North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Back for round 2 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/164537-back-for-round-2-a.html)

Chimera 03-03-2009 06:06 AM

Back for round 2

yesterday I placed the order to replace my R53 with an 09 R56. With the R53 I skimped a little on options to keep the payments down (the only thing I added was the MFSW) but this time I spent a little more to get exactly what I wanted - here's the rundown :

Laser blue/black MCSa
Black bonnet stripes
Black bridge spokes
Convenience package with leather MFSW
Cold weather package
Piano black interior
Checkered cloth
Rear fog (I hated the empty switches on my 06)
Driving lights
JCW CF hood scoop - purely an aesthetic choice

What do you think? From the mockup pictures I've done on the MINI site and looking at pics in the gallery I really love LB/B with black wheels, and the stripes and black scoop complete the look IMO. I'm already planning for delivery day, ordering a no-holes plate mount and a few other bits and pieces today. At least the wait isn't going to be as long as my R53....it's good to be back :)

geekswrath 03-03-2009 07:03 AM

I'm really envious of the black bridgespokes, otherwise it sounds like you've got a nice build there. There are a few things that you could have skimped on and done yourself later to save money but if you're happy that's all that matters.

Chimera 03-03-2009 07:08 AM

I'm going to do the scoop install myself (anyone got the instructions somewhere?) to save on labor, and the driving lights are being installed at the port rather than the dealer. I know what you mean about the bridge spokes, for the last few months I've been 99% sure I would get LB/W with the silver wheels, because I didn't even know the black bridge spokes were a no-cost option. As soon as I saw them, it just changed the whole design for me...

Sparks 03-03-2009 07:52 AM

Hood scoop is easy, just pulled mine this weekend. Now, mine is an '07 but it shouldn't be too much different.

Open hood, remove the 4 screws holding the felt padding on. Look towards the front of the hood scoop (underneath the hood) and you'll see a torx screw (size 20) I believe.

Next, close your eyes and pull hard on the scoop, there are only a few pins that hold it on. Yes, pull really hard, it literally pops off.

Took about 5 minutes to take off and replace.

Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose 03-03-2009 08:19 AM

Congrats on the new Mini and the color is perfect.

Chimera 03-03-2009 01:26 PM

I just called my dealer (just in time too) and added the anthracite headliner...I figure the whole car has a dark vibe going inside (carbon, piano black) so the lighter grey headliner and pillers would look out of place. It's only $250 after all :)

MoxieMini 03-03-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by geekswrath (Post 2686988)
I'm really envious of the black bridgespokes

+1. I'm painting mine black next week. :thumbsup:

Pinky Demon 03-03-2009 05:35 PM

This is going to look sweet.

coyle996 03-03-2009 06:31 PM

Sounds like a nice build. The interior is exactly like mine, the only suggestion I have is to check out the anthracite headliner. It seems like you are going for a dark interior (like I was), and without the optional headliner, the roof will be a light gray.

Chimera 03-03-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by coyle996 (Post 2687817)
Sounds like a nice build. The interior is exactly like mine, the only suggestion I have is to check out the anthracite headliner. It seems like you are going for a dark interior (like I was), and without the optional headliner, the roof will be a light gray.

yep, I realized that this morning and added it to the order...good call :)

maacodale 03-04-2009 05:45 AM

Our Clubman S is Laser Blue and Black roof. You'll love it!

coyle996 03-04-2009 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 2687825)
yep, I realized that this morning and added it to the order...good call :)

Nice, you'll be happy with your little cave.

sequence 03-04-2009 10:40 AM

nice build, but really DO consider xenons. after having them on my R53, I will NEVER go back. Besides, the xenon option is one of the only that's dropped in price from the R53 days. :thumbsup: they will make yr (IMO overpriced) driving lites little more than bling.

and welcome back. you will notice the difference between R53 and R56, esp in the interior.

tjtull 03-04-2009 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by geekswrath (Post 2686988)
I'm really envious of the black bridgespokes, otherwise it sounds like you've got a nice build there. There are a few things that you could have skimped on and done yourself later to save money but if you're happy that's all that matters.

Same here on the black bridgespokes. Wish that would have been an option when I bought. You'll get a very nice car with those options.

As a side note (not to hijack the thread) if anyone wants some silver webspoke wheels and is ordering soon, I'll give you mine if you order black and swap with me. Heck, I'll pay double the difference too :wink::thumbsup:

Chimera 03-05-2009 07:05 AM

Well I have a production number now, but the rear fogs are missing. I've informed my MA and she's going to take care of it but does anyone know if they can change the order after it's got a production number (but before production has started), or whether they'll add the rear fogs at the dealer? I'd rather it was done at the factory but as long as I get them, I guess it doesn't matter.

tjtull 03-05-2009 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 2689579)
Well I have a production number now, but the rear fogs are missing. I've informed my MA and she's going to take care of it but does anyone know if they can change the order after it's got a production number (but before production has started), or whether they'll add the rear fogs at the dealer? I'd rather it was done at the factory but as long as I get them, I guess it doesn't matter.

If they add them at the dealer (I've read that some dealers will and some won't) it will cost you a LOT. Odds are they can add it to the build.

COOP310 03-05-2009 08:17 AM

The black wheels are NICE!

Oh and for the rear fogs... check this thread out. Looks pretty easy.

Chimera 03-06-2009 10:37 AM

I guess I missed the rear fogs during the original order and was too late to add them, my MINI is already in production with scheduled completion of 3/12. Dealer price to install is around $600 :( That's just too much for a $100 factory option. I guess I'll look at possibly doing it myself later down the line....

tjtull 03-06-2009 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 2691036)
I guess I missed the rear fogs during the original order and was too late to add them, my MINI is already in production with scheduled completion of 3/12. Dealer price to install is around $600 :( That's just too much for a $100 factory option. I guess I'll look at possibly doing it myself later down the line....

You could always do what I did, get the brake light only kit. It doesn't come with a toggle switch but I hear that's a MFer to put in anyway. The fog light/brake light retrofit is beyond easy and pretty inexpensive.

tjtull 03-06-2009 12:53 PM

Here's where to get the lights and wiring kit for the retrofit. The blanks in the rear end just pop right out. Fishing the wiring harness out is really easy and then you just clamp the wires on to the current brake light wires. It comes complete with instructions.

http://www.minspeed.net/R56BLK.htm