R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cold feet

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
john_from_virginia
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold feet

So my '09 BRG/W MCS comes in at the end of the month and I'm having doubts. Just thinking maybe I should stick with my current car...a really sweet '06 Cayman S. Nothing against the MINI, think it's an awesome car and I've test driven it multiple times.

Do you think it would be crazy to go ahead and buy the car, try it our for a few weeks and then if it's not what I thought it would be, sell it? Seems as though I could probably get what I paid for and even a bit more based on what I see on autotrader, cars.com, etc. Or is that flawed thinking?

My build is pretty loaded...tuscan leather/brushed alloy, anthracite, cold, convenience, nav, hi-fi, chrome mirrors, rear fogs, white signals, LSD and 17-inch flame spokes. I didn't get the sunroof which might be a problem on resale I guess but I've never been much of a sunroof person.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by john_from_virginia
So my '09 BRG/W MCS comes in at the end of the month and I'm having doubts. Just thinking maybe I should stick with my current car...a really sweet '06 Cayman S. Nothing against the MINI, think it's an awesome car and I've test driven it multiple times.

Do you think it would be crazy to go ahead and buy the car, try it our for a few weeks and then if it's not what I thought it would be, sell it? Seems as though I could probably get what I paid for and even a bit more based on what I see on autotrader, cars.com, etc. Or is that flawed thinking?
It depends on what you want to do with the different cars? I can understand the economics as well.

I have a 997 which is similar to your 987. I think the two cars are opposite ends of each other in many ways. The Mini is much easier to drive but much less edgy in terms of performance. I have driven the 987 many times and really like it. Something about driving those rear wheels.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're certainly not the first to voice concern over taking delivery. I'm one of that particular chorus of voices.

I think you've got a good plan going--if you're really on the fence, take delivery, drive it for a while, and see if it's really what you want. If not, I have little doubt that you'll be able to find a buyer in short time.

Best wishes on your decision.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
What made you order the Mini to start with? Fun Factor, size, etc?
As long as you go into the Mini not comparing it to the Cayman, I think it will be a whole new learning curve.
I know any time I get a new car, it's only a few months down the road that I start thinking, "I miss this on the last vehicle." or "this is much better than the last vehicle."
The good thing is the Mini has a great resale value. You could keep the Mini for a year and still come out okay. Sounds like you got the Mini fully loaded so you won't be wishing for an option you didn't get.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for it....

I think you'll find the Mini a fun car to drive, and practical to own. With a small national supply of the cars and most orders being built to spec, it should be easy to sell with little or no loss.

But you'll like the car, so you won't need to sell it!

Matt

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM
tambi
2nd Gear
I would second what montego said.. try not to compare the two cars and I think u'll completely fall in love with the car. I got mine 10 days ago and now, all i do is drive. And since the other car that I own is an 02 Pontiac Sunfire (not sure if i shud have revealed that..! ), I try my best not to compare the two cars... :D

Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
john_from_virginia
1st Gear
I totally understand the MCS can't compare to the Cayman as far as out and out performance goes and I'm cool with that. The reason I ordered one is because it's just so much fun to drive, very nearly as fun as the Cayman, yet it's a ton more practical. I've driven Porsches for the past five years (had an '03 Boxster too) and I think I'm sorta done with the fancy sports car thing.

I guess I'm just worried I'll get a problem MINI and I'll run into some of the same servicing problems I've read about on here at the dealer near me like long waits to get things fixed and an unwillingness to repair stuff that theoretically should be covered under warranty. Porsche has spoiled me, those guys provide unbelievable service.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only pit fall to your test period idea is that you have to get through the break in period (1200 miles) so you have to baby the car a little.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
old81
M6
It sounds like you have a great build for your MINI. If you are done with the Cayman, then be happy convert.

MINI culture is all about driving and enjoying the car along side a bunch of other MINI enthusiasts.

If you found the Porsche groups fun and interesting, you should be able to mix it up with the MINI folks.

Your MINI might have a few nits, they all have something. Just get in it and drive, you will forget the nits.

On Sunday I did a 140 mile drive with the MINI, got rained on at the very last, today I did a bucket wash with a Prima Hydro dry and smiles the whole time, less than 30 minutes.

This car tickles me silly, I have owned a lot of cars over the years.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
No way to keep both?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Reza
2nd Gear
quote=john_from_virginia;2497182]So my '09 BRG/W MCS comes in at the end of the month and I'm having doubts. Just thinking maybe I should stick with my current car...a really sweet '06 Cayman S

Man you are crazy Cayman S is my dream car. I'd give up my MINI in a heartbeat for a Cayman S.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
cyberbro
1st Gear

My build is pretty loaded...tuscan leather/brushed alloy, anthracite, cold, convenience, nav, hi-fi, chrome mirrors, rear fogs, white signals, LSD and 17-inch flame spokes. I didn't get the sunroof which might be a problem on resale I guess but I've never been much of a sunroof person.

You must buy it, you can single handedly fix the world economy with this one purchase!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
john_from_virginia
1st Gear
Thanks for all the replies Maybe our economic future can turn around one MINI purchase at a time, hahahaha.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
I totally understand the MCS can't compare to the Cayman as far as out and out performance goes and I'm cool with that. The reason I ordered one is because it's just so much fun to drive, very nearly as fun as the Cayman, yet it's a ton more practical. I've driven Porsches for the past five years (had an '03 Boxster too) and I think I'm sorta done with the fancy sports car thing.
Are both cars manual transmission? You will have a fun time going from one to another.

If economics is not a problem, I would perfer to keep the cayman s.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Thanks for all the replies Maybe our economic future can turn around one MINI purchase at a time, hahahaha.
Even if the economy fails and our financial institutions go bust, we can still go back to bartering.

LOL what a mess.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texasmontego
What made you order the Mini to start with? Fun Factor, size, etc?
As long as you go into the Mini not comparing it to the Cayman, I think it will be a whole new learning curve.
I know any time I get a new car, it's only a few months down the road that I start thinking, "I miss this on the last vehicle." or "this is much better than the last vehicle."
The good thing is the Mini has a great resale value. You could keep the Mini for a year and still come out okay. Sounds like you got the Mini fully loaded so you won't be wishing for an option you didn't get.
Great points... I think this poster hit it on the head. I also think you did the right thing ordering the way you'd want it. If you change your mind, I don't think you'll have a problem selling it.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark

Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Are you daft man?! A Cayman vs. a Mini. No offense to the Mini but the Cayman must be a dream to drive. Not terribly practical but when you're dropping upwards of 50k it doesn't have to be.

I was considering a Cayman until I saw the sticker :(. So I went with the Mini. I love the Mini but if I had the cash, it would be Cayman before Mini for sure.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Financially it makes sense to get out of the CS and get into a MCS. Less monthly payment and less fuel cost. But if you are after fun, I'd test drive a 135i.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Don't expect to get near what you paid for on the Mini if you decide to resell after a few weeks. It may be loaded and have low miles but so what, it's still used and someone can get a REAL new car at the same price or less. Here's one example: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=154174

Last edited by Benibiker; 10-06-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove a base Boxter for a weekend

and while it had nice balance, I'd drop that sucker in a heartbeat for a Mini S. The Cayman S would be a harder decision, but really, the Mini is a really, really fun drive.

Matt

Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Don't expect to get near what you paid for on the Mini if you decide to resell after a few weeks. It may be loaded and have low miles but so what, it's still used and someone can get a REAL new car at the same price or less. Here's one example: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=154174
That's what I've been thinking since the start of this thread. Even though MINIs hold their value well, there MUST be a step-function level of depreciation during the few minutes it takes to drive it off the lot. It is no longer a "new" car. I suspect that once you get past that initial drop the value stays pretty level over time barring any weird market forcing.

With all that said, based on your ability to afford a Cayman and a loaded MCS you can probably absorb the instant depreciation without incurring a whole lot of pain. That gives you a bit more flexibility.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Yeah, I don't think your going to get 100% of your money back if you sell the car after a month or so. My advice would be to find somewhere to rent a 08 MCS for a week or so and make your decision then.

Depending on the dealership and the arrangement, you might not loose your deposit because more then likely they will sell the car you ordered to someone else in no time.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
bmwrider1015
2nd Gear
I Believe the Economy has all THINKING

Oppppppps

Last edited by bmwrider1015; 10-07-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
bmwrider1015
2nd Gear
I Believe the Economy has all THINKING

I just bought mine 4 weeks ago I really like the way it looks
the color combination PW/PW with Redwood Interior.
But 32K for a small car and it is not a Boxster or Corvette
in handling and sort of knew this but expected a little
more from it in the curves.
But also wanted a gas car that was going to deliver good mileage.
But the 32K really has me thinking with the way the market is
and banks and jobs being loss every day.
I believe these thoughts are in back of our minds more than
we admit to..
Will tell you that I think of selling my S with 600 miles on it
but wife took it to work this morning and just seeing it drive
away and how I really like it..
Only you can determine your desires and what the use of
Mini means to you...Joe

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Apple
6th Gear
life is to short , too commit to one car