R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To "S" or not to "S"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTIer
it should be in the 30-ies.
I prefer mine in the 40s w/ a Cooper.

Originally Posted by ChasenG
Im sorry but the non-S is wayyy too slow for me
Fair enough, but I drove home right next to a JCW today...he wasn't going any faster than me and I guaranty I was having just as much fun!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One more justCooper owner's comment

Originally Posted by MiniU4ia
Greetings.
I'm ready to get in line and place my order for an '09, but first.....

I need help/input.

I guess this in more for justCooper folks, as I need convincing on how good or happy I'll be with a non-S.

I can think of many reasons why I would Love a MCS, but will the Love be the same for the other?
Thanks all. The few non S I have test driven in I have been pretty happy with. Not so much as the off the line speed,
which it lacks compared to the S, but more the the handling.

So I just placed my order for a Pwhite Cooper. I hope the wait won't cause me to have " I should have gotten an "S" nightmares
I'll just remember why I'm getting a MINI, because it's a blast to drive! Non S or otherwise
No doubt that if the features included with the 'Super' Cooper appeal to you,
it is at reasonable cost (Unlike so many MINI Options) and the MPG difference would be about 2-4 (until your foot gets itchy for extra power).

For me, the extra power had no appeal, nor did the no-spare RunFlats or "Sport" Package, Fog Lights etc.
and especially the front, left side and rear styling of the "Super" version.

I am in complete agreement with your "...handling" comment, as this was my impression as well.

Cooper's have about ½ inch wider 'track' and a slight weight balance advantage,
but this may not be noticable by the many Super Cooper Fans who have stated that the handling was "identical'

I am now in my sixth month with the non-S and there has never been a single moment
(and this includes freeway ramps and curvy country road overtake's) that I have wished for any more power.

You did mention Lake Tahoe and if a lot of your travel involved high altitude,
you can expect up to a 33% power loss above 6-10,000' elevation (depending on temperatures),
but no semi-truck will ever catch you

I have never regreted my choice of Cooper and plan to keep her for a very long time,
however if you can foresee yourself longing for the extra power,
the extra +10% cost of purchase would be well spent (especially over short-term ownership).

Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 PM
MiniU4ia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HERE, HERE..WELL SAID !

Originally Posted by pilotart
For me, the extra power had no appeal, nor did the no-spare RunFlats or "Sport" Package, Fog Lights etc.
and especially the front, left side and rear styling of the "Super" version.

I am in complete agreement with your "...handling" comment, as this was my impression as well.

Cooper's have about ½ inch wider 'track' and a slight weight balance advantage,
but this may not be noticable by the many Super Cooper Fans who have stated that the handling was "identical'

I am now in my sixth month with the non-S and there has never been a single moment
(and this includes freeway ramps and curvy country road overtake's) that I have wished for any more power.

You did mention Lake Tahoe and if a lot of your travel involved high altitude,
you can expect up to a 33% power loss above 6-10,000' elevation (depending on temperatures),
but no semi-truck will ever catch you

I have never regreted my choice of Cooper and plan to keep her for a very long time,
however if you can foresee yourself longing for the extra power,
the extra +10% cost of purchase would be well spent (especially over short-term ownership).

Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can drive an S like a non S but you can't drive a non-S like an S.

The following users liked this post:
Gaius Baltar (06-15-2022)
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
I know if I had gotten an S I would end up driving much to fast My justa keeps me out of trouble.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 AM
bmwrider1015
2nd Gear
I have "S" and drive like NO "S"

First off here where I live in NJ the traffic and roads that
I travel every day have ruts, patch repairs, and to many
lights and people on cell phones who pay know attention.
So you play defense the whole 15 miles .
I have posted before and if I were not American I would
have bought the non "S".
But being spoiled as we are here bought the S.
I have said before this car and yes do like it but still
feel it is over price S or not.
The car and yes have sport suspension is sort of ruff
and some road noise depending on road conditions.
And the car steers like go cart but is over rated on
hype on handling.
I know I have been very disappointed on cornering.
I ride motorcycles and hit corners very heavy and
really was hoping this car would give me same
satisfaction from car driving and it falls very short
on that feeling .
I have only jumped on it twice and I really did feel
the torque steer and that first time was a real
surprise that I really did think something was wrong
with car and how steering wheel almost riped out
of my hand and thinking purchasing sport package
and posi for it that I would have had this car that
would have handled like a go cart.
It is NO SPORTS CAR but it can be fun if you know
when you purchase it that it is a small car with
desire more on cute and hype and yes can go
around corners with limits on being front wheel drive.
I do like my Mini S and love seeing it when I come out
of work and enjoying a ride home in it.
Just wish the car was 25K instead of 30K..
And yes over priced big time..

Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
I'd be careful with the "S" model. It has the extremely dangerously exposed super bright hot poker portruding from the back end (AKA tailpipe).

Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Jankjo
2nd Gear
I like the non S
Better gas mileage
Spare tire
Less $
For me super fun to drive

Last edited by Jankjo; 11-27-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
QkSilvr
1st Gear
I had a Justacooper driver pull up to me @ a stoplight this afternoon & ask how I liked my car. I told her I LOVED it & asked her the same question. She said that she had hers 2 years now & that if she had it to do over again, she'd get the "S" like mine because she thought acceleration was too sluggish when she had the AC on. I remembered this post & thought I'd share...

Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I averaged 37mpg cruising at 80 mph today on a 20 mile trip. I do better in summer when there is less ethanol in the gas.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:23 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I averaged 37mpg cruising at 80 mph today on a 20 mile trip. I do better in summer when there is less ethanol in the gas.
Ya, but is it ever summer at the north pole?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:40 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by QkSilvr
she'd get the "S" like mine because she thought acceleration was too sluggish when she had the AC on.
Two comments come to mind: 1) learn to drive...may or may not be applicable, but Coopers are a blast if you really enjoy/get into that kind of driving experience, and 2) was it a first gen Cooper? If so that would explain a lot. The second gen Cooper has gobs more torque at low revs than the first gen car and I can see where someone in that situation would notice the difference. Manual or automatic would make a difference, too.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:16 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
Yeah I haven't noticed any problem on the justacooper with it not taking off well when I have the AC on....maybe she should learn to use her sport button

Old 10-19-2008, 04:28 AM
QkSilvr
1st Gear
No clue, nor will we ever know. As I said, it was a Justacooper driver who pulled up to me @ a stop light... don't know them & more than likely won't see them again. I just thought it was interesting that it was the 1st thing that the person brought up in a very short conversation about Minis before the light turned green.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:07 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
As much as I love Coopers and have never needed/wanted an MCS, I will readily admit that certain driving conditions do probably make the MCS very desirable. I think we all recognize this. If one is cruising alot on open roads and merging with high speed traffic, that extra MCS punch would be very nice. Also, given the current culture of cars, many of us are just used (or even define) motoring w/ gobs of power. It's hard to argue with this...it's practically the default setting out there. That said, this is a Mini/MINI, and there is most definitely many ways of approaching the car since power is not necessarily it's sole defining characteristic....handling and fun is also part of the mix. In fact, one could also make a case that economy is, too, which makes the Cooper stand out. It's just a matter of how a owner finds themselves approaching the car as to whether the extra MCS power is desirable or not. That this is even a question to be asked says a lot about the other winning characteristics that also make MINIs great!! In many cases (other cars) there would be no debate...with MINIs there actually can be!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
Ya, but is it ever summer at the north pole?
It's freezing in summer. But it's Frrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeezing in winter.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:04 AM
jambo101
2nd Gear
As some one who is shopping for a used Mini the 05-06 Cooper vs Cooper S has me on a see saw,on the one hand i like the looks of the S,i like the standard options and the reserve power would be nice to have and the sound of the supercharger spooling up would become addicting.On the other hand how often would i realistically use this extra power, the Cooper has plenty of power compared to the 100hp econoboxes i've been driving (Echo and Yaris),my driving skills on a twisty road would keep any S owner honest,i like the idea of using regular octane gas,and i like the idea that i will never have expensive supercharger repairs,also the price of the justacooper vs the S can be significant.
My choice will probably come down to finding the right car at the right price at the right time,might be an S or it might be a non S,

Apologies to mods if this is posted in wrong section

Last edited by jambo101; 11-27-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 AM
bmwrider1015
2nd Gear
After owning a S since August I would have now gone with a Non S.
I think it is the american in us that we all want power S and when you
really come to the fact that if you are older and so much traffic that you
can not do what I did 40 years ago and race and go fast and that I do not want the police handing me tickets and higher insurance cost.
I drive 14 miles to work and with that trying to get the most out of mpg that I can with it..
I find that when I get on it at times I really do not like the torque steer the car shows and really feel like it wants to steer itself into a another lane.
Not a good feeling !
So on a interstate the S might shine there but the roads I travel 99% of time are not S roads and here in NJ the roads have lots of bumps that jar you and your car and leaves you to slowing down for these conditions..
My take and will to bet when you own one for few months you will feel the same..
Joe

Old 11-27-2008, 05:51 AM
mikegs
1st Gear
2 Cooper Garage

I have recently become a 2 Cooper family; my 08 Cooper and the wife's 09 Clubman S. While having the extra power of the S has an advantage when merging onto the freeway the Cooper gets me where I need to go. My reason for buying the Cooper was gas mileage; 60 mile commute each workday and trying to be a bit more environmentally conscious. The S is a ton of fun to drive but I certainly do not miss the S for 95% of my driving. How often will you utilize the turbo? You have to decide what your looking to get out of a rather large purchase; bottom line, both versions are fantastic vehicles.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:34 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwrider1015
After owning a S since August I would have now gone with a Non S.
I think it is the american in us that we all want power S and when you
really come to the fact that if you are older and so much traffic that you
can not do what I did 40 years ago and race and go fast and that I do not want the police handing me tickets and higher insurance cost.
I drive 14 miles to work and with that trying to get the most out of mpg that I can with it..
I find that when I get on it at times I really do not like the torque steer the car shows and really feel like it wants to steer itself into a another lane.
Not a good feeling !
So on a interstate the S might shine there but the roads I travel 99% of time are not S roads and here in NJ the roads have lots of bumps that jar you and your car and leaves you to slowing down for these conditions..
My take and will to bet when you own one for few months you will feel the same..
Joe
I'm a NJ driver on likely the same roads with an S, 17" wheels and sports suspension, and as an owner for 7 months, I disagree 100%. Would never give up my S for less power, and have no problems with the stiffer suspension that I'm not already used to. Love my MCS to pieces, you'd have to pry the key fob from my cold, lifeless hands ...

Old 11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
MiniU4ia
2nd Gear
"you'd have to pry the key fob from my cold, lifeless hands ..."

I'll get my pliers ...
Have a Happy Thanks Giving all

Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 AM
DChap
5th Gear
if you have to ask you want an S.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
"you'd have to pry the key fob from my cold, lifeless hands ..."

I'll get my pliers ...
Have a Happy Thanks Giving all
I'm just being real facetious because I really dislike how this thread ended up, and I dislike that it has to be resurrected every month (and yet I feel I have to post in it, go figure). Also to provide a counterpoint to all the points and ultimately, the fact that there is no right choice, that S vs. non-S is purely a personal choice based on personal needs and budget, and this thread has become pointless.

Happy Turkey Day to everyone, though

Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
there is no right choice, that S vs. non-S is purely a personal choice based on personal needs and budget, ergo this thread is dumb and utterly useless.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be aware that the 05-06 S does not get the great mileage that the 2007+ S gets. IIRC, it gets around 18 mpg. If you want to get that vintage MINI, I'd go for the non-S.