Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+)
Hey in need of some ADVICE. problems with mini!! >

Hey in need of some ADVICE. problems with mini!!

R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

Hey in need of some ADVICE. problems with mini!!

  #1  
Old 04-09-2019, 11:37 PM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey in need of some ADVICE. problems with mini!!

Hey y’all my name is Keith and I’m quite new here..
I have a 09 mini clubman s
ive been having constant overheating problems with the car
what I’ve done so far:
• replace thermostat housing
• replace water pump
• replaced coolant hoses
• did about 4 coolant flushes


I brought it to a Mini Cooper repair shop and they were great people.. BUT they can’t seem to find the problem. They suggest it’s a blown head gasket but then they sent it to a bmw shop to inspect it. They did inspection for only an hour(not much can really come from that because it wasn’t enough time to fully dive into it IMO) I’m just wrought with anxiety over my baby not running. The bmw shop said to replace engine and I don’t feel that be necessary because the car runs with no noises but just over heats and blows a little bit of white smoke. Can anybody give me some pointers. I was thinking about going to sneed for speed and purchasing a new cylinder head, arp header bolts, and a head gasket. Is there some thought her on my plan of action??
 
  #2  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 AM
MiniToBe's Avatar
MiniToBe
MiniToBe is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 3,231
Received 197 Likes on 189 Posts
welcome to forum brother...

Minis have MLS head gasket and IMO, they dont "blow" perse! recently, i bought a thermostat housing and it seemed to have a new temp sensor. my fan kept running and the temp wasnt moving. at any rate, few things to check:
1- coolant temp, live data
2- coolant pipes properly connected
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0393
(manual transmission) https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1555
(automatic transmission) https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1593
3- does your fan run?
 
  #3  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:04 PM
94aero
94aero is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What temp do you call overheating? Normal is between 208 and 221 deg.
 
  #4  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a shop replace all coolant hoses with mishimoto hoses and everything all tidied up. I’m at a loss of direction on where I should head. Also by over heating I mean that the red overheating warning comes on. Everything has been replace coolant wise.
 
  #5  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe View Post
welcome to forum brother...

Minis have MLS head gasket and IMO, they dont "blow" perse! recently, i bought a thermostat housing and it seemed to have a new temp sensor. my fan kept running and the temp wasnt moving. at any rate, few things to check:
1- coolant temp, live data
2- coolant pipes properly connected
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0393
(manual transmission) https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1555
(automatic transmission) https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1593
3- does your fan run?
my fan does run and how do you check live data?
 
  #6  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM
secondhandr55
secondhandr55 is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunchbox62 View Post
my fan does run and how do you check live data?
Do you get any codes on the scanner?

The fan does run on two different velocities. When the resistor goes bad, one of the two velocities either change to move slower or won't move at all. Try to check if you hear the speed of the fan changing when it becomes hot. Also, if the thermostat is aftermarket, it might have a bad temperature sensor, happens all the time. Switch back to the old sensor just to rule it out.
 
  #7  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by secondhandr55 View Post
Do you get any codes on the scanner?

The fan does run on two different velocities. When the resistor goes bad, one of the two velocities either change to move slower or won't move at all. Try to check if you hear the speed of the fan changing when it becomes hot. Also, if the thermostat is aftermarket, it might have a bad temperature sensor, happens all the time. Switch back to the old sensor just to rule it out.
i think my old housing was thrown out unfortunately should I buy another just in case? Also side not the repair shop said my oil seemed milky? But the engine never makes a noise. Should I try to replace the head gasket? Also the only codes the car sent was misfiring cylinder
 
  #8  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 PM
secondhandr55
secondhandr55 is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Misfiring and milky oil are indications of blown head gasket. It shouldn't make noises. Blown head gaskets just make the car overheat unless you give it a long drive while overheating in which case the coolant will boil and the car will sputter and shut down.
 
  #9  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by secondhandr55 View Post
Misfiring and milky oil are indications of blown head gasket. It shouldn't make noises. Blown head gaskets just make the car overheat unless you give it a long drive while overheating in which case the coolant will boil and the car will sputter and shut down.
my car hasn’t sputtered or shut down. And the bmw dealership say to replace engine. As you know those (stealer)ships wouldn’t put in time to fully look into the problem so I decided to take things into my own hands. I was also thinking about buying a replacement head after I replace head gasket if that doesn’t seem to be the cure
 
  #10  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:01 AM
grunte
grunte is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 23
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 Headgasket.
 
  #11  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 AM
knt
knt is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 75
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has the system been bleed properly?
 
  #12  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it has I just don’t know what else it could be other then a head gasket
 
  #13  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 AM
MiniToBe's Avatar
MiniToBe
MiniToBe is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 3,231
Received 197 Likes on 189 Posts
run live data via a more advanced reader.

Do you get hot air inside the car when you turn on the heater?

did you check the hoses as i mentioned before?

are you loosing coolant?

where are you located?
 
  #14  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Lunchbox62
Lunchbox62 is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m in Colorado Springs. I don’t have hot air coming in when I turn in hot but it does get hot here and there. This all started acting weird when it started overheating
 
  #15  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:39 PM
knt
knt is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 75
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do some test to see if it's the head gasket.

You can check on YouTube.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
laddken
1st Gear
9
02-07-2018 08:13 PM
Melly Fresh
1st Gear
14
01-09-2018 11:48 AM
mdrew0307
Stock Problems/Issues
27
07-05-2017 11:37 AM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
9
01-24-2012 02:45 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey in need of some ADVICE. problems with mini!!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: