Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Almost TOTAL Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:22 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost TOTAL Confusion

Evening Gents. I'm having an "issue" with my 2008 Clubman S and I'm getting nowhere with my local dealership. Just pretty darn fed up with them. Nuf said...

Here's the problem... I continuously get this light on my clubman...

I've been told everything from a vacuum pump problem to the turbocharger, or turbo waistgate going bad. Not sure "why" the waistgate was mentioned, because if that's what it is, it can't be replaced by itself. Either way it's a complete turbocharger replacement! The maddening thing is - the car seems to run - just fine! It's not stumbling, missing, etc. Sometimes the light will go out - on it's own and other times, I have to intervene - usually by removing the negative terminal on the battery while the car is still warm. And by the next time I drive it - at least 6 hours - the light's out. However - having the car in the wrong gear and giving it a little too much gas, seems to trigger the light to come back on! Doesn't always have to be with me giving it gas either! I can still press the car a little hard (no higher than 5K RPM's in any gear) and the car doesn't hiccup, sound funny, or act sick. There are 2 things that I have noticed though: 1) shortly after startup and driving a small distance, when I stop, I smell something that seems like it's burning. The first couple of times I smelled it, I stopped the car, got out and checked under the hood. The ONLY thing I could figure was some oil on the engine after having the timing chain and chain guide recently replaced. The engine block - under the vacuum pump - doesn't look like it's got oil on it, nor is there any oil pooled on top of the transmission, which are signs of a bad vacuum pump. 2) I also use to hear a little "whistle" between gear shifts and attributed it to the turbo spooling down a bit between shifts. I don't hear that anymore. Even with all this - the car runs fine?! At least as far as I can tell. But... for this stupid light to keep coming on SOMETHING'S wrong somewhere!

So - I thought I'd bring my issue here - hoping and praying someone smarter than myself could help shed some light on this! I'm going to an independent dealer in the morning to have this light read and find out what the exact code is.

If it "IS" the turbocharger going bad, I think I can replace it, but I'm honestly just not sure what to replace the existing turbocharger with?! I understand BorgWarner makes one of the best on the market and I'm hoping for something other than a Mini part. I've not been very pleased with the few parts I've had to replace that "required" a direct Mini replacement! And if I've gotta' replace the turbocharger, I thought I might go a bit larger to offer me a little excitement when I press on the gas!

So... ANY help you can offer, would most greatly be appreciated!

Old 02-15-2019, 06:43 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Do the plugs tell you anything? Just asking as its always the go-to place to check engine condition.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:04 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Do the plugs tell you anything? Just asking as its always the go-to place to check engine condition.
Unfortunately - no. That's why this is so frigging confusing!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd say go to a MINI certified mechanic or dealership and have them read the code being stored in the ECU. Or get your own OBD2 reader and use the torque app. Either way the code will narrow down significantly where to look.

Doubt your turbo is broken or anything, quick check would be remove inlet tube, reach in and spin the inducer. If you hear any contact replace turbo since bearings would be shot. I got that warning from a rogue Camshaft sensor reading once

Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
When this used to happen with my mini, i found a vaccum hose slipped out of the canister under the intake manifold. Take a look under there

Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 AM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
When this used to happen with my mini, i found a vaccum hose slipped out of the canister under the intake manifold. Take a look under there
Worth a try. Any kind of diagram or photo you could offer regarding the placement of said vacuum hose canister? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Check the vacuum hose connected to the bottom of the vacuum pump. And follow it to the vacuum canister below the breather. A small amount of oil seeps past the vacuum pump when the engine is not running. It swells the hose at those two points and it almost falls off the fittings. Remove the breather base to see the small tank mounted next to the engine. This is for the turbo vacuum solenoid.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:59 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluemax61
Worth a try. Any kind of diagram or photo you could offer regarding the placement of said vacuum hose canister? Thanks!
it is right under the intake manifold. You might be able to squeeze a hand if you remove the intake box and noise maker. It also sits behing the starter.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear

here is the vacuum pump connection and the oily top of the canister with the two nipples exposed.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:16 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear

here is the swollen oily vacuum line. I will never have this happen again. I've installed an electric vacuum pump.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:09 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
UPDATE...

Well - you guys were partially right. Exactly where you stated, I found a vacuum line off. I replaced the hose with a little smaller diameter tubing and had the code reset. Barely got the car home and the light came back on again!

So, I had it checked again and this time - no codes were evident, even though the light was still on. I had the light cleared again. I've driven the car for the past 2 days on my daily commute (126 miles round trip) with the light staying out. I know these cars use oil so, I checked the oil level last evening and added a quart this morning before leaving for work. Drove to work - no problem. When I left to come home this afternoon, I once again, began smelling the oil burning smell that I mentioned in my 1st post! I notice a light amount of steady smoke coming from under the hood and coming out of the hood scoop. This seems to happen primarily when the correct amount of oil is present. The smoke seemed to be coming from under this area...

Within a short few minutes, the smoke seemed to stop, although I could occasionally still smell the oil burning smell. About a third of the way home, this stupid light came on again!! I drove straight over to my friends place to have the code checked. Here's what it read...

He stated that this indicated a possible pressure issue on the cold side of the turbo, although he didn't have information for the actual code: 2885. He also said he could smell the burning oil smell. Now I'm wondering if the smoke and smell could be coming from under the vacuum pump. I'm so confused now, I'm not even sure where to begin! I've had the light cleared - again - but there's no question it'll end up coming back on again.

Any ideas guys?! Is it the turbo going bad, or maybe another vacuum hose loose under the breather box. I have NO clue. ANY HELP greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:39 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
It is good that one issue is out of the way. I think you should work on each trouble area one at a time. If it's leaking under the vacuum pump, try to clean and dry the area and monitor for leaks or go ahead to replace the o ring. Also, notice the oil filter cap if it's tight enough. One step at a time.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Following

Old 02-22-2019, 05:58 AM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Turbo oil feed line, oil cooler/filter and vacuum pump are all know mini oil leak locations. They are all located in the general vicinity of the smoke. If its burning then it has to be pretty close to the exhaust manifold as it gets to 1000 degrees from the cat converter. The turbo oil feed line and oil cooler/filter housing is closer to the exhaust.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by I like mini clubman's
Turbo oil feed line, oil cooler/filter and vacuum pump are all know mini oil leak locations. They are all located in the general vicinity of the smoke. If its burning then it has to be pretty close to the exhaust manifold as it gets to 1000 degrees from the cat converter. The turbo oil feed line and oil cooler/filter housing is closer to the exhaust.
Wherever it is - it's burning off the oil before it can leak onto my driveway! Thanks for your continued help! I'll start where you suggested and see what I can find - you certainly were right with your last post.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:45 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That’s not a check engine light it’s limp mode. Check all your hoses on the intake side. The rubber hose that hooks the intake to the turbo is a known problem area. The oil leak could be a number of areas possible the oil feed line or the oil filter housing

Old 02-23-2019, 06:42 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
These sound suspiciously familiar, lol. Not saying this is the same thing but it is something to check. First off, from the symptoms you described, it sounds like almost exactly the same symptoms I had. My wastegate was bad and needed a new turbo. It still worked somewhat, but was not closing tightly. I bought an upgrade from JMTC and am very happy with it.
The oil burning smell and smoke I had as well. The oil filter housing gaskets were leaking. But it never left a drop on the ground. It was dripping onto the exhaust and burning off. It’s worth checking, it’s a known leak area.