North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Super hot spot near gas pedal drivers side, in center console R56 anyone notice? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/112726-super-hot-spot-near-gas-pedal-drivers-side-in-center-console-r56-anyone-notice.html)

fjork_duf 09-02-2007 06:19 PM

Super hot spot near gas pedal drivers side, in center console R56 anyone notice?

today is a pretty hot day so I've been running the A/C full blast with recirculate on. I realized my right leg was getting hot. So I reached down near the accelerator and noticed that there is a spot there on the plastic near the heating duct that is REALLY hot to the touch. Almost burning hot. Naturally I stick my hand underneath the plastic to touch a really hot piece of metal.

At first I thought it may be the amp for the stereo... but I drove home without the stereo on. But I did drive home with the a/c full blast with recirculate. Is that the fan motor down there? Any mini techs? anyone know? Is it normal for it to get 'burning' hot when full blast? Can any other people running their A/C full speed let me know?

I'm just wondering if it's normal or if I should have a tech look at it.

Thanks!

Xray'dit_Mini 09-02-2007 09:30 PM

it has nothing to do with the AC. I dont use my AC at all and it get super hot. There have been a few owners noticing this as well. I dont know if its a good or bad thing, or even some that has or will have a fix.

ChiliXer 09-02-2007 09:50 PM

Ill have to see next time I drive, but maybe its coming from the transmission and its linkages. The MINI is a pretty compact car so it could just be all the metal in the car conducting the heat throughout.

scott48 09-02-2007 10:10 PM

I've noticed it, but only at night for some reason.

wildone3c 09-03-2007 09:24 AM

Yeah I've noticed the same thing also. Sheesh I thought I was the only one. lol

harley0711 09-03-2007 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by fjork_duf (Post 1727616)
today is a pretty hot day so I've been running the A/C full blast with recirculate on. I realized my right leg was getting hot. So I reached down near the accelerator and noticed that there is a spot there on the plastic near the heating duct that is REALLY hot to the touch. Almost burning hot. Naturally I stick my hand underneath the plastic to touch a really hot piece of metal.

At first I thought it may be the amp for the stereo... but I drove home without the stereo on. But I did drive home with the a/c full blast with recirculate. Is that the fan motor down there? Any mini techs? anyone know? Is it normal for it to get 'burning' hot when full blast? Can any other people running their A/C full speed let me know?

I'm just wondering if it's normal or if I should have a tech look at it.

Thanks!

Let us know what you find - when reading this sentence, I had to laugh - you have to be male ?? - only a guy would would do this..lol

TheBigNewt 09-03-2007 09:33 AM

There was a thread from Arnbut about this in stock problems/fixes a couple months ago. It's the heating unit circulating hot water continuously (even with the heater off). Mini says it's normal and there's nothing you can do about it. Arnbut has measured the temperature there with his laser unit. I forget what he got. There was a thread about this on the other Mini forum too. I don't think mine gets as got as others have said, but it's definitely hotter there than other parts of the tunnel.

gokartride 09-03-2007 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1728399)
There was a thread from Arnbut about this in stock problems/fixes a couple months ago. It's the heating unit circulating hot water continuously (even with the heater off).

This is what I've heard, too. Not an issue on MCs.

fjork_duf 09-03-2007 10:13 AM

Hmm weird. I figure when the heating unit is off it shouldn't circulate water. It also seems that doesn't keep with the mini's efficiency feature set. The water pump that shuts off when it isn't needed etc...

Oh and to the other poster I am male. Hahha.

I've got a couple of small issues I think I will probably take it to the dealer at some point and ask about that.

brudgers 09-03-2007 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by gokartride (Post 1728408)
This is what I've heard, too. Not an issue on MCs.

I have the issue on my MC.

It's surprising how hot it gets - not hot enough to burn but you don't want to leave your hand on it.

korby 09-03-2007 01:49 PM

Yep , another hot spot !

Jinxy 09-03-2007 06:10 PM

Mine has read 143F using an IR Thermometer. I handed it to the Mini tech and had him measure it too.

Also, the hood temps just after parking the '07 MCS can reach 235F (near the scoop). Parked in a garage with no natural air movement is ideal to reach 235F. Outside with any kind of breeze helps keep it closer to 200F.

r56mini 09-03-2007 06:17 PM

212°F = 100°C. That is hot!

at7815 09-03-2007 06:37 PM

I have the same issue and just noticed it a couple of days ago...it felt REALLY hot! I have to go back to the dealer to get a rattle fixed so I will ask about this heat.

korby 09-03-2007 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jinxy (Post 1729335)
Mine has read 143F using an IR Thermometer. I handed it to the Mini tech and had him measure it too.

Also, the hood temps just after parking the '07 MCS can reach 235F (near the scoop). Parked in a garage with no natural air movement is ideal to reach 235F. Outside with any kind of breeze helps keep it closer to 200F.

When I park in my garage I open the bonnet.What did the tech say about the readings ?

Jinxy 09-03-2007 08:14 PM

He said he wasn't aware of the A-pillar heat issue and that turbo hoods get really hot. He said he would contact Mini to see if any other reported the issues.

He got back with me a few days later and said Mini doesn't have a fix for either issue at this point. I don't know if that means they are aware of it or not... or willing to acknowledge it.

I filed a safety complaint with NHTSA regarding the bonnet temps. 235F seemed excessive to me. I suggest all '07 MCS owners also report the issue as well.

I didn't report the A-pillar/footwell problem, as I didn't feel this was a safety issue.

fjork_duf 09-03-2007 10:05 PM

I'm not really sure what mini could do about external heat due to the turbo. That seems to just be something that would happen on a turbocharged car. Especially one that has the turbo mounted on the front of the engine.

The footwell problem however should and I'm sure can be fixed. There are a few things mini could do probably. The mostly likely thing I can think of is adding a new panely to help with the heat issue. Maybe something thicker with heat resistent properties. I do think mini needs to do the right thing and install a valve so the heat doesn't come into the cabin at all.

Dr Obnxs 09-03-2007 10:52 PM

Quick fix....

get some reflective thermal barrier. I got some for some tinkering, it's adhesive on one side, fiberglas mat, with reflective coating on the other. The reflections and insulation should keep the temps on the hood down. The same stuff (of a silicon closed cell foam) could do the same where the heater core is.

FWIW, lots of cars are dropping the heater valve... IT's just an extra part. They do the air temp setting with a blend door, mixing hot and cold air.... When you set it on "cold" it just doesn't send any air through the heater core. and maybe this is a good thing. A slow leak on a heater valve on an early rabbit I had ended up toasting an engine..... (yep, the temp light came on AFTER the pistons melted to the block!)

Matt

rkw 09-03-2007 10:55 PM

Here's the discussion on MINI2: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...nside-car.html

fjork_duf 09-03-2007 11:47 PM

FWIW, lots of cars are dropping the heater valve... IT's just an extra part. They do the air temp setting with a blend door, mixing hot and cold air.... When you set it on "cold" it just doesn't send any air through the heater core. and maybe this is a good thing. A slow leak on a heater valve on an early rabbit I had ended up toasting an engine..... (yep, the temp light came on AFTER the pistons melted to the block!)

Matt

So many new cars are now doing this? Maybe a thermal shield of some sort is the best fix. Hmm.

korby 09-04-2007 04:54 AM

How about a blower that blows the hot air out the bonnet scoop ?Any shield just traps the heat and cooks everything under the bonnet . IMO.

Arnbut 09-04-2007 05:05 AM

Jinxy --- what's your car's build date?
My new car doesn't get that hot on the bonnet and my center pillar is only 130 degrees.
My theory is that the newer cars have modified run times of the circulatory system and holes in the scoop to help offset bonnet temps...

MrBlah 09-04-2007 06:01 AM

I wonder if it was cost savings or weight savings that caused them to remove the valve that stops water flow into the heater core

every car I've owned, except the mini would stop the water flow at the firewall with a bypass valve, in fact, I just replaced the valve in my 1974 2002, it was stuck closed

Dr Obnxs 09-04-2007 06:50 AM

I think you're standards are erroding!

Originally Posted by Arnbut (Post 1729939)
my center pillar is only 130 degrees.

And while that is a lower number, it's still toasty!:wink:

Matt

ps I read about all your efforts on Mini2. Good job!

Arnbut 09-04-2007 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mega72 (Post 1729980)
I wonder if it was cost savings or weight savings that caused them to remove the valve that stops water flow into the heater core

I believe it is for heat transfer alone.