R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Wheelspin in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheelspin in first gear

Hey there fellow Clubby owners… I have found that my 2008 S Clubman has a tendency to peel out really easily starting from a dead stop in first gear. I'm not popping the clutch nor am I over revving the engine but I do have to slip it in a little bit to avoid wheelspin. I am currently running on a set of almost new Yokohama YK 580s. They have proper inflation and plenty of tread but have done this from the beginning. It is worth noting that my previous set of tires were very worn Walmart purchased Goodrides which also spun equally as easily but generally rode a little stiffer than these Yokohama's.

I guess what I am wondering is whether the Clubman is more prone to front wheel spin on acceleration due to having more weight in the rear than the R 56 which the suspension would have been normally designed for or is this indicative of some weak point in my suspension? I do believe I need to replace my rear struts which may be contributing to a little tail squat ( unconfirmed ) although it is not noticeable when driving.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Can’t find much information n those tires, but what I could find shows a high treadwear rating. This usually equates to a harder compound. A harder compound will give slightly less traction, and a greater tendency to slip. The Mini engines have a high amount of torque at lower engine rpms. Add all this up, and you have a greater tendency to “peel out.”

Old 09-19-2017, 10:11 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
That's a good point! I got these with my wheels and figured "They're Yoko street tires with a pretty aggressive tread, so... But yeah, maybe they are a little too hard of a compound for the torque of the engine. My suspension is totally stock and could probably do with a little help anyway. Its all saving up the money to change it out afterall. :p

Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
my r56 spun out easy too, it's the nature of front wheel drive

Old 09-19-2017, 04:36 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Seems like tire compound to me. You might take a peek at Tirerack and see what the ratings are for your version. Load rating and whether its H or V rated? They might be over inflated as well. Check your door jam and compare the inflation sticker to your actual readings. Best result when your tires are cold and than compare to heated tires after highway driving. Your PSI will change between the two. That range will be helpful when deciding what you like.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Seems like tire compound to me. You might take a peek at Tirerack and see what the ratings are for your version. Load rating and whether its H or V rated? They might be over inflated as well. Check your door jam and compare the inflation sticker to your actual readings. Best result when your tires are cold and than compare to heated tires after highway driving. Your PSI will change between the two. That range will be helpful when deciding what you like.
Good ideas... I actually wanted a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's but Firestone wouldn't give me any credit for the old (practically new) tires like Discount Tire might and Discount didn't seem to offer anything very different from the Yoko that I had, so I'm running them.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
the problem is not your tires it's your foot, it's a front wheel drive car

Old 09-20-2017, 04:58 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
the problem is not your tires it's your foot, it's a front wheel drive car
Ha, ha...

You should have seen me drift a '69 Town & Country station wagon and a Lincoln Mark IV as a teen.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:17 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Tires - I have difficulty breaking my fresh RE71's but my older HTRZIII's will get loose pretty easily.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:32 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
yeah those will fix his problem lol, the most sticky street legal tires you can get, they also only last me a couple thousand miles

Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Black Label Tools
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R56devotion
I believe you said you have replaced the tires. If you are not running the same brand and model of tires that it came with then the air pressure guide on the door jam will most likely be inaccurate. Always go with the Cold PSI rating on the sidewall of your tire. You may be running the same size as what came on it from the factory but running a different brand might require a different PSI. The factory PSI label required by the DOT is for stock applications and as long as you are running the original size, brand, and style of tire that came on it when purchased new. ALWAYS go with what is on the sidewall of the tire for PSI info.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Thank you Bugeye and Black Label for your comments. Those are some useful ideas to follow up on.