R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Need Help Opening Rear Split Doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:31 PM
RockyRoad
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Opening Rear Split Doors

It seems the right electronic hatch lock on the rear split door went bad. When I pressed the 3rd button on my key fob or the door handle, and I hear the hitch lock whine and won't disengage and get the door to open.

I searched through the forum who reported a similar issue, but I'm still having trouble manually to open the door. I tried to remove the door panel, so I manually pry the latch open, and I'm having trouble to remove the door panel while both doors are closed.

Any advice is great appreciated.

Thank You!

Old 10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Here is the break down of the door locks i would start trying to trigger and unlock those.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...4-clubman.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-13-2016, 03:36 PM
RockyRoad
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Here is the break down of the door locks i would start trying to trigger and unlock those.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...4-clubman.html
Thank you! The issue was the right door. I was able to figure out on how to remove the rear panel and manually opened the door.

I may also replace the left hatch door lock even it is still operational.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
You are welcome. Always here to help.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Minirodz
Neutral
Hi, My wife's Clubman 2009 had the same issues. The right side latch was jammed and couldn't pop open or even open manually from the outside.
I've tried every possible way recommended in previous posts and no success. I had to poke/punch the latch with a flathead screwdriver. It was difficult to do from inside the vehicle, I tried to remove the plastic cover from the door but it's all inaccessible when both doors are closed/locked.
There is also the latch protective cover, it's a thick rubber that prevents possible injuries (keep young kids from poking their fingers).
I managed to open the doors and removed the electric door latch.

IMHO, these doors are poorly designed by Mini Cooper. I've read other posts were people express their concerns in case of an accident. I totally agree with those concerns specially when my wife and son are in the vehicle. I even reported this issues back in May 2017 to the NHTSB and apparently it went of deaf ears, no response at all from them.

I found the part in Amazon under the vendor Mini Mania for $65.95 + $7.45 shipping. The part number is:
G2NMX1150

Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Minirodz
Neutral
Finally out after 3 hours
Plastic coating peeling.
Another angle.
Closed the door using ratchet strap. Hooked to one of the backrest loops.
Closed the door using ratchet strap until I receive the new latch.