R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Defenders of Speed intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM
IAmNotSkynet
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Defenders of Speed intake

Just curious what happened to this concept and company? I have been doing some googling and really like the idea of getting fresh air from outside the engine bay. Does anyone still have one of these? Just starting another engine intake conversation.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
More info here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-business.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-31-2018, 01:14 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The stock air filter draws the air from the front of the car, so you already have a cold air intake which works very well. If you want a little more noise, you can get the factory JCW Tuning Kit air filter and housing which is another great intake.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:45 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
You are correct to be looking at getting air from outside the engine bay, on a turbo motor minimizing intake air temperature is important. That's why intercooler upgrades are popular. Changing the intake will do little, if anything for performance on the N14/N18, though it can get you a bit more noise. ECS was too classy to bring up their own offering, https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...Intake_System/ which I have. Beautifully constructed carbon fiber, and a slight increase in growl from the engine.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-04-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 07:34 PM
IAmNotSkynet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
The stock air filter draws the air from the front of the car, so you already have a cold air intake which works very well. If you want a little more noise, you can get the factory JCW Tuning Kit air filter and housing which is another great intake.
I do agree that it works really well, I am just kind of bored and don't have any projects going on so was really looking for inputs on this idea of intake. I don't think it would be any worse that what is currently on the car, just mulling around some ideas.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:36 PM
IAmNotSkynet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
You are correct to be looking at getting air from outside the engine bay, on a turbo motor minimizing intake air temperature is important. That's why intercooler upgrades are popular. Changing the intake will do little, if anything for performance on the N14/N18, though it can get you a bit more noise. ECS was too classy to bring up their own offering, https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...Intake_System/ which I have. Beautifully constructed carbon fiber, and a slight increase in growl from the engine.
I'm thinking of ALL ways to cool down the air entering the engine so intercooler, new piping, intake, heat shields (plural) among other ideas. That engine bay is just incredibly hot so even though that airbox is in enclosed, I still feel like it has some sort of heat soak. I'm just looking for projects at this point.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 PM
squawSkiBum
if you're looking for projects and want to reduce IATs -
1) FMIC upgrade
2) replace the plastic insert in the hood scoop with something that will allow some airflow (MiniFini, fine mesh screen from the hardware store, etc.)
3) delete the turbo muffler
4) turbo wrap

Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Thanks for posting up. Yes it is very nice and I have it in the daily summer car.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The DOS show's up in intake conversations fairly often, the company has since stopped creating the intake. Get a K&N Orion or Apollo (I have an Apollo you can have, just pay shipping) and mount it the same way the DOS gets mounted, It's super easy.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:39 PM
IAmNotSkynet
1st Gear
if you're looking for projects and want to reduce IATs -
1) FMIC upgrade
2) replace the plastic insert in the hood scoop with something that will allow some airflow (MiniFini, fine mesh screen from the hardware store, etc.)
3) delete the turbo muffler
4) turbo wrap
Delete the turbo muffler? I suppose I can do a google search on this, but since we're having a discussion do you mind explaining how this will dissipate heat?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:40 PM
IAmNotSkynet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Qik420
The DOS show's up in intake conversations fairly often, the company has since stopped creating the intake. Get a K&N Orion or Apollo (I have an Apollo you can have, just pay shipping) and mount it the same way the DOS gets mounted, It's super easy.
I'd gladly take the Apollo off your hands if you're willing to pass it along. Shoot me a PM and we can work out details! Thanks!

Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmNotSkynet
Delete the turbo muffler? I suppose I can do a google search on this, but since we're having a discussion do you mind explaining how this will dissipate heat?
There are different ways of deleting the resonator, but the simplest is Way's -
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-re...7-r58-r59.html

Check YouTube for some instructions.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:41 PM
squawSkiBum
Originally Posted by IAmNotSkynet
I should have put the turbo muffler delete last on the list, as any reduction in IATs would only be slight, if any. Some of the delete options are metal pipe, there's even one that has fins on it, and any improvement in airflow should theoretically help reduce the air temp on the way to the intercooler. It was more a "while you're in there, as long as you're looking for projects" suggestion. The turbo wrap keeps the exhaust heat in the turbo which should improve efficiency and reduce under-hood heat, that combined with the improved airflow from the hood scoop should (again theoretically) reduce any heat gain to the intake air. Really those would be distant 2nd order effects, only the intercooler will have a significant effect on IAT.