R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 August MINI sales down 13.4% from Aug '09; YTD sales down 3.8% from YTD '0909

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
August MINI sales down 13.4% from Aug '09; YTD sales down 3.8% from YTD '0909

BMW of North America, Inc. (source)
BMW: 19,540 (08/10) ... 19,232 (08/09) ... +1.6%
BMW: 139,236 (2010 CYTD) ... 129,176 (2009 CYTD) ... +7.8%

MINI: 4,425 (08/10) ... 5,111 (08/09) ... -13.4%
MINI: 29,704 (2010 CYTD) ... 30,868 (2009 CYTD) ... -3.8%

Rolls Royce: 65 (08/10) ... 24 (08/09) ... +170.8%
Rolls Royce: 332 (2010 CYTD) ... 235 (2009 CYTD) ... +41.3%

That said, I would expect MINI's numbers for the year to come around a bit once the refreshed 2011s start hitting the road.

edit: oh no! ... headline error.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Overall US auto sales are down 21% year over year:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/01/news...ales/index.htm

But business is booming at Rolls Royce!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm actually glad MINI's is down. Too many of the wrong people are buying MINI Coopers, meaning people that just want to save on gas and do little with having fun.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
I'm actually glad MINI's is down. Too many of the wrong people are buying MINI Coopers, meaning people that just want to save on gas and do little with having fun.
That, to me, is a very unfair assessment and reeks of elitist attitude. Who is to say who is the "wrong kind" of person to buy a particular car? People buy cars for all kinds of reasons, including fuel economy savings. In fact, we'd probably be a lot better off if most people considered that above other things when deciding on a car. Hopefully your comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I might be one of the wrong ones. Here goes my long story that transpired last week.

I wanted something to get good gas mileage and for some reason was hooked on the old Blue Oval. I had a Ranger, then a F-150 and loved them both but commuting in town traffic 30 miles each way gets old in a 6500lb truck that gets 13.5 mpg. I looked at a brand new focus for 20k sticker (-3k rebates, etc) and was thinking hey they are sporty in the SES trim and I might like it. I went to the dealership and saw the car and before I sat in it, I knew it was not for me.

We recently bought a used Mazda CX-7 (2.3turbo) and my wife loves it, fun to drive and fairly sporty. But I don't want to have 2 of them in the driveway, plus it gets like 20mpg in town...not good enough to justify the cost of a vehicle change fore the mpg. They had a Mazda 3 hatch I was going to come back and look at on Saturday for a test drive, but it was Thursday so I could wait. On the way home, I took the long way and popped into the local MINI dealer because I saw online they had a 2010 focus with every option for about 5-6k less than new and only 5k miles on it. Maybe I could like the focus....still nope.

Well we were walking and on the used portion of the lot I saw a 2009 MCSa DS/B and instantly was intrigued. Being a big guy (6'-6" 385lb) I knew I would never fit, but still for S's and G's I push the seal all the way back, cranked it down all of the way and tilted the wheel all of the way up and flopped in....ohhh niceee. I am thinking to myself, no way could I afford this, nor fit, but I closed the door and thought it was a little snug, but no more than any other econo car I had been in lately.

So we inquired about the car and realized it was priced right under 21k and it was beginning to look out of my price range, but for the car it was a great buy. The MA had advised that a Justa in a color my wife liked (Horizon Blue) was the same price and decent financing and the $1250 rebate. Well we told him we would be back tomarrow as it was getting lat and he would pull up info on a few new cars to match our specs/price and compare to used.

We arrived the next day, drove a Justa and knew it was not enough, good handling but not fun enough to pull out in traffic for me. The in all fairness we drove the S and it was amazing. I grin while typing this to remember the first time I drove that MCS. Without sound cheesy or silly, I had to have it. I normally drive 20-30k a year and liked driving, but I had forgot what it was like to feel alive and really DRIVE. Feel and hear the car, cut corners and push the car sideways and know there is more to go. Well we had brought my truck in that night to make the deal on Friday night and get it appraised. I knew I had a few things to uninstall and they agree it would be fin to make the paperwork happen on Saturday and have the car all prepped up. I have been driving this car now for almsot a week and cannot tell you how much fun it is and how enjoyable my 60 miles round trip is everyday. People at work cannot beleive I made the trade but a few are already interested in getting a MINI but hadn't seen or been in one yet. This car will always be a staple in our driveway, no matter how many vehicles we might acquire in our life. The MINI bug has bitten and its venom now courses through my veins as I type this, waiting for 3:30 to get out of work and drive it back home. Now the wife wants to get rid of her semi-new car (2008 bough this year in April, lol).

So moral of the story, I might not be the typical MINI owner who wanted a quick and snappy car, but I am glad I found it and now know I was somewhat lost for a few years wondering what it would truly be like to motor around in style. I now know the feeling and love it.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RVExotics
That, to me, is a very unfair assessment and reeks of elitist attitude. Who is to say who is the "wrong kind" of person to buy a particular car? People buy cars for all kinds of reasons, including fuel economy savings. In fact, we'd probably be a lot better off if most people considered that above other things when deciding on a car. Hopefully your comment was tongue-in-cheek.
Yea i was kidding a little bit. However, I've seen a lot of new MINI owners popping up around my parts that you try to talk to at meet ups and they just don't get "the wave" or the hyper-MINI culture. Maybe i'm just a little too demanding

Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM
thxultra
1st Gear
Honestly gas milage was a factor for me as well. I must say the fun factor was a big part also. I liked that the mini was still fun to drive and saved on gas. How many other cars that get 30mpg in the city can take a turn like a mini??? Most cars that are good on gas are soooooo broning Not counting the Tesla, but that is a bit out of my price range Oh ya and I love the mini culture too

Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
They obviously missed one. I bought mine at closing time (8:00pm) on the 31st. That throws off all their silly numbers.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
We arrived the next day, drove a Justa and knew it was not enough, good handling but not fun enough to pull out in traffic for me. The in all fairness we drove the S and it was amazing. I grin while typing this to remember the first time I drove that MCS. Without sound cheesy or silly, I had to have it. I normally drive 20-30k a year and liked driving, but I had forgot what it was like to feel alive and really DRIVE. Feel and hear the car, cut corners and push the car sideways and know there is more to go. Well we had brought my truck in that night to make the deal on Friday night and get it appraised. I knew I had a few things to uninstall and they agree it would be fin to make the paperwork happen on Saturday and have the car all prepped up. I have been driving this car now for almsot a week and cannot tell you how much fun it is and how enjoyable my 60 miles round trip is everyday. People at work cannot beleive I made the trade but a few are already interested in getting a MINI but hadn't seen or been in one yet. This car will always be a staple in our driveway, no matter how many vehicles we might acquire in our life. The MINI bug has bitten and its venom now courses through my veins as I type this, waiting for 3:30 to get out of work and drive it back home. Now the wife wants to get rid of her semi-new car (2008 bough this year in April, lol).
After reading this paragraph I think you just might be OK

Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by torobud
After reading this paragraph I think you just might be OK

Thanks. I typed it as it flowed into my head and now rereading it it sounds a bit over the top, but I truly love this car and cannot stop talking about it. I just want to drive.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
So moral of the story, I might not be the typical MINI owner who wanted a quick and snappy car, but I am glad I found it and now know I was somewhat lost for a few years wondering what it would truly be like to motor around in style. I now know the feeling and love it.
Sounds like "our kind" of people, just make sure you wave! I know I'm an ugly SOB but it gets old when I keep throwing the wave out there and never get a response (those of you in Central VA know who you are).

But I'm also thinking that if you are on NAM, you are already way above someone that gets a MINI because its "cute".

************ DISCLAIMER ************

The above statements represent my extremely
humble opinion and should never be taken
seriously (just ask my wife!).

************ DISCLAIMER ************

Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Well I have waved a few times and people just stare at me. Do we have a nicely animated video on MINI's site to show a proper MINI greeting. They have videos for everything else it seems. Also, any sort of NAM sticker or insignia to show off so others know you are also a part of it to to endorse it to fellow MINI drivers who are unaware?

I have also downloaded the app on my iPhone, MINI Link, but no body shows up on during my daily commute. I will keep trying though.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if anyone said something about it, but MINI reported that sales are "down" because last year "cash for clunkers" unnaturally boosted sales for that year. But if you weren't considering those sales last year, their overall sales would have went up this year.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Slartibartfast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
Not sure if anyone said something about it, but MINI reported that sales are "down" because last year "cash for clunkers" unnaturally boosted sales for that year. But if you weren't considering those sales last year, their overall sales would have went up this year.
IIRC, that was the explanation given last month when the July numbs were posted.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, as they continue to push the prices up every year I think they will continue to see their numbers erode. Introducing new models like the Countryman will give them some positive spikes in the numbers, but the prices will eventually take them out of range for a lot of people...

I know they have pushed past my comfort level, and I've bought two - an '03 JCW and my '09 Clubby. I doubt I'll be able to buy another new one - and I would love to replace the wife's Audi allroad with a Countryman, but equipped similar to the Audi I can see it costing almost $40K - and there's no way I can or would pay that much for any MINI.....

It makes me sad in a way, as the wife and I were noting all the fun things we've done in our MINIs that we never would have done had we bought something else.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
thxultra
1st Gear
Well I have waved a few times and people just stare at me. Do we have a nicely animated video on MINI's site to show a proper MINI greeting. They have videos for everything else it seems. Also, any sort of NAM sticker or insignia to show off so others know you are also a part of it to to endorse it to fellow MINI drivers who are unaware?

I have also downloaded the app on my iPhone, MINI Link, but no body shows up on during my daily commute. I will keep trying though.
Ya running the mini link here also and never see any other mini's :( so sad. At least get the occasional wave though. Car is great though. I'm with the guy above waiting for the work ay to be over s I can drive mine

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The MINI bug has bitten and its venom now courses through my veins as I type this, waiting for 3:30 to get out of work and drive it back home. Now the wife wants to get rid of her semi-new car (2008 bough this year in April, lol).

That's about what happened with me 3+ years ago. The print advertising is what got me interested. I didn't even know anyone what had one. I went to Scottsdale on day when they had a "rally" at the dealership and a bunch of people parked their cars to look at. Scheduled a test drive the next day, and left the Jeep GC there as a trade. What I like is the quick steering, the wheels on the corners, and the light weight. And the looks. I don't think you could pay me to drive an F-150 now. My wife wanted a new car last month and drove a Honda Ridgeline. I was like noooooo! I offered to get her a used 2009 factory JCW Clubman (chocolate brown, nice), but she said no. I really wanted that car in my garage. But she went Honda Element (orange, wives go with the colors). That's fine, it was 7 grand cheaper! But I think I'll go JCW next, in a year or 2.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
fishbert
6th Gear

I was driving down from Mt. Lemmon here in southern Arizona and saw a bright red classic mini coming the other way. It was either a convertible or had a sun roof. I remember this much because as we were approaching each other, the guy sticks one arm out the window and one out the roof, waving each frantic with excitement. It was awesome.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
... But I think I'll go JCW next, in a year or 2.
What I'm hearing is that the new 2011 MCS is not very far from the unchanged JCW. Motoring File was even guessing that the JCW tuning kit would go away (they guessed wrong, apparently) so that the MCS doesn't start to eat the JCW's lunch.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/08/...cw-engine-kit/

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
IIRC, that was the explanation given last month when the July numbs were posted.

You are correct, but the program ran, also IIRC, until the second week of August in '09

Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear

I wish someone would make an app like that for us Blackberry users! I absolutely won't use an IPhone, IPad, IPod, IWhatever just because I don't agree with the way that Apple wants to restrict everything and how they implement their Digital Rights. The IPod store is really great and it is upsetting that some of the artists I really like will only release stuff to that online venue. But a man has got to have principles (but I still wish there was something out there supported as well as IPod)!