R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cooper S with JCW kit vs. Factory JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize with either car it will be a lot mor efun and powerful already, but I'm just trying to make the right decision and justify if its worth paying more for the JCW model over a Cooper S with the Stage 1 kit. As far a performance goes, I want it to almost remain stock... might do alta cai and possibly a new exhaust but thats as far as I wanna go. Rest is like appearance, like drop, wheels and sound inside.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
hmm... not sure what I did but my first configuration on a cooper S came out to be 31200with the Stage 1 kit and what I wanted. When I did a JCW it came out to 35700 with better wheels pretty much. So basically a 4500 difference?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Doesn't the factory JCW come with a bigger turbocharger, one that cannot be put on the MCS? I thought that was the main source of the added BHP on the factory car. Nobody mentioned that in this thread is why I ask.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by ChEEzE[iT]
hmm... not sure what I did but my first configuration on a cooper S came out to be 31200with the Stage 1 kit and what I wanted. When I did a JCW it came out to 35700 with better wheels pretty much. So basically a 4500 difference?
Again, you're over-simplifying it as though it's $4,500 for better wheels. Also, I think you're forgetting the labor cost of installing the Stage 1 kit. Prices in the Steps 5 & 6 of the configurator do not factor in dealer labor (which is yet another reason why I try to get people to ignore steps 5 & 6 until after they have bought their MINI).

However, it seems you're totally forgetting about what else you get for that (less than) $4,500 difference:
  • 17 more HP
  • Stronger internals & transmission
  • More "bling" (door sills, speedo, shift ****, badges, etc.)
  • 4 piston Brembo brakes
The big JCW brakes alone are $1,999 MSRP before installation, although you can probably buy the brakes for $1,600 from some sources... but again, there's still the installation cost (unless you do it yourself).

I'm not saying that you would be "wrong" to choose the MCS and get the Stage 1 kit. I'm simply suggesting you don't oversimplify the differences before as you make your decision.

It seems that so many people really don't pay attention to the disclaimer in the MINIUSA Configurator as soon as you enter Step 5:
Originally Posted by STEP 5 & 6: MINI MOTORING ACCESSORY INFO & DISCLAIMER
IMPORTANT: All of the prices listed for MINI Motoring Accessories are estimated retail prices and are subject to change. Actual prices may vary and depend upon your MINI Dealer. Prices DO NOT INCLUDE installation or painting, which may be required for particular items. Please check with your authorized MINI Dealer for complete pricing accuracy.

Also just a heads up that some items might not be available for new models right away or that items might still be modified a bit.
See that part there in the middle? Prices do not include installation/painting. So you have to factor that in if you start looking at those steps!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:32 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Doesn't the factory JCW come with a bigger turbocharger, one that cannot be put on the MCS? I thought that was the main source of the added BHP on the factory car. Nobody mentioned that in this thread is why I ask.
Couple people have mentioned that actually, myself included. So yes it does come with a larger turbo. You can retrofit a larger turbo, including the JCW one, if you wanted to do so after the fact, but it is expensive to do. You would be replacing more than the turbo to make it work. It has been done though.

CheezeIt, if you are the type of person who has any issues coveting things after the fact, go for the factory JCW, perhaps a used one. You will be playing catch up trying to get it to spec.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Again, you're over-simplifying it as though it's $4,500 for better wheels. Also, I think you're forgetting the labor cost of installing the Stage 1 kit. Prices in the Steps 5 & 6 of the configurator do not factor in dealer labor (which is yet another reason why I try to get people to ignore steps 5 & 6 until after they have bought their MINI).

However, it seems you're totally forgetting about what else you get for that (less than) $4,500 difference:
  • 17 more HP
  • Stronger internals & transmission
  • More "bling" (door sills, speedo, shift ****, badges, etc.)
  • 4 piston Brembo brakes
The big JCW brakes alone are $1,999 MSRP before installation, although you can probably buy the brakes for $1,600 from some sources... but again, there's still the installation cost (unless you do it yourself).

I'm not saying that you would be "wrong" to choose the MCS and get the Stage 1 kit. I'm simply suggesting you don't oversimplify the differences before as you make your decision.
Well put Edge.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
I guess I should just think of the final price I configure + labor/paint.

ImCBParker - I'm leaning away from a used car as 1) I want to be able to design it how I want it and 2) I want to be sure that the car will be hassle free. No problems in the past that the seller is trying to hide.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ImCBParker - I'm leaning away from a used car as 1) I want to be able to design it how I want it and 2) I want to be sure that the car will be hassle free. No problems in the past that the seller is trying to hide.
Speaking with an MA, the JCW Kit costs about $2300 if installed at the VDC, more if done at the dealer.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear

Completely understand. Remember, they are covered by warranty so most issues should be covered, but full customization is an easy lure.

To give you a pricing perspective for the stage one/brakes route. My dealer, which is a good dealer mind you, wanted $2400 for parts and labor on the Stage One Kit, and $2400 as well for brakes and install. You can get the parts for less (ebay.co.uk should be your best friend for this), but you will spend a lot of time tracking them down.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
$2400 for parts and labor... I guess that makes it roughly 300 for labor only. Yeah and as far as doing installs myself, I'm trying to play it safe this time around and letting dealer do most of the stuff so it stays warrantied. Still playing with configurations but it seems more practical, it looks like for a cooper S with a stage 1 kit since that should put it at $29300 without the labor/paint of the JCW aero kit and JCW Stage 1 kit. I guess in a way, I'm trying to stay closer to $30,000 for the mini but making sure I get the most for my money.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You'd get the most for your $$ if you got a JCW factory with few options. You can't add the better turbo I don't think (maybe you can add a different one, but not that one), the brakes/exhaust/clutch/pistons/ECU all make it nicer to drive. You can add a swaybar for $500 and the body kit later.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Speaking with an MA, the JCW Kit costs about $2300 if installed at the VDC, more if done at the dealer.
In the current state of the economy, dealer may be willing to reduce the price of the JCW Engine Kit. I got my dealer to match Morristown's price of $1680 plus 3 hrs of labour to install it. Total was $2050 plus tax.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darmog
You also have to remember that alot of that increase in hp and torque occurs in the upper rev range. So, if your dealer is a bit reluctant to let you rev up to 6500 rpm on a test drive, you probably won't notice the difference between the two in the lower rpms. The good thing about the JCW tuning kit is that you can add it anytime. Why not just settle on an S with the cosmetic and functional options you want for a few months? Let yourself know the car and how it drives. You'll probably end up changing the tires and wheels first before anything anyways. And then get the JCW tuning kit. You'll really appreciate it afterwards cause you'll know for sure where that kit is improving your ride. If you get it right away, you might end up scratching your head questioning if it was worthwhile since you never had a base to compare it to. Just my 2 cents.
I sort of always thought that too. But I stumbled across this thread the other day, looking for something else, and thought it was a really good read. Made me think again about popping for the Stage 1 kit. Lots of thoughtful comments.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-review.html

Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheels must fit over Brembo brakes

If you are thinking about putting the Brembo Brakes that come on a factory JCW you need to be prepared to also purchase wheels that will fit over the brake calipers etc. So add in the cost of new wheels into your price.
I paid $29,500 for my 2009 factory JCW with the "SPORT SUSPENSION" as the only option. It is the best car I have ever owned and I have had Corvettes, Mustangs, and use of a 911 Turbo Porsche. I don't think I would give up my factory JCW for anything out there. It is a truly great car.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
If you are thinking about putting the Brembo Brakes that come on a factory JCW you need to be prepared to also purchase wheels that will fit over the brake calipers etc. So add in the cost of new wheels into your price.
I paid $29,500 for my 2009 factory JCW with the "SPORT SUSPENSION" as the only option. It is the best car I have ever owned and I have had Corvettes, Mustangs, and use of a 911 Turbo Porsche. I don't think I would give up my factory JCW for anything out there. It is a truly great car.
Sweet car. I actually wanted to do a similar scheme but add driving lamps and do joey mod later on.

How'd you get the JCW for 29,500? Was it because it was somethinge dealer had on the lot? All the stuff I start to build online is already ofer 31000 to begin with.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I paid $29,500 for my 2009 factory JCW with the "SPORT SUSPENSION" as the only option.
How'd you get the JCW for 29,500? Was it because it was somethinge dealer had on the lot? All the stuff I start to build online is already ofer 31000 to begin with.
After seeing your post, I loaded up the MINIUSA configurator, and did exactly what he said - added only the Sport Suspension to a Factory JCW. No other options.

The price comes to $29,700. I'd be willing to bed his dealer knocked off $200 to make the sale, especially when there's a glut of MINIs on dealer lots right now.

So it -can- be done, you just have to resist those options.

(Mind you, IMO you'd be better off skipping the Sport Suspension and having the dealer install the JCW Suspension instead. Sure, it will cost more... but the JCW Suspension is nice.)

Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
oh haha... guess I thought wrong. I like the aero kit and the custom interior... :( and stripes nothing TOO fancy I guess, but it does add up.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it (didn't see it), but the JCW also has different pistons to handle the increased boost. Before it was released, the JCW was called the Stage II, while the kit is Stage I. They are very different.

The Stage II took about a year longer to come out than originally expected. Rumor was that they had problems dealing with heat. So, just hotrodding an MCS beyond the Stage I kit could get you into trouble.

With the upgraded turbo, pistons, clutch, transmission, brakes, etc. on the JCW, I don't think you can expect the MCS with a Stage I kit to come close to it.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 AM
LazyT
3rd Gear
I paid $29,500 for my 2009 factory JCW with the "SPORT SUSPENSION" as the only option. It is a truly great car.
Are you glad you opted for the Sports Suspension on the JCW? How is the ride around town?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the way it rides & handles

I got out of a 98 Corvette that I added the ZO6 swaybars,springs and shocks to. When I got my JCW I really wanted the handling that I was used to. I would not have bought my car if it did not have the factory sport suspension. This JCW flat corners and is a perfect ride for me. It feels firm and planted on any road. I do live in Florida where the roads are a lot better then NY or NJ etc.
The sticker on my car was plus a shipping charge. The dealer tossed in a set on Mini Carpet floor mats and the Sport Stripes at no/charge. I bought the JCW strut bar for $268.00 including the tax. I purchased it in October 2008.
The car was on the showroom floor with 10 miles on it when I purchased it. It is Chili Red and equiped just the way I would have ordered it.
I did notice on the window sticker that the ENGINE & Transmission both were made in Germany. That was a PLUS for me. The fit & finish on this car is absolutly perfect. I eventally will get lighter wheels and non-runflat tires but I'm really in no hurry to do that yet.
I have no regrets buying this car and would do it again.
Ronnie948

My JCW and Randy Pobst's yellow Porsche and Jack's Red 911 on the end at Daytona Speedway at a Track Day back in December.

I dug out my original window sticker and the car was $28,550.00- The Sport suspension was $500.00 & the destination charge was $650.00 bringing the total up to $29,700 The dealer gave me a discount of $100.00 so I did pay $29,600 for the car total.

Last edited by ronnie948; 06-05-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
This is a copy paste from an earlier thread. Thanks to the OP:
With the factory JCW car you get even more aggressive ECU tuning, a full turbo back exhaust system, upgraded pistons, upgraded transmission, upgraded clutch, the airbox from the Stage 1 kit, anthracite headliner, new JCW door sills, speedo that goes to 160 instead of 140
I think for 2009, both "S" and JCW come with the 160mpg speedo. My R57 which was ordered as a "S" has the 160mph speedo.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
ajpags
Neutral
Is there a VIN difference for factory JCWs?

Trying to figure out if the 2008 I'm looking at is the actual factory JCW or just an S with the kit. I'm guessing it's a kitted car - but want definitive proof. Some of the tips on this thread are helpful, and it seems that the Brembos (or lack thereof) would be the biggest clue.

A VIN comparison would prove it for sure if that's possible. Any help is appreciated guys...

Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ajpags
Trying to figure out if the 2008 I'm looking at is the actual factory JCW or just an S with the kit. I'm guessing it's a kitted car - but want definitive proof. Some of the tips on this thread are helpful, and it seems that the Brembos (or lack thereof) would be the biggest clue.

A VIN comparison would prove it for sure if that's possible. Any help is appreciated guys...
08 is likely not a JCW anyway as the factory started with the 09 model, thus why we have a seperate 09+ JCW forum. You can also read about it:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/07/...-the-stage-ii/

It is mostly components you cannot see, though if you pop the hood, you will notice a slightly larger turbo. Now, I have an 07 MCS with a kit, suspension, brakes, etc that looks in some ways more sportier since the current 09 JCW does not come with JCW suspension or drilled slotted rotors, all the same, if it is an 08, it is not the new factory JCW.

Best of luck with your purchase, either way you will love it.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ajpags

Info in this thread may be helpful:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...is-my-jcw.html

Good luck!