Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help! Bad stuttering/rough idle/reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Morgan Johnson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Bad stuttering/rough idle/reduced engine power

Hi, so this is my first Mini I've ever owned. 2011 Mini Cooper S Clubman. Ill start off by saying I just bought the car a few months ago. I bought it used at around 73,000 miles. It was running like a dream until I realized I had an oil leak. That was fixed. Then I have a really harsh time even driving now. If I go over about 30 mph the car will shake,/misfire ,the reduced engine power light turns on AND check engine, and then my acceleration is really rough from there on. 45-50 is the worst. Some days is worse than others. Now as of today I drove about 7 miles, and then my battery light comes on in red (alternator??) I'm just so fed up!

Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Highly probable: High pressure fuel pump. $1k parts only. Simple to change yourself if you are so inclined. Let us know if you need help.

Red battery symbol, try changing the battery first. Check the serpentine belt is intact. In good shape.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
+1

Also, can you take it back to the folks you bought it from and see if they can help?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
yesti
5th Gear
I missed the fact that your check engine light is on. Believe it or not, that is a good thing. Have the code scanned and _maybe_ you'll get lucky and diagnose a misfire on a specific cylinder. Minimum is change spark plug and/or coil pack for that cylinder, although both of those items should be changed as a set of four (it's worth the few extra bucks in headache, believe me). Dont get the delphi coil packs on amazon for $25, they are made in china and are the reason youre here. If that doesn't solve the problem one other thing before throwing in the towel on the HPFP is changing the diverter valve on the turbo. If the diaphragm is torn you will get those symptoms as well. $65 for the part and 3 screws to replace that, easy job but in a tight space.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:36 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Plugs fail often and I've never had any last more than 30K

Old 02-27-2017, 01:51 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Plugs fail often and I've never had any last more than 30K
but bmw says they'll last 60k, just like how the oil lasts 15k! I always have a price watch for plugs active.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I easily get 50K+ on a set of plugs. Actually at 138K just put in the third set.

But you drive the car hard, like you stole it. Slow city driving is not good for these S cars. They really need to be driven to keep them from getting all carboned up. Any 2nd gen S that does not see more 3000 rpm for good periods of time will carbon up.

Alos of note it that at 138K is when i replaced the timing chain and took off the intake manifold for the first time and although ther was alittle carbon buold up it was minor compared to what i have seen an many.

But like I said I drive it hard.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I easily get 50K+ on a set of plugs. Actually at 138K just put in the third set.

But you drive the car hard, like you stole it. Slow city driving is not good for these S cars. They really need to be driven to keep them from getting all carboned up. Any 2nd gen S that does not see more 3000 rpm for good periods of time will carbon up.

Alos of note it that at 138K is when i replaced the timing chain and took off the intake manifold for the first time and although ther was alittle carbon buold up it was minor compared to what i have seen an many.

But like I said I drive it hard.
Are you tuned? Seems like high levels of boost (~20psi) wear out plugs, among other things, at quite a rapid pace.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Morgan Johnson
Hi, so this is my first Mini I've ever owned. 2011 Mini Cooper S Clubman. Ill start off by saying I just bought the car a few months ago. I bought it used at around 73,000 miles. It was running like a dream until I realized I had an oil leak. That was fixed. Then I have a really harsh time even driving now. If I go over about 30 mph the car will shake,/misfire ,the reduced engine power light turns on AND check engine, and then my acceleration is really rough from there on. 45-50 is the worst. Some days is worse than others. Now as of today I drove about 7 miles, and then my battery light comes on in red (alternator??) I'm just so fed up!
If it's the high pressure fuel pump, call the dealer and give your VIN to see if it's covered under warranty. I got a letter for my 2011 MCS Hardtop that extended the HPFP warranty to 10 years/120k miles. This might be for US only. I don't know if the MCS Clubman has the same warranty and I don't know if that's the issue causing your symptoms but worth checking with the dealer on any recalls for you VIN.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:42 PM
STS-1
1st Gear
The high pressure fuel pump on my 2009 R55 Clubman S may be failing. For the last week, it has been intermittently stalling on startup.

This morning it took four attempts before it would idle. The first three attempts, it started, ran for a couple seconds, then died... as if starved for fuel. The last attempt it ran a bit "choked", then kicked up to 1200 rpm, then settled back down to idle- as if it finally built enough fuel pressure.

Once running, it runs smoothly although sport mode feels a wee bit anemic (and I'm tuned- NM ECU flash, bigger turbo, IC, CAI, full Magnaflow exhaust).

My indy mechanic suspects it's the HPFP.

I called both MINI and the dealer. At 144k miles, I'm out of the extended warranty coverage. The dealer will not cover under good will because I have not been "loyal", using an indy shop for the last three years.

I asked MINI if they would cover the repair pro rata since I'm over 120k. Was told that is highly unlikely, and I would need to have a MINI dealer diagnose first.

Dealer wants $145 for diagnostic. I'm torn about even attempting to get them to cover. Looks like a long shot.

Also was told the reason the part is so expensive is to subsidize the warranty/goodwill repairs for the loyal dealer customers. They have two price structures- one for retail and a far cheaper price for loyal customers.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by STS-1
The high pressure fuel pump on my 2009 R55 Clubman S may be failing. For the last week, it has been intermittently stalling on startup.

This morning it took four attempts before it would idle. The first three attempts, it started, ran for a couple seconds, then died... as if starved for fuel. The last attempt it ran a bit "choked", then kicked up to 1200 rpm, then settled back down to idle- as if it finally built enough fuel pressure.

Once running, it runs smoothly although sport mode feels a wee bit anemic (and I'm tuned- NM ECU flash, bigger turbo, IC, CAI, full Magnaflow exhaust).

My indy mechanic suspects it's the HPFP.

I called both MINI and the dealer. At 144k miles, I'm out of the extended warranty coverage. The dealer will not cover under good will because I have not been "loyal", using an indy shop for the last three years.

I asked MINI if they would cover the repair pro rata since I'm over 120k. Was told that is highly unlikely, and I would need to have a MINI dealer diagnose first.

Dealer wants $145 for diagnostic. I'm torn about even attempting to get them to cover. Looks like a long shot.

Also was told the reason the part is so expensive is to subsidize the warranty/goodwill repairs for the loyal dealer customers. They have two price structures- one for retail and a far cheaper price for loyal customers.

call a junk yard or search ebay and buy a used one.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:40 PM
STS-1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
call a junk yard or search ebay and buy a used one.
Man, I would if I had that kind of time this week. But my commute is 140 miles and I can't futz around since this car is my daily. But you're right, pick a part would be the ticket.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:45 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by STS-1

So...if you're "loyal" you get butt raped often enough that they give you a discount on a known defective/poorly engineered part when it fails. i'd rather just bite the bullet and buy from the dealer as a last resort, fix everything myself if possible and be better off in the long run. that's the plan anyway, who knows how it will really work out. I do know all the work I've done was way cheaper doing it myself than having the dealer do it just to get "loyalty points" towards my HPFP. What is the "loyal" customer price for a HPFP? Can you buy it alone and do the labor yourself?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 AM
furnitureman9
2nd Gear
MiniToBe

I have a 2009 Clubman JCW and had the same exact problems with my HPFP. Mine was covered under the HPFP recall. Done deal and fixed the issue. Now runs like a dream again.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 AM
guspi76
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Buy used HPFP on ebay

There are a few r56's and r55's on ebay for parts. Get a used one for about 250-300 dlls used. Easy to change. That should get you going. Also, check the condition of your spark plugs make sure they are not soaked in fuel. If they are, your injectors may have failed. Good luck.