North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Add-on Driving Lights recommendation (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/110106-add-on-driving-lights-recommendation.html)

Pam 08-08-2007 06:43 PM

Add-on Driving Lights recommendation

I love my new MINI but am not happy with the lights. I posed this question in the Xenon vs. Standard lights thread but maybe it was in the wrong place and I got no response - hence the new thread.

I have the standard headlights. I've never liked the dims - the way they abruptly cut off the light a short distance from the car. I've never actually measured the distance in feet but the length is about the width of a normal residential street as I noted the other night when I was at an intersection. If you are on a country road (as we were last weekend) and meeting a car it's pretty limited visability. The brights are not that much better. They do fade out and don't have the abrupt cut off but we felt like we had to really slow down because we were critically overdriving the lights.

I plan to get them checked for proper height adjustment but I was also thinking about getting add-on driving lights. MINI charges $725 for their add-ons installed. What do you all think of their package, price, and will they help me see better? I understand they would only work in conjunction with the brights.

Are there any you would recommend and how difficult is installation?

Thanks ahead for any input.

gos1 08-09-2007 05:34 PM

Driving lights

Hello Pam,

I have the Xeon lights and the driving lights too. The Xeons are bright and very focused in a plane of light extending in front of the car. The driving lights add an "all around" illumination to scene. I do like the extra light they throw off and so drive with them engaged at night in conjunction with my high beams. Also, i had to get them because of their style....

Here is a link to my reply to the mellow yellow thread about what they look like: #96

Pam 08-09-2007 05:45 PM

gos1 -

Thanks for the input. - beautiful car! I have BRG/W and have been having second thoughts about MY/W.....am enjoying my car and it is beautiful...maybe MY/W next time. It's so hard to choose....want one of every color.

Did you have MINI install your lights? Did you order them or were they after market? They look great. I seem to need the extra light but have to admit wouldn't mind the additional styling they bring too.

gos1 08-09-2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 1681379)
gos1 -

Thanks for the input. - beautiful car! I have BRG/W and have been having second thoughts about MY/W.....am enjoying my car and it is beautiful...maybe MY/W next time. It's so hard to choose....want one of every color.

Did you have MINI install your lights? Did you order them or were they after market? They look great. I seem to need the extra light but have to admit wouldn't mind the additional styling they bring too.

I had the Mini Dealer install them when i recieved delivery of the cooper. It was very pricy but the lights look so nice and provide good light. The job the dealer did was was great.