Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Vacuum Pump Carnage

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 PM
IDoSeaDoo
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vacuum Pump Carnage

Hey guys. Picked up a new project couple weeks back. A pretty 2009 Clubman S that had a vacuum pump fail. I've heard of this calamity before with Minis but didn't expect to ever actually see it. Sure enough, it stopped the exhaust cam, which sheared off the cam bolt. The chain is a mangled mess. I'm hoping the timing case isn't too chewed up. Has anyone had this happen before?

My biggest question right now is do I need a new VANOS sprocket? Would the force to shear off the exhaust sprocket damage the VANOS? Anyone ever come back from such an event?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
That is a good question.

I did a rebuilt for a guy who had this calamity. I used both sprockets with no issues. His friend drove it from philly PA to chicago.

it is also worth inspecting the sprockets for cracks specially the ones pressed against the crank shaft.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:42 AM
IDoSeaDoo
2nd Gear
replacing timing parts

I'll be replacing the timing components, including that lower gear, as it seems to come with all the kits I find. The chain is ruined, from the few bad links I saw just peering down into the timing chamber. The guides could have taken a hit during this ordeal,and for the extra $100, I'd rather just know it's all new. I plan to let my wife keep this instead of her honda. The honda turned out to be a big loser, only averaging 28mpg. With those numbers, might as well drive a fun toy car.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:46 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
not a bad deal..lol

I assume you are taking the oil pan down and cleaning it, right. also, be aware of metal shavings. most likely the oil dipstick guide (right next to the bottom gear to the right) is broken.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 AM
IDoSeaDoo
2nd Gear
Oh yea. Oil pan is coming down. There could be chunks of stuff down there. Besides, while I have the head off to replace the valves, I plan on replacing the rings as well. Another cheap upgrade ($100) that makes a massive difference in how these cars drive. My first mini had bad valves and 110k miles. I checked the ring gap and it was massive. Put new rings in there and that car drove way better than all the other 2nd Gen mini's I've ever driven. The power was very pleasing

Now if only I could figure out an economical way to install an oil catch can for the rear PCV... Only thing I've found is to block that PCV, which IMO is guaranteed to force oil in the wrong places and build crank case pressure during traffic jams.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
nice...it will be a nice project
the OCC is something i've never done.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 PM
IDoSeaDoo
2nd Gear
What is OCC?

So the Mini is back together, and boy is she a monster?! I forgot how fun these are to drive. It has so much power, that I'm ordering a torque strap insert. When the engine shifts under hard acceleration, the motor snaps back too much. Otherwise, it runs great. Strong and smooth.

As I was disassembling/cleaning, I found so much debris all over the oil pan. Both guides were destroyed, as were three teeth on the crank sprocket. Good thing I ordered a new one. As preventative maintenance, I tig welded the fittings to the turbo oil feed-pipe. I've always had those leak and don't trust them anymore. So far so good, car doesn't leak or smoke. I put in new piston rings and all new valves (2 were bent, and all intake valves were terribly gummed up. I also washed out the valve cover PCV system with detergent and degreaser. When I shook it, I could hear something moving inside, which indicates that the PCV valve component is not stuck. However, after starting and running the car, I did verify that the pcv hose still had oil residue on the inside. I have an oil catch can coming for it, just have to source some 3/4" hose that won't collapse under vacuum.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
there's some threads documenting how to block off the vac pump and run a GM electric pump instead

Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the rebuild or damage before?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172