North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 $132 Tire Rotation Quote (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/171026-132-tire-rotation-quote.html)

Benibiker 06-20-2009 07:20 PM

$132 Tire Rotation Quote

I was downtown by my Mini dealer and decided to stop by and ask if the tire rotations were covered under the "36,000 mile/36 month free maintenance" coverage. I was told no but they would be happy to rotate my tires for $132! That's crazy, I can get it done at Sears for $20 and better yet I'll just do it myself.......... :mad:

thevelourfog 06-20-2009 08:06 PM

I think it's free at America's Tire Center/Discount tire, give them a call. I know for sure it's free if you buy your tires there.

Benibiker 06-20-2009 08:12 PM

Yeah, Sears does them for free too if you buy your tires from there.

rrcaniglia 06-20-2009 08:14 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: $132 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Longboard110 06-20-2009 08:19 PM

tell them to get ****ed

dpcompt 06-20-2009 08:40 PM

rotation by dealor

Originally Posted by Benibiker (Post 2800944)
I was downtown by my Mini dealer and decided to stop by and ask if the tire rotations were covered under the "36 mile/36 month free maintenance" coverage. I was told no but they would be happy to rotate my tires for $132! That's crazy, I can get it done at Sears for $20 and better yet I'll just do it myself.......... :mad:

your example is just another reason that my current mini might be my last. the bmw disdain for their customers filters down to minis. ie. cold start, etc.
i really enjoy driving my mini, but under the current circumstances( bmw's handling of waranty issues), my next car will not be any car built by bmw.:sad:

rrcaniglia 06-20-2009 08:59 PM

Come on, guys.

Obviously, this particular shop is intentionally discouraging this type of work. It's a business decision. And, it's not like you can't get it done somewhere else. I'd just make sure to bring my torque wrench.

Or, invest in a floor jack and four stands. Not very expensive for a lifetime of cheap and easy rotations.

blackjackmark 06-20-2009 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by rrcaniglia (Post 2801019)
Come on, guys.

Obviously, this particular shop is intentionally discouraging this type of work. It's a business decision.

I might think the same thing, but in my case, I didn't ask...the SA suggested it. I asked "how much" and he quoted $115! I wonder how many people he's asked who did NOT ask "how much" and got the shock of their lives when they picked up the car!

Benibiker 06-20-2009 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by dpcompt (Post 2801002)
your example is just another reason that my current mini might be my last. the bmw disdain for their customers filters down to minis. ie. cold start, etc.
i really enjoy driving my mini, but under the current circumstances( bmw's handling of warranty issues), my next car will not be any car built by bmw.:sad:

Definitely makes me think twice about keeping my Mini after the warranty expires.

DangerMan 06-20-2009 11:46 PM

When I brought my Mini in for its first service this month, my SA said that tire rotation on my Mini was not recommended. Go figure.

DjR53 06-20-2009 11:49 PM

lol thats nothing compared to the 300$ 4 wheel alignment i was quoted :lol:

rrcaniglia 06-21-2009 05:58 AM

I'm willing to give the recommending SA the benefit of the doubt. I choose not to think he/she is a crook, but rather is either a fool or simply clueless.

What we haven't considered is that the $132 may have contained something more than twenty lug nuts and extended to--oh, perhaps a visual inspection of hose lines, wheel wells, studs...:lol:

dbhouston 06-21-2009 06:00 AM

The first time, I had my MINI in for a warranty issue and they rotated the tires for $20. Ever since, I stop by Discount Tire every 5K miles and they do it for free, regardless of where you bought the tires. They know about customer relations and loyalty. Guess where I'll buy my replacement tires.

sequence 06-21-2009 06:24 AM

what the MINI dealers dont tell U is that if U live in a state with Discount Tire U can motor in with yr new car in the first 200 miles or so and purchase full road hazard and replacement warranties, mine were about $21/tire.

basil49 06-21-2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by DangerMan (Post 2801080)
When I brought my Mini in for its first service this month, my SA said that tire rotation on my Mini was not recommended. Go figure.

Same for me, which puzzled me ... but the RFs are gone and I'm running Bridgestones now; free rotations at any Firestone store.

Gluhwein 06-21-2009 07:06 AM

And doesn't a gallon of milk go for something like $5 in Hawaii too? Last time I was there gas was almost a buck a gallon more than it was in PA. It's not a cheap place to live.

It comes with the territory.

budoboy 06-21-2009 07:57 AM

Wow, I hope this isn't typical of Mini dealers. I'm waiting on a Clubman S right now and all I read about is problems with these cars.

I've always owned cheap American cars and hardly ever had any of the problems I hear about on this forum. You'd think if you pay a premium price for a compact car at least you'd have reliability and good service from the dealers.

Rant over.

surfblue 06-21-2009 08:14 AM

NAMES PLEASE

I was downtown by my Mini dealer and decided to stop by and ask if the tire rotations were covered under the "36,000 mile/36 month free maintenance" coverage. I was told no but they would be happy to rotate my tires for $132! That's crazy, I can get it done at Sears for $20 and better yet I'll just do it myself.......... :mad:

Please NAME that dealership and the person who said that. PLEASE. Those people deserve a boycott. Listen, Discount Tire will do it for FREE and they will torque to proper spec and check your tire pressures. Just give the details when you show up. They do ours on all our cars and it takes MINUTES most of the time. I did my first rotation myself but when I found out about this service, I've used it ever since. Also, when you need them, they'll make you a fair deal on new tires.

NCLE 06-21-2009 08:54 AM

I feel your pain, Mini of Hawaii tried to do the same to me too when I brought my car in for its scheduled maintenance, they also tried to sell me fuel injector cleaning and air box cleaning because the car would run rough when it was cold, had to convince them that car is under warranty and should not run rough when cold and I should not be charged for the fix. I guess they try to make back the money they are not bring in by having "free maintenance" by charging outrageous prices for items that are not covered by the program. The worst part of this I bought two cars from them last year and the service department still tried to rip me off, I love the car but with only one choice for warranty maintenance on the island I do not think I will be buying another Mini in Hawaii again.
You might want to check out Island Brake & Alignment in Aiea. I use them for alignments, suspension work, and tires, they do excellent work at a fair price, and they will rotate your tires for free.

JAS76 06-21-2009 09:32 AM

just had mine rotated at Local Mini (Flow Mini) for $40 and even better yet I went in for a oil change at 7500 miles and got that for free!!! They said since i brought it in the same month i had bought it a year earlier it was free. Weird??? sorry for being a little off topic :)

J

Spice Orange JCW 06-21-2009 10:34 AM

My dealer has a high price for tire rotation also. For some reason they insist that it is that high for the reason that they must also balance the tires. I would be sure that all these tire rotations in the 100 dollar area are with a 4 wheel balance. I can not understand why they would think they have to be balanced too. Unless you had a balance problem before there should be no balance problem just from moveing them to a different area of the car.

rkw 06-21-2009 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JAS76 (Post 2801249)
even better yet I went in for a oil change at 7500 miles and got that for free!!! They said since i brought it in the same month i had bought it a year earlier it was free. Weird???

Oil changes are covered under the 3yr/36K free maintenance, following the service indicator. However it also covers an annual oil change if the service counter hasn't run down after a year.

Robin Casady 06-21-2009 02:43 PM

Some dealers send all tire related work to a tire shop, and then charge for handling it. There are a lot of things best not to go to a dealer for. For example, mine charges something like $150/hr to install mud flaps. Easy job to do oneself.

I like to rotate my own tires because I know they are torqued properly, and I'm more careful to not scratch the wheels with the lug wrench. One tire shop really scratched up the hubs on one set of wheels. Last time I buy tires from them.

rrcaniglia 06-21-2009 05:15 PM

I now own a torque wrench. Next my own jack and stands.

driverphil 06-21-2009 07:09 PM

If you look in your owner's manual you will see that tire rotation is not recommended.