R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 17 (possibly) buying a 2010 Mini clubman s

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM
Conner Peals
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 (possibly) buying a 2010 Mini clubman s

I've been looking at this forum for a little while, trying to find things out, but I think it'd be better if I asked some of you.

Do you think it'd be a good first car? And what are some problems that I should look for/things that I should do, if I do get it?

I've read a lot of mixed reviews from other places and I just don't know what to do..

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As long as you are somewhat handy and have some extra cash to feed it along the way...I'm sure others will chime in with the particulars.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get the car inspected by a shop that specialized in MINIs, or a MINI dealership before you buy. It'll cost a little bit, but if anything is wrong, you'll know what up-front repairs you have. Those costs can be offset by the price of the vehicle.

They are great cars and as long as you're interested in maintenance and learning about the details, it's a good first car.

I was never a car guy until I got my R55 and I love her to death. Learned a lot along the way and have even done a repair or two myself. So if you have any interest in getting under the hood, then I say go for it.

However, repairs can be expensive so definitely get it inspected before hand so you know what you could be in store for.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:31 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
2010 MCS clubman will have the N14 engine, infamous for reliability issues. Some common issues include timing chain (stretching, tensioner backing out, plastic guides breaking), thermostat leaks, oil filter housing gasket leaks, turbo oil line leak. Look up N14 engine reliability here on the forum and there's a lot of stories. In 2011 MINI updated the lineup and one of the updates was a revised engine, the N18 for S models. So far it's been more reliable than the N14 and there were also interior, exterior and option updates to go along. If you can, I'd recommend getting a 2011+ mini cooper S to avoid most of the catastrophic issues plaguing the N14.

The clubman platform is a great first car small, practical, easy to park, extremely fun to drive. 2011+ clubmans will be a better bet for staying on the road much more than in the shop.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
^^^^ what 3lusive said. Please heed that advice