R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2010 Clubman - Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Random1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Clubman - Blown Head Gasket

So I have a 2010 Clubman (Non-S, Manual). ~$75k miles.

The head gasket blew. Didn't get a CEL until the last couple blocks (drove maybe 7miles from first sputter to CEL). Water dumped into the oil/crank. Engine doesn't seem to be toast, but hard to tell unless it's torn down. Not a happy camper.

Thing is, I've been considering getting a new car lately. I'm not all that car handy, can change oil/plugs, the basics, but this is beyond me and the cost to repair is so high it's probably not worth it to get it done merely to sell it.

Other than that, it's in great shape and fairly loaded on options, etc. How difficult do you think it will be to sell as-is and what could I realistically expect to get?

Last edited by Random1; 02-19-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM
PanchoS
Neutral
I bought a 09 Club non-S w/105k for $3000, knowing the oil pan, valve cover gasket were leaking like a river. I knew from this forum, it was likely to need a timing chain, water pump. In addition, it needed tires, brakes, tune up and some minor cosmetic stuff.

I normally would not chance something like this but my wife was 'desperate for one'. I took the chance. So if I had seen yours, I would have offered a $2000-2500 tops (if the body and interior were very good), knowing that a rebuild by an independent would be $3000-5000.....and a used/rebuilt engine is probably 5000-10000. Those prices are just guesstimating! That would have been my thought process. GOOD LUCK! You should try to sell it on here......

Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Random1
Neutral
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the car is in awesome condition. Would probably be worth about $12k easy with a good Engine (it was $28k new). Has most the options. I'm fairly easy on my cars. A good detail and it'd pretty much look new. A couple minor scratches on the tail end of the roof from setting boxes on it.

If I was more handy I could buy a scrap mini for a few hundred bucks, tear them both down and rebuild one... but then I'd just have another used engine that has (from what I've seen overall) proven to be a bit of a money sink in the long run. And a crate motor looks like around at least 75% or more of what the car would be worth running well. Just not worth it for me to deal with.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:51 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
not sure how the head gasket blew, but if it is the only thing to do on the car, it should not be that expensive to replace the HG.

I rebuilt N14 engines for 800 labor only.