R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Beware: This is what MINI USA thinks about our complaints about engines knocking!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:49 PM
ocso1606
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That last video is crazy!!! I only get that knocking sound when it is below 30 degrees out and it only lasts a min or so.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 PM
nycminilaw
1st Gear
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.
I think you guys need to understand a few things - first - this car has been in for engine troubles on numerous occasions. Several different pieces have been replaced along the way. On many occasions, Manhattan MINI told me the car was fine, only for me to return and for them to acknowledge a major problem or two. Anyone who makes multiple trips to a dealer knows how infuriating this can be. Finally, I could take it no more; I had gone through several levels of MINI customer service - from the dealership, up to the attorneys who work for BMW NA. All sympathized, agreed that something should be done, and came back with nothing. This all over a 5 month period of phone calls and unreturned messages. That is why a filed the lemon law suit here in New York. What was so astonishing, was that at the hearing, BMW NA's own engineer listened to both the videos before and after the timing belt service and testified that everything was fine. The very same videos I posted, and the very same videos that caused them to spend thousands on major repairs.

I am not after a payday, but for a car that is still obviously with problems, I would like to be made whole. I don't think that's too much to ask. Clearly I cant sell this car to anyone in good conscious and MINI won't buy it back. What would you do in this position? Sell it to carcash or carmax for a loss? Then it just gets passed to the next guy - how is that fair? I don't think I'm evil or asking too much, and I really thought, considering all of the problems with timing chains on these cars, you guys would be glad to see someone not back down from BMW NA.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 PM
nycminilaw
1st Gear
SIM 11-02-07

Here's a photo of the parts that were replaced when they did the timing chain repair - note SIM 11-02-07.

Attached Thumbnails Beware: This is what MINI USA thinks about our complaints about engines knocking!-photo.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010, 06:24 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There have been a number of threads concerning the "knocking" on cold start up, there seem to be two completely different scenarios - one is a knock, the other is a chain dragging on the insides of a metal box sound. I don't believe they are related.

The chain sound is fixed by changing the chain tensioner, and more if you've had some wear from it being loose for long enough time.

The other is a knock that has not been shown to do any damage. That doesn't mean conclusively that it doesn't......

Chain tensioners OTOH if not fixed will result in a destroyed engine. That's what they fixed on your car......

So if I understand what you wrote, they fixed the one problem but not the other, and that's what you're upset or concerned about.

Still interested in hearing the outcome of your lawsuit.

I don't care to "stand up to" MINI because when I approached them with a chain tensioner noise, they fixed it immediately, no questions asked, and I haven't had any problem with it since - 15K miles on now.

If your dealer didn't do the same, then it seems to me your problem isn't with MINI, it's with the dealer.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIdave
If your dealer didn't do the same, then it seems to me your problem isn't with MINI, it's with the dealer.

Which brings me to something I was thinking earlier. I'm sure he's tried about every avenue to get this repaired but what about a better dealer?

Of course, at this point, it may too late and a red flag may show up as soon as he pulls in.

I mention this simply because from personal experience, I know that what one dealer denies, another sees a problem.

Still hope you get some satisfaction...

Mark

Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Xeraux

Also, I'm always suspicious of people who sign up to a forum and their first post something like this. Notice the O.P. has only posted in three threads and each are related to this single topic? Heck, even his username is related to this topic.
Same thought here. I have notice this on some motorcycle forums. I understand how a person posts about a problem. Like the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the most grease. But it is interesting when it's their first post.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Very hard for me to tell from the video whether it is just normal DI knocking or something else.
Correctly functioning DI doesnt knock, it ticks, just like a loud clock. This is why it is better to record the much much louder tensioner noise inside the car, glovebox open, than outside, hood up.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 AM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lizarious
Wow. I just joined this site after test driving a mini today. I was going to buy it, but now I am not so sure. Maybe I should get a VW?
Something smells fishy here....
This thread seems....um......"questionable".

Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lizarious
Wow. I just joined this site after test driving a mini today. I was going to buy it, but now I am not so sure. Maybe I should get a VW?
Dont torture yourself by buying VW. get a base Cooper. Unlike the S's, they have no issues with the timing assembly

Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Dont torture yourself by buying VW. get a base Cooper. Unlike the S's, they have no issues with the timing assembly
I beg to differ, my VW has been much better to me so far

Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AustinS
Same thought here. I have notice this on some motorcycle forums. I understand how a person posts about a problem. Like the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the most grease. But it is interesting when it's their first post.
I think I know the forum.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
We always stand aware of these questions about posters:
1. Motivation
2. Truthfulness
3. Accuracy
4. Completeness
5. Perspective

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
I beg to differ, my VW has been much better to me so far
Then you haven't owned it long enough.

God...I will never buy another VW.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:55 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Before a lynch mob starts, just remember that though he happens to be a lawyer, he is a Mini owner and just because he's a Mini owner doesn't mean he frequents the boards.

Many people don't sign up or register on a forum until they have a need or question.

Just because they are "car" people doesn't mean they hang out on the forums.

I personally think, lawyer or not, his complaints against Mini are justified and if he has the means and knowledge to go after them, then by all means, I think he should.

Anyway, I guess my point is not to judge him because of his first post, I think he has legit complaints and is doing what any one of us would do if we were in his shoes.

Mark

Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin

I had to laugh because when I read how happy he was, I had to go back and read what type of vehicle it was....lol.

Glad it's workin' for him but.....

Mark

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
mellanor
2nd Gear
I agree with OC - I smell nothing fishy here, and we have all heard stories about godawful dealership "service" to know it's hardly unique. Sure, some of you have been treated like the Pope by your dealer, but others had more of a convict-style encounter. If I had been treated like this by the dealer, believe me that they would be seeing me in court under the same law.

Don't read intentions into posts - even if it is a first post. NAM is not exactly required reading for MINI owners folks. Try to keep an open mind.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Stop the hatin on VW's. My new MINI is my first non-VW purchase since 1999 and I can only hope its going to be as solid and trouble free as my VWs and Audis have been/currently are over the years.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jujucooper
Stop the hatin on VW's. My new MINI is my first non-VW purchase since 1999 and I can only hope its going to be as solid and trouble free as my VWs and Audis have been/currently are over the years.
VW's and Audis have been "trouble free... over the years"?

How old are you?

Mid-20s?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
VW's and Audis have been "trouble free... over the years"?

How old are you?

Mid-20s?

Mid-20's? If only! More like mid-30's. And smart enough not to drink the hatorade about VW. Lets face it, one of the main reasons people buy MINI's is because VW no longer sells their small cars in the U.S. Not knocking my MINI, I love it obviously. But the people hating on VW's are seriously uninformed.

As a guy in my mid-30's, with a certain level of maturity, I just don't get what the point of bashing other people's choices is. We all love our MINI's, but to insult people or their choices is lame and common. Especially on the internet...

Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
minilawyer
Neutral
Having also experienced significant problems with my dealer on the West Coast I can sympathize. After everything I went through, this will be my last MINI and threads like this only support that sentiment. And - as a lawyer as well, I can tell you that people lie on the stand to protect their own interests all the time.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jujucooper
Mid-20's? If only! More like mid-30's. And smart enough not to drink the hatorade about VW. Lets face it, one of the main reasons people buy MINI's is because VW no longer sells their small cars in the U.S. Not knocking my MINI, I love it obviously. But the people hating on VW's are seriously uninformed.

As a guy in my mid-30's, with a certain level of maturity, I just don't get what the point of bashing other people's choices is. We all love our MINI's, but to insult people or their choices is lame and common. Especially on the internet...
Nobody's bashing your choice of vehicle. Drive whatcha like.

What we're chuckling at is your claim of VWs and Audis being "trouble free".

I've got a buddy who's as big a VW fan as you'll ever find. The VW logo's tattooed inside his forearm. He's a serious tuner, but there's no way in hell he'd claim they're "trouble free". But... He didn't mind because he enjoyed working on them.

Last edited by Xeraux; 05-17-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin

I've owned 2 VWs prior to this one and they were both problem free.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minilawyer
Having also experienced significant problems with my dealer on the West Coast I can sympathize. After everything I went through, this will be my last MINI and threads like this only support that sentiment. And - as a lawyer as well, I can tell you that people lie on the stand to protect their own interests all the time.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1969 VW Beetle (new) sold in 1970
1984 VW Rabbit
1986 VW Cabriolet (new) sold in 1991
2000 VW Passat GLX 4-motion (new) sold in 2010

The Passat had a leaking valve cover replaced under warranty.

1970 BMW 1600 (new) sold in 1978
1972 BMW 2800CS
1989 BMW 325i
1992 BMW 525i (new) sold in 1998

The 525i had a wavy windshield replaced under warranty.

The MINI reliability story told in this forum is an embarrassment.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Nobody's bashing your choice of vehicle. Drive whatcha like.

What we're chuckling at is your claim of VWs and Audis being "trouble free".

I've got a buddy who's as big a VW fan as you'll ever find. The VW logo's tattooed inside his forearm. He's a serious tuner, but there's no way in hell he'd claim they're "trouble free". But... He didn't mind because he enjoyed working on them.
Based on all sources, "trouble-free" with regard to VW is 100% accurate when compared to MINI, unfortunately for all of us. :(

Quick Reply: R56 Beware: This is what MINI USA thinks about our complaints about engines knocking!