R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Option choice help - Hi-Fi Speaker or Auto A/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my take. That auto air while nice for some is $500!!!! For that money you get a system that will drive you bonkers. I've had a few cars with auto air & driven a few more with it. Hated them all, save the money for something more fun or useful.

I used to think that the HiFi was a waste of dollars too. Until, I spent some quality time in an R56 with that radio. Even my old fart ears could tell it was a vast improvement over the standard radio. It sounds just as good as my R53's standard radio.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 AM
bmwrider1015
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both and really the road noise with run flats drowns out some
of the sound any system in the car that you would have for quality sound.
The AC issue I have a large hole in my roof and windows down all the time.
I really never use AC and that was one of the things that just come with a premium package.
But I read a lot here and ones who have Sun Roof and never use it and I find I never use AC but have roof open every day it is nice in NJ and with that
said that air noise also would affect the stereo sound quality ..
I am a motorcycle rider and I guess I like to here what is around me
and enjoy hearing the gears shifting and the exhaust as I shift.
So I sometimes listen to premium stereo that come with it but with the
way I drive it really is not that great a sound with the open windows and
run flats turning..
The car does not have great interior acoustics for a great sound .
My opinions.
Leather seats I have and guess really worry about them more on stains
and marks than if I would have had vinyl seats..
I now know I over bought on this Mini S and getting to caught up on
having everything and if I was ever to sell it resale value..
I could have really bought the Mini for the way I ride and basically
to and from work 14 miles..
So you have to get past the hype of this car and figure out what the
car is going to be used for..
Good Luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask..
Joe in NJ

Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Take both, my 0.02

Old 11-01-2008, 06:11 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd just flat out get neither. If you really want to upgrade the hi-fi there are other, better ways. And the auto AC gets wonky at times....I'd rather use my own noggin to figure that out.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 AM
DanF
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I opted for the HIFI but if I had to do it again I would opt for neither. Neither are worth $500 in my opinion.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
I would go with the Auto AC... I don't know what people here are saying, but here near the Mexican Border (McAllen, Texas), I haven't moved the temperature setting from 72, and it keeps it there despite it being 40 degrees at night or 100 in the day.

Maybe I got a lucky unit.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pass on them both and save $500.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
I've got the standard air and always need to have the fan on to get any air flow. Yes, it is an annoying and a waste here too. The first car I've ever had where you couldn't have air without using the fan.
I use the windows or the sunroof for venting if I want it, and I've never understood the waste issue people have with it. The fan is so low-flow at the lowest setting I would be surprised if the dash lights drew less current.

Besides, the auto AC adds the cabin filtration and I'd bet that impedes the free flow of air you'd see without it.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto A/C adds the carbon cabin filter. Non auto climate controls have a non-carbon filter as well.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Hmm- so much for that theory then

Old 11-01-2008, 01:38 PM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
I wasn't going to get the auto a/c until I was forced to upgrade with the integrated Nav. I really dig how it works and I would choose the option on another MINI purchase.

The quality/value of the Hi-Fi is a very subjective (maybe religious) topic here on NAM. It's a $500 option I wouldn't pay for doing it over again. I will be upgrading all speakers and adding a sub to get the stereo up to par with the rest the vehicles features.

Bottom line is, it's $500 and probably worth your time to sit in a few cars and REALLY test out both features. When testing out the HiFi, don't be timid and make sure you play YOUR music at volume levels you're likely to use.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
viethuynh
Neutral
I also think auto A/C is expensive but it is required if you get the Nav unit..

Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP

Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Jankjo
2nd Gear
Listen to the hi-fi and standard stereo systems at the dealer.
If you really like the hi-fi better, get it.

i didn't like the hi-fi any better than the standard. (in fact, I thought it was worse). In terms of after market upgrades, read the threads under audio, and I think you'll find more problems with upgrading the hi-fi than the standard system. For under $200 you can replace the front speakers in the standard system yourself and improve the sound dramatically (again based on the threads in the navigation and audio section).

Old 11-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Auto A/C adds the carbon cabin filter. Non auto climate controls have a non-carbon filter as well.
I'm pretty sure all MINI's have the carbon cabin air filter. My R53 sure does. It is possible it was changed for the R56 as another cost cutting measure.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:53 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jankjo
For under $200 you can replace the front speakers in the standard system yourself and improve the sound dramatically (again based on the threads in the navigation and audio section).
Actually, if you go with the standard system the first step you can do for pretty much free- the head unit rolls off bass response below 100Hz to the front channels and doing a front to back swap makes for an improvement.

IIRC, from Schatzy62's testing the HiFi system wasn't affected.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 AM
HorseGuy
Neutral
I have both auto AC (part of pkg) and the HiFi upgrade.
I would not have ordered the auto AC separately.
However, good music while driving is essential for me. I agree that the sound improvement with the upgrade may not be worth an extra $500, but it is by any measure an improvement. Mini has surprisingly fallen victim to the age old "quantity better than quality" argument on this one. Simply changing to higher quality speakers would have been a much superior solution. I did not go the base system w/aftermarket speaker upgrade route because I have had one too many experiences with the dreaded door panel rattle. Once my car was buttoned up in Oxford, I was not about to take a chance of loosening anything. Imagine an old Led Zeppelin song comes on the radio, you turn it up a little and all you hear is "bzzz-bzzz...bzzz-bzzz".

Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
DanF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
I'm pretty sure all MINI's have the carbon cabin air filter. My R53 sure does. It is possible it was changed for the R56 as another cost cutting measure.
The standard AC filter does not have the carbon filter. I bought a carbon filter for 40 bucks. A lot cheaper than 500 bucks though.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
I guess MINI did find another way to increase their profits.

You should be getting free filters with all of your services. I'm out of my free service period & have been buying my carbon filters for $12 each. Dan, do a google search & see if R56 filters are available too.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
glucaaz_MINIMIA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
I use the windows or the sunroof for venting if I want it, and I've never understood the waste issue people have with it. The fan is so low-flow at the lowest setting I would be surprised if the dash lights drew less current.

Besides, the auto AC adds the cabin filtration and I'd bet that impedes the free flow of air you'd see without it.
Exactly...the value of in cabin microfiltration is priceless. Especially if one, like me, suffers from allergies. But regardless of allergies, once you replace one of those in cabin filters yourself and see what junk gets filtered out....you'll think twice about whether or not in cabin microfilter is worth.

I like the set it and forget it temperature, and here in AZ we go from 34 degrees in the winter mornings to 100 dees-grees in the summer mornings...so plenty of use for set-it-and-forget-it and microfiltration.

The stereo deal...
Is it worth $500 as a stand-alone upgrade? I think not.
Does it sound good? It sounds good enough to enjoy the ride and raise the volume a bit every now and then.
Is it a good system for an audiophile? Absolutely not.
Do you have the time and patience (definetely hidden costs) of going to places like Audio Express or Best Buy to get quotes, decides what is best, and upgrade the Stereo?
How much is your time worth?
Are you willing to have some college kids (no offense here, just get to the point) to rip your door panels and what not on your brand new 25/30k (or more) Mini? Just look at HorseGuy post down below.

If one is planning on getting the double panle moon roof (oh, so sweet) then opt for the Premium Package...you can't go wrong.

Last edited by glucaaz_MINIMIA; 04-23-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Have both. Personally I would prefer the auto-AC. The speakers on the hi-fi I ended up swapping out with Focals. Previously on the hi-fi I could go to about 50% and then I'd hear distortion. Now I can max it out and the only thing that isn't music is the wiring harnesses rattling against the panels (I gotta get back in there and clean that up ).

My upgrade cost was about 600$ and I got a 100% improvement. That said, it would probably be more if I hadn't had the tweeter spots on the A-pillars (and the wiring already in place).

It's all up to you, but if you're really looking to cut out the fat, I think the standard sound system will be fine if you're not blaring music. Of course, if you can handle adjusting the AC when you need to, you can cut that out too. It's all about convenience really. Good luck with your choice!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
basil49
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
+1
Originally Posted by Jankjo
For under $200 you can replace the front speakers in the standard system yourself and improve the sound dramatically.
Yep. Entirely worth it.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 PM
skerm8
2nd Gear
A/C and wipers

Oh yeah, the wipers are a good thing. When you are on a dark night in the bad rain you will be glad you did order it. When you want to hear that great song you love, you will be glad you installed it. But it's a personal thing. I enjoy comfort. I enjoy music and I enjoy my car. My advice, order the car how you would feel comfortable. Think of yourself driving everyday when you are in the car you drive now. The HI FI is maybe not the best (high dollar system you would have installed elsewhere) but it is still pretty good if you tune it just right. The car is a MINI not a MAXI for sound. It vibrates a bit at times and you need to adjust it. --Stacy

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is my take on it. If you want to get one or the iether i would get the Auto AC becuase you can't add that easily yourself afterwards, but for about $500 you can upgrade your speakers.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
ive got auto AC and non-hi fi. Im glad i got it that way. The ac is awesome and keeps it right where its set w/o having to do anything!. Im upgrading the sterio anyway and supposedly hifi isnt all that better... minis speakers suck no matter what

Quick Reply: R56 Option choice help - Hi-Fi Speaker or Auto A/C