R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 HKS Super SQV4 swap to N18 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 AM
noor2003
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Super SQV4 swap to N18 engine

Hello, everyone, I had an R56 S with HKS Super SQV4 kit, installed it my self and been with it for two years, now I have bought my new baby R55 JCW with N18 ,most beautiful car specs I ever found in a mini, anyway I tried to remove the BOV from my old car and fit it there, everything fits, but it doesn't make any sound, since I didn't fit this one my self I decided to take look at the kit installed, found out that there is one pipe (I think noise maker) that goes into the dashboard from engine bay, that one already doesn't exist in my car, thus there would be one hose hole that has no purpose and it's open, now I tried to close it (found a metal part that fits perfectly into the hole and places there with some epoxy to seal it up) , made the circulation closed as it supposed to be, tried it , no luck, still no sound (it does make sound if I pressed hard, and it sounded like a squirrel who was choking out of dehydration) ! I have returned everything to stock now for the current being. Any help would be appreciated on how to install this successfully?

I will attach a pic of how my kits looks like and the hole placement of the doubtful-to-be-the problem

excuse my simple grammars

Old 02-07-2019, 07:02 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I think your biggest problem is the vacuum source needed for opening the valve. Typically, you run the vacuum line to the intake manifold, and when the throttle closes, the valve opens and vents. On the N18 engine, there is no vacuum in the manifold during normal operation, which means the valve will not open.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 AM
noor2003
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I think your biggest problem is the vacuum source needed for opening the valve. Typically, you run the vacuum line to the intake manifold, and when the throttle closes, the valve opens and vents. On the N18 engine, there is no vacuum in the manifold during normal operation, which means the valve will not open.
thanks for quick response , i thought both n14 and n18 have identical air flow system , onky difference is that stock noise maker was removed by MINI .

so what do you suggest ? I dont want to fit Froge BOV or any similar BOV thats goes directly to the turbo , its just a sound addition not as performance one , plus i am extremely happy with the kit that i have , i think i should de-attach the valve from HKS stock air pipe, fabricate new T pipe and fix it . Ofc am spitballing i dont have much knowledge in this department . So is there a way ?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by noor2003
thanks for quick response , i thought both n14 and n18 have identical air flow system , onky difference is that stock noise maker was removed by MINI .

so what do you suggest ? I dont want to fit Froge BOV or any similar BOV thats goes directly to the turbo , its just a sound addition not as performance one , plus i am extremely happy with the kit that i have , i think i should de-attach the valve from HKS stock air pipe, fabricate new T pipe and fix it . Ofc am spitballing i dont have much knowledge in this department . So is there a way ?
The system design is mechanically similar, but the control logic is much different. You are going to engineer a bunch of things to get that SQV4 to work on your N18 engine.

If you think the SQV4 is a performance addition and not just sound... well, no. If you want performance, you want the GFB GV+ add-on for the OEM diverter valve, or even the latest revision of the OEM diverter valve.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
The GFB DV+ is a nice addition for holding more boost on the N18. I have one that I use both springs in and it works great. Nice metal piston too! And the ECU retains control using the factory solenoid.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 AM
noor2003
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
The system design is mechanically similar, but the control logic is much different. You are going to engineer a bunch of things to get that SQV4 to work on your N18 engine.

If you think the SQV4 is a performance addition and not just sound... well, no. If you want performance, you want the GFB GV+ add-on for the OEM diverter valve, or even the latest revision of the OEM diverter valve.
ive already brought the improved OEM diverter (comes with 8 holes instead of typical 4) .

so , in conclusion I can't fit the BOV I have, at last you can suggest which brand to fit ? You have something in mind?
thanks