are anti-theft to begin with. I haven't had an added car alarm since the early 90s. But people would still like to sell you one. As far as letting you know you've locked your car... I sympathize but do you really need to chirp your horn for everyone to hear to solve this problem? My neighbor gets home every night at 11:45 in a beat up old van which chirps when he locks it and wakes me up half the time. Not THAT'S annoying.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ammodave
But wouldn't that make a chirp when UNLOCKED as well as when lockedl?
If so it doesn't help to have the same sound for both. Might as well have no sound.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 AM
JimR56JCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NoHoR56
To each his own. I think the whole chirping car alarm thing is pretty obnoxious. And the whole point of the chirp is to announce to the world that you have an alarm NOT to let you know you've locked your doors. To be honest most higher end cars are not the ones targeted for theft. It's Camrys, Accords and SUVs. You don't need a car alarm in a car like a BMW or a MINI since most of the components are anti-theft to begin with. I haven't had an added car alarm since the early 90s. But people would still like to sell you one. As far as letting you know you've locked your car... I sympathize but do you really need to chirp your horn for everyone to hear to solve this problem? My neighbor gets home every night at 11:45 in a beat up old van which chirps when he locks it and wakes me up half the time. Not THAT'S annoying.
+1

Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by klricks
But wouldn't that make a chirp when UNLOCKED as well as when lockedl?
If so it doesn't help to have the same sound for both. Might as well have no sound.
If done properly, it will only chirp when you lock.

I did it yesterday and I'm pleased with the results.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by NoHoR56
Yes, if you have the OEM MINI Alarm system your H-O-R-N will beep ever-so-briefly.

However, the piezzo alarm isn't nearly as loud as the OEM Alarm beep.

PS: If you're so sensitive to sound when sleeping, perhaps you should invest in a box of foam earplugs for $3. You'd get a good night's sleep and wouldn't seem so cranky.

The following users liked this post:
TexasMiniMan (06-08-2021)
Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
I will do my best to post pics & soundclip later today after I wash & detail Schultze.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now we need a roll call thread for people who want annoying chirps when the doors lock. I still don't understand with the limited range of the remote you one could not hear the doors lock. If I am in range of the remote working, I hear the thunk.
-1 for door lock beeps or chirps IMO.

I am embarassed if I am with my grandmother and she locks her truck, always hits the button 2 extra times on her F-350 to hear the horn double tap. On a Ford one press of the fob is locked, 2 presses is locked then a beep to tell you "Hey stop pressing the darn button, I am locked already you fool", she goes for the 3rd for the "Ha Ha all you on-lookers, my owner locked me and now is pretending it is an alarm"

Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Now we need a roll call thread for people who want annoying chirps when the doors lock. I still don't understand with the limited range of the remote you one could not hear the doors lock. If I am in range of the remote working, I hear the thunk.
-1 for door lock beeps or chirps IMO.

I am embarassed if I am with my grandmother and she locks her truck, always hits the button 2 extra times on her F-350 to hear the horn double tap. On a Ford one press of the fob is locked, 2 presses is locked then a beep to tell you "Hey stop pressing the darn button, I am locked already you fool", she goes for the 3rd for the "Ha Ha all you on-lookers, my owner locked me and now is pretending it is an alarm"
I don't want the horn to honk but a small chirp would be OK. I have lights set to flash when locking and that's all I really need.
My remote works from a long way away....... maybe 100' +. I have comfort access fob so don't know if that makes a difference?

Quick Reply: R56 How do I get the horn to chirp when I lock the doors?