R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bought a Used MINI - Upholstery Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Brooks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a Used MINI - Upholstery Question

I have found a good deal on a used ’07 MCS in excellent condition and plan to pick it up next Saturday. I test drove it today and agreed to buy. The car is about a 3-hour drive from my home, so I will have to wait until next Saturday to see it again when I go to pick it up. I am now kicking myself for not taking pictures of it today.

I am curious about the upholstery in this MCS. The seller bought it off a lot and did not know much about the car details overall, but said the upholstery was leather. It definitely smells like leather, but it looks different from anything I have seen. It has a suede like material on the part of the seat sides that partly wrap around your upper sides and thighs and the hump between your legs at the front center of the seat. The center seat panels appear to be solid black leather. I don’t see anything like it on the ’08 configurator and it is not like the lounge leather, punch leather, or leatherette that I have seen on any ’07 or ’08 models at the dealer. Was this a ’07 option? It also has embroidered mini logos on the front seats I think it was in the neck area below the headrests.

To the best of my knowledge the overall build is:

MCS
PW/B
6-spd manual
S-Winder Wheels
MFSW
Sunroof
Leather Upholstery?
Auto Air/heat
Carpet Floor Mats

Price: $22,000 - Under 7000 miles

I had been planning to order a new mini but kept putting it off since the dealer was not offering any incentives, plus I could not decide on what options or even MCS vs MC. It does not have everything on it I wanted, but the price is right and I will not have to finance it.

I really wanted Xenon lights, so I may add some rally lights for better night vision. I’m not crazy about the S-winders, so I may purchase aftermarket black wheels later as well. Can you get anything ($) for used S-Winders either here on NAM or Ebay? It would be nice to have DCS and LSD but I don’t plan to track race and I didn’t want to spend the money for this on a new model anyway. If I find I need these other options I can always sell it in a year or so and get exactly what I want.

No doubt this mini was a blast to drive and I am very excited! I feel sure I will be thrilled with everything just the way it is. It’s going to be a very long week, but it certainly beats having to wait on a special ordered mini.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Sounds like you got you some custom MINI seats my friend. Enjoy!

Throw up some pics when you get a chance!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't recall anything like that for 2007. The seats contain airbags. If they are custom, they may not have them, reducing your safety in an accident. You should find out. A dealer may be able to help you. Find out where it was purchased and talk to that dealer.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I sounds a little like the leatherette sport seats, the hump in the middle is a give away. The parts you speak of are where the leatherette is porous allowing it to breath some which definitely gives it a unique texture.

The mini doesn't sound heavily optioned. If it is leatherette sport seats, which is standard on MCS, I'd be tempted to order new. New for that build with leathette sport seats probably isn't over 24,000. The two grand would be piece of mind that the mini was taken care of me by the get go.

Last edited by glangford; 01-21-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
I sounds a little like the leatherette sport seats, the hump in the middle is a give away. The parts you speak of are where the leatherette is porous allowing it to breath some which definitely gives it a unique texture.

The mini doesn't sound heavily optioned. If it is leatherette sport seats, which is standard on MCS, I'd be tempted to order new. New for that build with leathette sport seats probably isn't over 24,000. The two grand would be piece of mind that the mini was taken care of me by the get go.
He said he's seen the leatherette in person at a dealer and his is not the same. Plus he's got MINI logos in them.

Again I say show us pics!!! I want to see these things! They sound sweet!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, definitely sounds custom. Post up some pics and we'll be able to tell you for sure.

Good choice on color, by the way!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Floridabob
1st Gear
Aftermarket custom for sure. I saw this leather/suede combo on a nice Cooper base model in Orlando,FL. It looked sharp !

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you sure the bolsters weren't cloth? In that case it could be the cloth/leather combo. I've never seen this myself, but it's an offered option for '07.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Brooks
1st Gear
I will certainly post pictures after I pick it up on Saturday.

The seats have the airbag tag on them just like the other minis I have looked at, so I feel sure the airbags are fine. The seller bought this car new off a lot in Florida and said the dealer had added the embroidered logos, but wasn't sure about the leather. Sounds exactly like what Floridabob saw in Orlando.

I am pleased with the deal based on how Minis hold their value, plus it is next to impossible to find a low mile used '07 in my area (NC). A new one with just the sunroof and MFSW would be well over $24,000 after sales tax and dealer doc fees. So for $22,000 I am also getting the Auto AC/Heat and Leather Seats. The car has been garaged and still looks brand new. The owners were 60ish and non-smokers - a very nice couple I might add. I just wish Saturday would hurry up and get here!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
you sure the bolsters weren't cloth? In that case it could be the cloth/leather combo. I've never seen this myself, but it's an offered option for '07.
Bolsters are leather in the cloth/leather combo, not cloth. I have it.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Brooks
1st Gear
Picked her up today - photos

Old 01-27-2008, 03:38 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Dude, those seats are ILL!!! Love them!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
i8chilis
2nd Gear
I agree - those seats are really cool.

Congratulations...nice MINI.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
defintely not OEM but very attractive. Nice car

Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Those seats are spectacular! I've never seen them. Did you find out the story about them from the prior owners?

Gorgeous car by the way. I just love PW/B.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Brooks
1st Gear
Thanks for all the kind comments. I am thrilled with my purchase and the seats were like an added bonus. Driving the car home (170 miles) after picking it up on Saturday was a blast.

The prior owner bought the car new from Downtown Mini in Orlando, FL and the dealer had the leather upholstery added. The warranty card that came with it is from: http://classicsofttrim.com/index.html