R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Seriously??? Not again.... dealer damaged my car again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously??? Not again.... dealer damaged my car again.

Well, I just got back from my vacation. (took a cruise again to the Bahamas... will NOT do that again but that is a different story)

I made an appt with the dealer a few weeks ago since I knew I was leaving on vacation last Friday. I dropped the car off early even though the appt was on Monday.

They were to replace the waterpump, find the rattle in the dash and if time permits, check out the rattle in the pass door. (I said it was in the linkage for the door lock ****)

I arrived back in port this morning and drove back to NC. When I got back, I stopped at the dealership expecting to pick up my car.

Silly me... actually thinking it would be ready.

I was told that they started the waterpump replacement I think yesterday and couldn't find the rattle in the dash (even though I can duplicate it EVERY time by driving 2000-2300 rpms in ANY gear)

Apparently in an attempt to repair the rattle in the door, they had to adjust the door glass and by doing so, the door glass shattered.

Being in the bodyshop business, I know all too well about certain parts that are a PIA to adjust or meant to be removed one time because they'll break removing or installing them.

I was told that about every tech there has broken the glass making the same adjustments.

True or not, I'm more disappointed that AGAIN something has been damaged on my car. I know it wasn't intentional, I'm sure they were trying to be careful but the bottom line is, I have to have something replaced because it was broken.

I'm sure many of you remember my problem with the same dealership when I took my last mini in for a windshield replacement and they scratched my fender, cut my hood molding, cut my mirror rubber gasket and when I painted the fender and took the car back for them to replace the mirror, they dented the door.

I'm also sure many of you know how freakin' **** I am about my mini so to say that I'm disappointed and pissed is an understatement.

Like I said, I know it wasn't intentional and they're going to replace it but really, I would have rather lived with the rattle.

Oh well... I guess when I go into work tomorrow, I'll see what other "surprises" I have waiting.

Mark

Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Sucks to hear this sort of thing is happening to you (again)... I think you need a new dealer

Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, a new dealer or just go work for them for the day and get it done right.

Sorry to hear you having issues again, but the Bahamas in July? Why? Maybe in late October or November!

Take care Mark.

Don

Old 07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
but the Bahamas in July? Why? Maybe in late October or November!

Don
Hey Don, I agree... not the time of year I'd normally want to go there but it was just as hot here in NC as it was there.

Besides, the girls are off school and it limits the time of year we get to go.

Mark

Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure it's got to be tough in the Carolinas as there aren't many dealerships around. Hopefully you can find another shop since this dealer seems to do more harm than good.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
I'm sure it's got to be tough in the Carolinas as there aren't many dealerships around. Hopefully you can find another shop since this dealer seems to do more harm than good.
You're right, there's not but a couple of choices but fortunately there is a new SA working there and she's been GREAT.

Like I said, it wasn't intentional but the end result is the same... I'm stuck with a damaged vehicle.

At least they're going to fix it...

Mark

Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Come on Mark...you **** about your mini....I just can't imagine what you are talking about......

Seriously though...really sorry to hear about the damage AGAIN. Hopefully they get everything repaired as good as new or better.

Welcome back!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by futuremini
Come on Mark...you **** about your mini....I just can't imagine what you are talking about......
You're right... I'm not anywhere **** as the rest of YOU guys.

Mark

Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol is it bad that i detail spray during breaks at work? Your mini is still legitimately awesome!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...I do believe you are our founding father and president......
The rest of us are just trying to live up to your high standards.

Originally Posted by orangecrush
You're right... I'm not anywhere **** as the rest of YOU guys.

Mark

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Mark;

It happens to everyone-- I cringe taking my car into dealerships for service. Most of the service is awesome though-- I really like the staff at the dealership I go to. There is always this nagging fear though that something little will happen that will make me look like a whiney b*tch if I complain about it-- like a door ding, or a scratch somewhere. I'd hate to be put in that position of having to complain about something that is minor to them, but major to me. I feel your pain!

When I graduated from University and got my first job, I purchased a new VW Jetta TDI. That same winter I had to take it back to the dealership to have a part replaced. They had to back order the part-- my car was sitting there for about 6 weeks outside in their parking lot. From snow and ice forming on it, and melting and sliding around... it was VERY scratched. The hood looked like someone had dragged a barn cat across it.

I hope everything works out well with your MINI. It is good to have high standards!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
OC, I really feel for you because you have my kind of luck. It seems like I can't get my MINI returned to me from some type of service without something to complain about. Out of the several stories I have, the last one was the most minor. They washed it for me after a service and I saw that my front license plate was bent to heck. That in itself is not really big but knowing that they must be running it through a brush carwash got me po'ed.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
minMINI
1st Gear
I got my MCS back today. It sounds better than ever and everything feels right! The dealership only changed the tensioner, but they promised that it would solve the problem with the terrible rattling "stones in bucket" noise. They also promised that the engine wasn't damaged at all. The tow-truck, the rental Cooper and the work/parts expenses were covered by BMW/Mini.
I'm happy!
I spoke too soon..
I drove out of my mothers garage after having polished my precious Mini. I noticed that there was some oil dripping from under the engine. .
The BMW/MINI dealer that changed the timing tensioner, damaged a gasket. They where suppose to CHECK the engine for damage NOT damage it. Buhu

Old 08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about the repeat and I know you're grateful they're taking care of it. My buddy took his car in (to the local dealer) and they hit something and scratched up the trim around the front DS fog light. Next time he took it in they scratched one of his wheels (2-days on the car). Worst part is the SA jumped in his face and told him to "prove that it happened here". NOT a smart move on his part...but he had a point. Didn't have video of them doing it. A-holes!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Well, my door glass came in Monday and they didn't have time to install it. It's now the end of the day Tuesday and it's still not done.

You'd think since they fukked my car up, they'd make a liiittle bit of an effort to GET MY CAR BACK!!!!!!

Pisses me off....

Mark

Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM
old81
M6
Perhaps, they do not want your business.

How close is that other dealer? Do they have a good service department?

Always a hard decision I imagine to what MINI you give preference, that or the scheduler at the dealer is a dunce.

I understand Bahamas during the summer for the kids. It is good you went for it. We used to do Maui for the same reason.

Don

Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Perhaps, they do not want your business.

How close is that other dealer? Do they have a good service department?

Always a hard decision I imagine to what MINI you give preference, that or the scheduler at the dealer is a dunce.

I understand Bahamas during the summer for the kids. It is good you went for it. We used to do Maui for the same reason.

Don
The other dealer is about an hour and a half away.

The dealership I really like is in Charleston, SC which is about 3-4 hours from me. I used to drive there for more major stuff.

Mark

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
OC, I really feel for you because you have my kind of luck. It seems like I can't get my MINI returned to me from some type of service without something to complain about. Out of the several stories I have, the last one was the most minor. They washed it for me after a service and I saw that my front license plate was bent to heck. That in itself is not really big but knowing that they must be running it through a brush carwash got me po'ed.
I had this exact same thing happen to me. You would think they would have told us to take off the license plate bracket. And off course they did not notice anything had happened when they gave me back my car .

Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I was talking to a lady who was picking up her JCW after some type of service. I noticed that her front license plate frame was damaged and she told me that it had to have happened during the dealer wash. My dealer has it out for front license plates for some reason. At least it wasn't as bad as dings on my hood after having side scuttles and mirror caps added at Scottsdale MINI.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I was talking to a lady who was picking up her JCW after some type of service. I noticed that her front license plate frame was damaged and she told me that it had to have happened during the dealer wash. My dealer has it out for front license plates for some reason. At least it wasn't as bad as dings on my hood after having side scuttles and mirror caps added at Scottsdale MINI.

That's why when you pull up my ticket, it has DO NOT WASH written as a customer request.

I can see it now... "no sir, we have no idea how your paint became scratched"

I'll wash my own damn car...

Mark

Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
That's why when you pull up my ticket, it has DO NOT WASH written as a customer request.

I can see it now... "no sir, we have no idea how your paint became scratched"

I'll wash my own damn car...

Mark
Same here. My SA just puts "NO WASH" on the ticket without asking anymore. I stopped this as soon as I realized it was a machine wash on day one. Back when I owned a Saturn, I loved for them to wash it, because it was always by hand, inside and out. Now if Saturn can do that why not MINI?

Jim

Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Not sure if I'm taking a chance but I just received a call today from the dealership. Apparently Mini takes the states is this weekend and they're having a Friday "kick-off".

They want some "hot" looking minis <blushing> lol, and wanted to know if they could use my mini. They will do a complete in and out detail.

So am I taking a chance having them detail my car???

BTW, it's Wednesday and they said hopefully I'll have my car back today or tomorrow.

Mark

Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Not sure if I'm taking a chance but I just received a call today from the dealership. Apparently Mini takes the states is this weekend and they're having a Friday "kick-off".

They want some "hot" looking minis <blushing> lol, and wanted to know if they could use my mini. They will do a complete in and out detail.

So am I taking a chance having them detail my car???

BTW, it's Wednesday and they said hopefully I'll have my car back today or tomorrow.

Mark
Hummmm. Does "Detail inside and out" mean running it through their aumomatic car wash with the window still missing?

Jim

Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
Hummmm. Does "Detail inside and out" mean running it through their aumomatic car wash with the window still missing?

Jim

Probably...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: R56 Seriously??? Not again.... dealer damaged my car again.