North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   R55 Terrible Misfire, Cylinder 2 not firing. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/339019-r55-terrible-misfire-cylinder-2-not-firing.html)

James Conant 05-17-2019 07:51 PM

R55 Terrible Misfire, Cylinder 2 not firing.

Hello everyone, Just a quick head's up this is being written through a phone so sorry for bad grammar and what not.

So to start I was on my way up to MA all fine and dandy weeks and months leading up to the trip. I got 75% of the way through Connecticut and Boom, very bad hesitation misfire a bad smell and no power of the line. Terrible... just terrible.

I Get it towed home, thanks grandpa. I get it home I read the codes and I'm having a misfire in all my Cylinders but a random misfire code, also have a code for thermostat stuck open. (Auto zone read these)

-Is it possible a stuck thermostat would cause a misfire? Hmmmmmmm I see no correlation their.-

I get my Dads Fixed OBDll reader and I get more codes then I did before, I get a code for a lean O2 ,downstream I believe. Also get a code for my cat? And it said possible cause HPFP ( High pressure fuel pump). I changed The HPFP 3 times already. Well here goes the fourth.....Didn't work.

So were do I go now? None of these codes don't really seem like a misfire cause... maybe the O2 sensor but from what I've been reading likely not the case..

I changed the spark plugs, I moved around coils and problems still their? I unplugged coils packs one at a time to see if I could hear and audible change.. the one cylinder not firing or making any sort of change to the engine is Cylinder 2.

I love this car, this is my first car... I have no money for another... please help me ASAP.. any input would be appreciated.

Scudder44 05-17-2019 11:22 PM

May I suggest doing a cylinder compression test and oil pressure test, if they are good you should look at your timing chain for wear and slack. What you appear to have are symptoms of bad timing. I am not saing definitively but if the chain has never been changed or is around the 50-70K miles mark it will be well on it's way to destruction. Misfires and O2 sensor due to timing issues. The compression and oil pressure test is to check the engine is worth spending cash on.
Cylinder 2 could be valve related hence the pressure test and if bad, head off and repair.
Best of luck.

James Conant 05-18-2019 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Scudder44 (Post 4470403)
May I suggest doing a cylinder compression test and oil pressure test, if they are good you should look at your timing chain for wear and slack. What you appear to have are symptoms of bad timing. I am not saing definitively but if the chain has never been changed or is around the 50-70K miles mark it will be well on it's way to destruction. Misfires and O2 sensor due to timing issues. The compression and oil pressure test is to check the engine is worth spending cash on.
Cylinder 2 could be valve related hence the pressure test and if bad, head off and repair.
Best of luck.

That is my next step. I will be doing a compression test today. I really hope it's not that... that is my worst fear.... :c

Thanks for the help, I really really appreciate it, you have no idea. I will keep the thread updated.

Are these engines non interference?

MiniToBe 05-22-2019 11:46 AM

any updates?

These engines are interfering.

when you took the spark plugs out, how were they?