Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Horrid Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Halibut03
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrid Engine Knocking

My 2009 MINI Clubman with 100,200 miles started to make a Horrid knocking sound and now the mechanic says I need a new motor !!!

On my way to work (20-miles from the house) our mini started to make a knocking noise about the time I got to work. I drove another 5 miles to get to a mechanic recommended by the local MINI community. The mini ran fine to the repair shop with no sputtering, stalling or loss of power, just the knocking noise.

See video on YouTube

Mechanic says our mini needs a new motor.

And only the $9,000 motor has addressed the design defected timing belt tension-er and vacuum pump seal.

This is what the mechanic wrote up on their work ticket:

Knocking Noise?
Trouble shooting knocking noise.
2 qts low on engine oil. (Note I had just put in a quart of oil 3-4 days earlier).
Looked for oil leak. Found none.
Found noise coming from upper part of engine.
Very Bad engine knock on start up and keeps knocking when warm.

Mechanic says he does not have the tools to pull the variable timing valves, and it would cost him several thousand dollars to get the tools. I talked to another shop in town Juneau, Alaska and he said he has two other mini’s in his lot with similar symptoms and it will cost more to fix it than they are worth and suspect my mini is in he same situation.

All the time we have owned our mini, I never heard the “timing belt death rattle” noise.

Is there something I can ask our mechanic here in Juneau Alaska to check?

What other options do we have?
New motor?
Send 2000 miles south to nearest dealer?
Lawn Ornament?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
the knocking was loud from the bottom!!!

there is way to at least locate wich cyl is knocking. while the car is running, disconnect one coil pack at a time for few seconds. although you will have a misfire, you can notice whether the knock is gone or got lower. let us know/post a vid

Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
most definitely oil out the exhaust, white smoke is oil. Sounds like a main bearing to me.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
any update?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Halibut03
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Mechanic?

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
any update?
I can't find a good mechanic that will replace the motor. Thinking of shipping it to Seattle Washington. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good mechanic there who will replace or rebuild an engine?

My poor MINI is parked in back yard growing moss

Old 08-28-2017, 05:22 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
does it have a check engine light?

when you press gas, does the noise get louder and faster or just faster?

can you yourself remove the valve cover and see what is going on there?

I would love to do the rebuilt for you but im out in philly. I charge $800 flat rate and parts and shipping on you.

check autotrasport411.com for quotes. im in philly PA 19111

Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 AM
jacobarber
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Halibut03
I can't find a good mechanic that will replace the motor. Thinking of shipping it to Seattle Washington. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good mechanic there who will replace or rebuild an engine?

My poor MINI is parked in back yard growing moss
I've had plenty of work done at Precision Motorworks. They've helped maintain my wife's old '79 BMW 320i and my 2009 MCS. Prices are reasonable and the owner and his mechanics are very friendly and knowledgeable. There may be cheaper shops in the greater Seattle area, but I'd give them a call.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Oil level

If you drain all the oil and refill with new to proper level- does it change the noise? You may just have a partial broken chain rail. This could be an easy fix. The broken piece will be in your oil pan or under valve cover.
please don't replace your motor out of fear until a proper inspection can be done. At the right shop this is a morning repair and you are driving by lunch time.
Good luck..