R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 AM
Black Label Tools
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear Wing

Has anyone found a decent rear wing / rear spoiler for the Clubman? I realize the application is limiting because of the barn doors, but I can't find anything other than a pretty low profile, cheap looking, rear wing. Seems there are plenty of aggressive options for standard Mini Coopers but nothing that I can find for the Clubman. Any info and links would be greatly appreciated.
BLT / Texas

The following users liked this post:
RoadTripMachine (01-31-2023)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
There are two options:
Basic Clubman accessory rear spoiler:
https://www.waymotorworks.com/clubman-roof-spoiler.html

JCW accessory rear spoiler:
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...r_spoiler.html

In my opinion, the JCW option is a little much. My Clubman has the lower spoiler version, and I feel it compliments the lines very well.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 AM
Black Label Tools
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
There are two options:
Basic Clubman accessory rear spoiler:
https://www.waymotorworks.com/clubman-roof-spoiler.html

JCW accessory rear spoiler:
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...r_spoiler.html

In my opinion, the JCW option is a little much. My Clubman has the lower spoiler version, and I feel it compliments the lines very well.
Thanks for the info. These are the only two I have seen. These are pretty soft core **** compared to what I am looking for. I am looking for something more along the lines of a GT series wing, auto cross style, something that will actually work. Neither of those two options will create any downforce on the rear of the car what so ever. Those are merely aesthetic pieces. Not functional. I do appreciate the effort though. More than most......

Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
What do you have planned for the front end? With more down force in the rear, I imagine you will exaggerate the tendency for under steer.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Black Label Tools
1st Gear
What do you have planned for the front end? With more down force in the rear, I imagine you will exaggerate the tendency for under steer.
The weight of the engine alone will offset most of the added downforce on the rear. Added rear downforce doesn't translate to creating understeer at the front. But I am shopping adjustable splitters for the front just to add a bit more downforce to the front. Look at top fuel dragsters for example. They have a rear wing the size of a 747, the engine is in the rear, and hardly anything up front. Yes there is normally a tiny wing up front but with that line of logic it would be doing a wheelie the entire length of the track.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
You might be forgetting about leverage when talking about a top fuel dragster. That "tiny" wing is hanging WAY out front of that long-*** body.

Adding down force in the rear will increase traction in the back, which most Mini's don't need. They have a pretty good camber curve on the rear wheels that helps them hold the rear as the body moves around. The front, on the other hand, has a terrible camber curve, since its a strut type suspension. And has pretty aggressive bump stops which causes the front to go pretty stiff, increasing tendency to under steer. Not a great combination.

If I were in your position, looking for more vehicle stability, I would get the aero 2 front bumper (GP2 style), add the GP2 undertray, then find a set of coilovers to lower the car to a point where you can still drive around without scraping everything. After that, add a front splitter, and see how the car behaves. THEN, figure out some alignment specs, and maybe add a rear sway bar.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:05 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
So... all that being said, I would think it would be cool to see a Clubman rocking one of these:
http://shop.aprperformance.com/index...product_id=201

Of course, you would need something pretty aggressive in the front to balance the look.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

If I were in your position, looking for more vehicle stability, I would get the aero 2 front bumper (GP2 style), add the GP2 undertray, then find a set of coilovers to lower the car to a point where you can still drive around without scraping everything. After that, add a front splitter, and see how the car behaves. THEN, figure out some alignment specs, and maybe add a rear sway bar.
I'm in the process of doing something similar to what you've described. My '09 Clubman JCW came with the JCW rear wing, I've added a GP2 undertray, I've installed Bilstein shocks with FatCat bumpers, NM springs (1.2 inch drop), an NM front splitter, and a Hotchkiss hollow rsb. I've also added the small Clubman underbody panels (short ones right in front of the rear axle - with rear and mid panels to come), IE fixed camber plates, and an air dam with inlets for brake cooling. Current alignment settings are -1.8 and -1.9 front camber (L/R), -1.2 and -1.3 dgrees rear camber (L/R), .09" and .09" front toe< and .07" and .06" rear toe (L/R). All of this isn't complete yet, so I can't provide any track feedback. I ran an autoX yesterday and the suspension setup felt pretty good to me, although I'm not an experienced autoX'r. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:37 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been looking for some sort of Clubman applicable wing or aerodynamic device too, but not for looks or downforce but to force air around to the rear window to help keep it cleaner. I know that the Kammback design of the Clubman purposely creates a vacuum behind the rear that's supposed to cleanly detach the slipstream, but the resulting road grime being sucked up onto the rear doors and windows is a bit of a nuisance and makes an otherwise clean car look unkempt.

Does anyone have any ideas about reducing road grime sucking up onto the rear surfaces?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Well we carry Leap ( Leap works ) now so we have many options for the R55 Clubman crowd. Carbon fiber and Molded FRP ( like OEM).

R55 Clubman S

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2009-Cooper-R55-S_Clubman-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Exterior/Body/Spoiler/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM
bugeye1031
Take look at Volvo R wagons from 10 to 15 years ago. They have a spoiler that extends straight back...we could something similar and attach it to the glass...split in the middle for the doors... Could attach with aluminum L brackets glued to the glass... This approach would not create much down force but it would move the low pressure area further back. Same could be done under the rear bumper. Could also add air tabs which would further reduce the turbulence right behind the car. I think all of this could be done without dramatically changing the appearance of the car...
What do you think?

Old 09-27-2017, 12:33 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Well we carry Leap ( Leap works ) now so we have many options for the R55 Clubman crowd. Carbon fiber and Molded FRP ( like OEM).

R55 Clubman S

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2009-Cooper-R55-S_Clubman-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Exterior/Body/Spoiler/

I like those, but you have to also have the OEM low profile spoiler already installed. They won’t work on the JCW spoiler, either.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, on Clubman,Clubman S, or JCW with this spoiler installed.

Not for the JCW spolier installed.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 AM
bugeye1031
Source for custom rear wing/spoiler for the Clubman

Alloy Racing Fabrications in the UK has fabricated some Clubman wings. They have a nice design. Cost would be something like $500 to $600 including powdercoating, but not shipping. They would consider a group buy, which I would coordinate if anyone else is interested.

Facebook Post

Attached Thumbnails Rear Wing-clubman-wing-1.jpg   Rear Wing-clubman-wing-6.jpg   Rear Wing-clubman-wing-12.jpg   Rear Wing-clubman-wing-2.jpg   Rear Wing-clubman-wing-3.jpg  

RonGonsalves (03-19-2018)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
Alloy Racing Fabrications in the UK has fabricated some Clubman wings. They have a nice design. Cost would be something like $500 to $600 including powdercoating, but not shipping. They would consider a group buy, which I would coordinate if anyone else is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/alloyracing...type=3&theater
I find that wing very interesting... However, I think it doesn't go well with the Clubman body design. Would also like to see how the rear doors open.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 AM
bugeye1031
I find that wing very interesting... However, I think it doesn't go well with the Clubman body design. Would also like to see how the rear doors open.
I agree with the conflicts with the Clubman body design. I'd like to see a different cross-section shape for the wing....something with less flip-up at the rear....more of a flat cross section*. This would extend the rear roof line. The other concern is the end plates...they make the rear quarter look heavier...or more bulky. This approach on the end plates works pretty well for the GP1 and GP2, but its probably because they are shorter and the rear profile isn't as close to vertical as a Clubman.

*I'm not sure the flip-up, akin to a gurney flap, is really the best approach for a Clubman...might create a lot of unnecessary drag.....not that I'm an aero engineer. Interesting to note that the GP1 and GP2 rear spoilers have a flatter cross section...no flip up like this one. Another concern with a flatter cross-section is safety - it might be pretty easy to lean over and knock your forehead on the trailing edge....might be able solve that concern with some edge trim.

It would be good to see how the doors open.

I suppose all of this depends on what the objectives are....race car aero? Unique/cool modding? track day aero? improved appearance? less dirt/grit on barn doors? ??

Old 01-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Ben Hayes
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is looking good. I'm also attempting a custom spoiler, but much less "custom" and just purchased a universal one I could try to mount on somewhere. Nice job!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...the-cheap.html

Old 01-06-2020, 09:41 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the solution I came up with for my "slipstream spoiling" question... it's not a rear wing at all and some may find it to be a little bit "aftermarkety/Mitsu Evo" looking but it was dirt cheap and does help reduce the dust on the rear windows (maybe as much as 50%). I decided to do it based on the theory of the strakes on the old Boeing 707 wings which help keep the air attached to the upper surface. The idea being that if I could keep the air attached to the roof and introduce little vortices into the slipstream, it would introduce enough disturbed air into the vacuum sucking road grit up from under the car and curling it back onto the rear windows to keep it lower and avoid it pulling the dirt up as far as the windows.

I've grown quite fond of the look because it does what I wanted it to do functionally, is low in profile/subtle and still adds a second read aggressive appearance to the car. People don't seem to notice it right off but note that the car appears more mean than other Clubbys.

The whole car is dirty here, but when washed, the strakes cut down my window washing by half, easliy.

Originally Posted by dkdzyn
I've been looking for some sort of Clubman applicable wing or aerodynamic device too, but not for looks or downforce but to force air around to the rear window to help keep it cleaner. I know that the Kammback design of the Clubman purposely creates a vacuum behind the rear that's supposed to cleanly detach the slipstream, but the resulting road grime being sucked up onto the rear doors and windows is a bit of a nuisance and makes an otherwise clean car look unkempt.

Does anyone have any ideas about reducing road grime sucking up onto the rear surfaces?

bugeye1031 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Never seen that on an R55, was going to say it has an EVO look. Thats great they cut down on the "dirty boot" problem.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:23 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
'Technical term for those would be "turbulators". They can be very effective for aerodynamic modifications.

dkdzyn (01-06-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:20 PM
bugeye1031
Where did you get them? TIA

Old 03-23-2020, 12:31 PM
StingRay Ray
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on the cheap

not to bad but definitely keeps the back windows clean doubt it does anymore than that

bugeye1031 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 12:49 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Nice! I'm looking at something similar as an add-on to my S rear spoiler.

Originally Posted by StingRay Ray
not to bad but definitely keeps the back windows clean doubt it does anymore than that

bugeye1031 (03-23-2020)