R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To "S" or not to "S"

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:49 PM
MiniU4ia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To "S" or not to "S"

Greetings.
I'm ready to get in line and place my order for an '09, but first.....

I need help/input.

I guess this in more for justCooper folks, as I need convincing on how good or happy I'll be with a non-S.

I can think of many reasons why I would Love a MCS, but will the Love be the same for the other?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
There are a million threads on this subject. This is an age old question that only you can decide on after spending some quality time behind an S and a Non S.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
If I were you I'd spend more time behind a non-S to appreciate it. Nobody is denying the S is more visceral (which is why I'm on my second MCS) however don't forget the non-S MC is still a MINI. The S only really helps getting going, while the same go-kart handling, etc is present in both cars.

I'll never forget a track day last fall at NHMS and the non-S MC that was consistently putting in the same times as most of the MCS. It was far more impressive than any performance I saw the whole day by any MCS. Loved the "sleeper" aspect.

In you end, as Benibiker said you are the only one that can adequately weigh your needs versus desires. I'd ask your MA if you could borrow a MC for a little while to drive around to mull over your choices.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
(whispers to OP)....

S.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
If you like fast cars get the S. At full on acceleration, MCS can provide a decent feeling of g force on you back. Not a super G but a decent G that will put a grin on your face.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Choose wisely Luke.

As previous posts have said, only you can decide. Before I purchased my S, I went to a rental agency and rented a non-S for a week. I loved it, but for me, when I then test drove the S, there was no going back. I want the punch when I am getting on the freeway, passing in the mountains, having to drive extra defensively and get away from some irratic driver.

The S and the non-S handle the same, but I liked the difference in the accelleration. I tend to "know" my cars and feel all of the slight changes in handling, accelleration, etc. I have a 2007 Cabrio S Sidewalk Package with 17" wheels. My sister has a 2008 Tin Top S with 16" wheels. Even the two S's are slightly different. One is a Super Charged and one a Turbo. While we love each other's cars, we are both equally pleased with the "babies" we chose and would not trade for anything.

Whatever you get is a very personal choice and you need to go to a dealer and test drive each one and on a variety of road conditions.

Everytime I get behind the wheel of my MINI I break into an involuntary smile. I have (as far as I am concerned) owned some really great cars and believe me when I say I do not change cars often. I have a 61 VW bug that I have had since 1974; I had a Spitfire for 10 years and a BMW for 20. I will have my MINI forever.

Wasn't it some little green guy with pointy ears that said "Choose wisely Luke".

Old 09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
I agree with r56mini. The other thing to consider is that an S does have more standard features than a standard cooper. My Mini is a somewhat basic S, with a few little things and a sports pckg. Before I got Coop, I went online to see (out of curiosity) how much a Cooper would cost with the same options as the S. A fair amount of options would need to be selected in order to be as equipped as a basic S. Remember, a mini is still a mini, S or not. Personally I think its awesome that so many people buy a justacooper. Imagine if we ALL had S Coopers! Wouldnt be as fun....

Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard anyone with an S say they wished they'd gotten a non-S....

The following users liked this post:
Gaius Baltar (06-15-2022)
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
?

Originally Posted by minimarks
Who said they would rather have a non-S than S?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
The question's been done to death. We have both, so I claim I know what I'm talking about, they're both great fun, just different. The S makes life easy with all its extra power and torque. The justacooper can be more fun if you work at it. The S cost a little under $3k more (both as very similarly equipped). I don't see any consistent difference in MPG, at least the way I drive.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sketch
Who said they would rather have a non-S than S?
I think you are reading it wrong.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56
I think you are reading it wrong.

I think so.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 AM
cyberbro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
As previous posts have said, only you can decide. Before I purchased my S, I went to a rental agency and rented a non-S for a week. I loved it, but for me, when I then test drove the S, there was no going back. I want the punch when I am getting on the freeway, passing in the mountains, having to drive extra defensively and get away from some irratic driver.

The S and the non-S handle the same, but I liked the difference in the accelleration. I tend to "know" my cars and feel all of the slight changes in handling, accelleration, etc. I have a 2007 Cabrio S Sidewalk Package with 17" wheels. My sister has a 2008 Tin Top S with 16" wheels. Even the two S's are slightly different. One is a Super Charged and one a Turbo. While we love each other's cars, we are both equally pleased with the "babies" we chose and would not trade for anything.

Whatever you get is a very personal choice and you need to go to a dealer and test drive each one and on a variety of road conditions.

Everytime I get behind the wheel of my MINI I break into an involuntary smile. I have (as far as I am concerned) owned some really great cars and believe me when I say I do not change cars often. I have a 61 VW bug that I have had since 1974; I had a Spitfire for 10 years and a BMW for 20. I will have my MINI forever.

Wasn't it some little green guy with pointy ears that said "Choose wisely Luke".

Wasn't it some little green guy with pointy ears that said "Choose wisely Luke".[/quote]

Actually I believe that was the line form Indiana Jones and the last Crusade and Luke was not said just Choose Wisely to Indy.

Use the force Luke!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by minimarks
I wish I had gotten a JustaCooper instead of my MCS.

Just kidding.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Sure....

Old 10-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniU4ia
Greetings.
I'm ready to get in line and place my order for an '09, but first.....

I need help/input.

I guess this in more for justCooper folks, as I need convincing on how good or happy I'll be with a non-S.

I can think of many reasons why I would Love a MCS, but will the Love be the same for the other?
Ask yourself what you want in a car...if you like to have performance then go with the S....if your taste is style and economy go with the non-S. A test drive should put that to bed for you.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'm a Cooper lover...always have been...I think this topic comes up every week or so, in fact some stuff was just posted on this yesterday. If you enjoy MINI handling and don't crave more power (in favor of using well what power you have while getting the best mpgs)...get a Cooper. If you're into power, get an S.

Power gets in my way...don't need it, can't use it (we have speed limits here), don't want it. Give me ample power, good torque, and a nice gearbox and that's all I want. And if I get 40 mpg in city driving...now I'm truly impressed.

Power can be like a drug...some can't ever get enough. Also, power = torque steer which bothers some (but not others). Not an issue on Coopers....no ugly scoop either.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Go either way, I have a MC, could have bought a S but chose not too

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
This was posted yesterday. Get what you love...this is what MINIs are all about. If you feel a Cooper would be too much of a compromise, get an S. If you love Cooper motoring, yeah, stick with a Cooper.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Wizeguy9999
4th Gear
I think if we rephrase the question it will make the decision easier.

Should you get an MC or a JCW?

Well you don't need all the power of a JCW, but you might find the MC a bit lacking.

I GOT IT!!!

Get an S as it's the perfect compromise betweeen the two!!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Interrupted Data Packets

Originally Posted by cyberbro

Actually I believe that was the line form Indiana Jones and the last Crusade and Luke was not said just Choose Wisely to Indy.

Use the force Luke![/quote]

YES, that's the one! Obviously the Force was experiencing technical difficulties last night and I was receiving interrupted data packets from the server. I better go review some DVD's to restore the missing data archives.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:06 AM
MiniU4ia
2nd Gear
As far as power goes, how does the justaCooper handle on hills (there were no hill on my test route) ?

Let's say I want to take the wifey to Lake Tahoe or even Yosemite Park. The two of us with maybe a cooler full of snack/drinks a lil suitcase (just in case we spend the night), how lethargic will the non S experience be on those hilly asphalts?
Will I have semi-trucks be passing me ?

Or is the JustaCoop more than capable of handling this....

Last edited by MiniU4ia; 10-01-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
MHPHOCKEY
Neutral
No question, get the S

Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
housewolf
1st Gear
We bought the MC for my wife, she loves it. I have a highly modded late model GTO. I love the Cooper too, but wish it had more power. I expect we'll trade once it's two years old and get an identical S.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 PM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
i have an MC.

i mean of course who DOESNT like the S?
like everyone has said, it all comes down to personal preference.

i got my car used.
i mean it was the only one at the monrovia lot that was still affordable.
lol. duh obviously i wouldve loved an S.
but i got waht i got.
now i LOVE my not-s cooper.
so what if it doesnt have a turbo or a super.
who needs one?

and besides.
a justacooper is, i think, a lot more unique and customizable than the s solely because it has no super or turbo in it. it's a NA car whcih makes it that much more cool. the way it drives and the way it handles is incredible for a naturally aspirated car. other cars in its league or within its class of HP or TQ wouldnt even compare.

with justa's, you can do anyyything with it.
if you see a guy and he says "oh i have an S."
you automatically think oh cool his is turbo'd/super'd.
then youd alread know whats under the hood that really is giving it that big boost.
nothing new.

BUT. if you see a guy and he goes "i have a cooper (non-s)"
then you'd think oh it's just a cooper, but yet you wouldnt know what he's done to it. (thus the uniqueness to the cooper). he pops the hood, looks in and out of the car and out comes the WHOAA this is TIIGHT.

not that im bashing on the S.
like i previously stated, i wouldve loved it if i got an S. (power, duh.)
being that i have been a non-s owner, i love the NA cooper even more.
(for the reasons that i have said in this post.)

it alllll comesss down to YOOU, miniu4ia.
simply stated, you are at an advantage vs. advantage situation.
either decision will benifit you greatly.

Last edited by jbkoopa; 10-16-2008 at 09:11 PM.